The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

lose weight but get bigger

right now im about 6-2 217lbs but with over 20% bf i have a decent amount of muscle but i still want to get bigger. but i also want to lose a lot of this fat but my problem is i dont want to lose any muscle and i want to gain more muscle at the same time. it seems like with all the food and protein i have to consume that i wont lose the fat. and if i eat less i will lose my muscle. my basic diet is something like this:
    7am protein shake 1 scoop optimum 1 cup of 1%milk
    10am 6inch subway turkey sandwich with cheese light mayo
    and/or homemade protein bar (pb,oats,honey, whey)
    12pm some type sandwich usually grilled chicken, baked chips, diet pepsi
    3pm homemade protein bar or beef jerky
    5.30pm dinner: steak and salad light dressing
    9pm protein shake 2 scoops whey, 2cups milk, 1cup yogurt

so im basically wondering what i can do to lose the fat but keep and gain muscle?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Run a search for a more detailed answer. But for a short answer...itís very hard to cut and gain muscle at the same time. To gain muscle you need to have calories over maintenance. However to loose fat (seeing fat in the stomach is the least to go for 99% of guys) you need to have calories below. So its kind hard to do, seeing those processes equal each other out. However you can go on a cut to loose fat, and keep your muscle by keeping your protein levels high. But like I said run a search around here, thereís tons of threads like this.

Losing fat is a catabolic process.

Gaining muscle is an anabolic process.

It is very difficult to do both processes at the same time.

I suggest you concentrate on dropping body fat first (while sparing as much muscle mass as you can).

Here are some tips for sparing muscle mass

1) drop calories slowly (aim to lose 1-1.5lbs (2lbs tops) per week)

2) Keep protein high (1.5g per 1lb bodyweight) (this is a rule that I need to follow more strictly myself)

3) Train more often. In other words, increase the frequency of your workouts (hit each body part at least 2x per week, maybe even 3)
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Looks like your cals are very close to on-target for losing weight. Read the sticky "What a bodybuilder eats" and follow it.

Just drop some fat and then bulk up. If you do it right, it won't take that long to do.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Also, you can strip fat while retaining muscle, at least 99% of it, if you do it right. Keep the protein up, and get your carbs mainly from fruits and veggies, although oatmeal is an ideal breakfast item for cutting or bulking.

I never eat oatmeal for breakfast - makes me too freaking HUNGRY if I eat carbs in the morning.

The biggest name of the game for cutting is appetite control. Figure out a mix that lets you drop your calories by no more than say 20% while not wanting to chew your arm off all day.

The advise on protein is sound - keep it high. I keep mine around 1.5g/lb LBM, and fats at no lower than 0.5g/lb LBM while cutting. Starchy carbs, because they MIGHT make you hungry, may be best kept to the meal just before and or just after you lift.

Toss in a cheat meal or day every few weeks. Good for your metabolism, and good for your soul.

hardgaining ectomorph
    If you're a n00b like me....it happens automatically. =)

Of course, I'm a n00b every 6 months because I always quit after 3 months of lifting because I'm lazy and then go back to it.

If you're not new, then pick a goal and run with it.
    I'm Dark, I'm Dan...I'm Darkdan
    Journal

I tried for 2 years to loose weight and gain at the same time.... 2 freakin years! I lost 100 lbs, but I also had only minimal strenght gains. In the last month of bulking my workouts have gone THROUGH THE ROOF... lesson here.... I should have listened to everybody from the start, bulk or cut, don't try to do both at the same time

Wannabebig Member
    You can gain muscle and lower your bodyfat at the same time, but you will still be gaining weight. I'll assume you meant lose fat and not lose weight since gaining muscle while losing weight is an oxymoron (muscle weighs more than fat). Stay on a good diet, do a little cardio but not a lot, and lift hard.

Quote Originally Posted by Scottyboy
    You can gain muscle and lower your bodyfat at the same time, but you will still be gaining weight.
    Not if you're fairly fat to begin with, and untrained.

I dropped 25 lbs my first year of lifting, and I was overweight to start with.

I went from 170 lbs to 145 lbs, and probably packed on about 8-10 lbs of LBM in that time.

But I was completely untrained in the beginning.
    I'll assume you meant lose fat and not lose weight since gaining muscle while losing weight is an oxymoron
    Nope. See above.

Stay on a good diet, do a little cardio but not a lot, and lift hard.
    Yep.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    It's hard, yet possible to put on LBM while losing fat. It however is virtually impossible to put on more LBM than fat lost.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    It's hard, yet possible to put on LBM while losing fat. It however is virtually impossible to put on more LBM than fat lost.
    Exactly. Which is why you'll generally still see the scale go down.