The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 5 of 113 FirstFirst ... 345671555105 ... LastLast
    Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Friday August 27, 2004
    Back, Bicep & Abs

Workout:
    repsXweight
    • Pullups
      8.5xBW, 6xBW

• One-Arm DB Row
      10:10x40, 10:10x45, 9:9x50

• Seated Cable Row
      10x125, 6.5x135, 7.5x135, 6.5x135

• DB Shrugs
      7x60s, 8x60s, 8x60s, 9x60s

• BB Curls
      9x50, 9x50

• Lever Preacher Curls
      8x75, 6x80

• One-Arm Concentration Curls
      4:4x35, 6:5.5x35

• Crunches

• Raised Leg Crunches

• Left Side Crunches

• Right Side Crunches

• Twists
      50 w/ 8lb ball

Cardio:
    None

Other:
    16 sets substance stretching, held in 1:00 to 2:00 for each.
    5 sets light stretching, held in :10 to :30 for each.

Comments:
    Very good day!

This new routine is working great! I'd like to thank all those who helped, especially Jeff. You guys are teh shiz 1n d4 cuzt0m1z1n 0f t3h r00t33n~13/!!

I wasn't sure what I could do with the DB Rows, so the reps are high. With the 40's was easy. the 10 reps with the 45's is legit and solid. I will be starting with 50's next time however.

My biceps were really dead before I started there isolation. I'm not sure if it's that, or if I just stink at BB curls... but I was doing much less than usual. Same with the concentration, but that was definately because my bi's were done for.

Checked my weight today again, 151! I feel good now that I have solidly beat my July goal, even if it is a little late.

Comments and critique welcome and appreciated!
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Hey thanks Mitch. Glad the site could help out. As you work this routine you can definitely change things up it you feel it's not working out for ya.

Great work hitting your weight goal. upward and onward!

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Good Workout Session!!

What are the lever preacher curls?
    If the bar aint bending your just pretending!!!!

My journal!

Jeff: So far it is working for me, though my biceps seem to be dead before I start there isolation.

BIG C:
    Last edited by AlterSh0ck; 08-28-2004 at 11:38 AM.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

If you really feel the bi's are too tired an alternative would be to work tri's with back and bi's with chest. The triceps are relatively fresh after back so you can hit hard and the same goes for the biceps on chest day.

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Keep it up, Mitch.

BTW, what's with the low pullup reps?
    My Stats
    Weight: 180
    Height: 5'8''

Rook: The problem is if I did Back on Monday, and then Bicep on Tuesday, I would have already worked bicep on monday while doing back, AND then doing bicep again on tuesday. You know what I mean? Either way, it's not a big problem. As long as I am working them well, which I am with this routine.

Zearoth: Unassisted.
    Last edited by AlterSh0ck; 08-28-2004 at 04:54 PM.

Mitch, what's your schedule looking like? It seems like you're sporatically just going to the gym on certain days.
    My Stats

Chun: I've been busy with wrestling, out of towners, and some other temporary stuff... so at the current moment, I just go whenever I have a moment to. Whether this is everyday, every 2 days, or some other pattern, it's what I have to live with. But yea, my schedule shoud clean up after this weekend, and definately when school starts.

Quote Originally Posted by AlterSh0ck
    Rook: The problem is if I did Back on Monday, and then Bicep on Tuesday, I would have already worked bicep on monday while doing back, AND then doing bicep again on tuesday. You know what I mean? Either way, it's not a big problem. As long as I am working them well, which I am with this routine.
    lol, just let me know when I offer too many suggestions, however here's one more. I've often do legs between two upper body days. This allows the upper body to recoop some before you hit it again. Anyway, just a thought as you refine this routine of yours.

Monday August 30, 2004
    Chest, Tricep, & Abs

Workout:
    repsXweight
    • BB Bench Press
      Warm Up Set, 10x135, 8x145, 8x145, 7x159, 8x150

• Incline Lever Chest Press (side-grip)
      7.5x120, 9x120, 6x135

• Standing Flies
      10x100

• Pushdowns
      10x55, 8x60, 6x60

• Skullcrushers
      10x50, 8x50, 9x50

• Crunches

Cardio/Activities:
    15 minutes rollerblading

Other:
    None

Comments:
    Below-par day.

I forgot to print out and bring my new routine, so I had to try to remember it there. I got it almost right, except totally forgot about dips =/.

Good bench sets, 8x150 is a new PR I think (I was doing 4x155 a few weeks ago, never tried 150).

I felt something =/ish in my bicep on the second set of standing flies. My form has never been good on these, and I think that was the problem. I'm gonna have to find a replacement for them.

I really felt those skulls, good sets.

Checked my weight today again, 150. Last time, I thought it was 151, but it actually was 150.1. Stupid me lol, anyways I was the same weight today.

Today was an abs day, but during the first set of crunches I started to sweat like crazy. I decided to just get up, leave, and do it tommorow... when I noticed the mat area hotter than the rest of the gym. Why? I do not know. But I'm guessing that's why I was sweating. Abs will be done tommorow.

So with the miss of 2 fly sets, and the miss of dips as an exercise, today wasn't a great day at the gym. Tommorow my pass expires =/. I might sign up for one more month, since I don't think my school gym will be open everday until mid/end september.

Last edited by AlterSh0ck; 08-31-2004 at 03:42 PM.

Tuesday August 31, 2004
    Legs, Shoulders & Abs

Workout:
    repsXweight
    • Decline Sled Leg Press
      10x270, 10x300, 10x325

• Seated Leg Extention
      9x165, 6x180

• Lying Leg Curls
      10x90, 6x100, 6x100

• Standing Calf Raises
      12x325, 14x325, 11x325, 11x325

• Shoulder Press (lever)
      7x90, 5.5x90, 6x90

• BB Upright Row
      9x70, 8x75, 7.5x75

• TVOs
      5x10s, 4x10s

• Crunches

• Raised Leg Crunches

• Left Side Crunches

• Right Side Crunches

Cardio/Activities:
    13 minutes rollerblading

Other:
    16 sets full body substance stretching, held in 1:00 to 1:30 for each.
    Other light stretching.

Comments:
    Solid day.

It seems like everyweek my legs get stronger! If I'm not mistaken, just last week I was leg pressing 320x6, but today I did 325x10. I've gotta start with higher weight next time, but I still felt the sets nonetheless.

I decided to use front (regular) grip on the shoulder presses. Before I was using sidegrip. I've gotta say, regular grip is alot harder. I feel it more though.

Don't feel like explaining this each workout... TVO's are done slow, bla blah blah close sets blah blah.

Some kid wouldn't leave me alone. ****er kept following me, asking what school I go to, what courses I am taking, how old I am, and then starts telling me about himself. Goes on about some Hockey game he played, but stopped since it was obvious I had no interest in listening. Yea, so the scrub does 1 set of every muscle group, and then leaves. Gotta love em

On Auto Pilot:******* Huge Alke's Avatar
    hey, saw the pics...props on obtaining such awesome cuts!

you doing a slow bulk now?
    My Journal
    Progress Pic

1RM's
    30MAY03 = 800 Total - Bench 230, Squat 245, Deadlift 325
    22OCT04 = 960 Total - Bench 275, Squat 305, Deadlift 380

Most push-ups in one minute = 102 (BW:195lbs)

Some men see things as they are and say, "Why?" I dream things that never were and say, "Why not?" - George B. Shaw

FOOD is my drug of choice

Alke: Thanks for replying. And yep, slow bulk. Originally I was just going for a bulk, but I really can't seem to get something like 4000 cals and 220 g protein in me (time restraints; parents cant do groceries 3 times a week). Right now I am packing in 3000-3300 cals a day, and around 140g protein.

Stay motivated and keep pumping the iron!

My Stats

Hey Mitch, nice work on the leg day. Getting increases is great and 4pps will be yours in no time. Also nice strength on the extensions. Keep it up and make sure you're adding enough calories to be gaining weight.

Brian: Thanks for the reply.

Jeff: I can probably do 4pps at the moment, 2 or 3 reps. But yea man, I am hoping to be repping with 5pps by my birthday in January. We'll see how that goes. Thanks for the reply!

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    This is what I suggest, replace the shoulder press machine, with dumbells (works stabalizers aswell) Change Tvo's to Lateral Raises, imo they work better (for me). Anywayz, good day overall keep it up
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Nito: I would gladly do it with DBs, but I have no spotter. I will be using DB's at school. I find TVOs to be better than Lateral Raises. TVO's work more than one part of your delt, as lat raises obviously don't. Thanks for the advice though man

Good workout. What's TVO's? And I don't see squats or deadlifts.

debussy: It's basically DB raises, where you make the letters T, then V, then O. As for squats, I don't do them. I am planning on starting deads soon.

Wednesday September 1, 2004
    Back & Bicep

Workout:
    repsXweight
    • Pullups
      8xBW, 7xBW

• One-Arm DB Row
      10:10x50s, 8:8x55s, 8:8x60s

• Seated Cable Row
      10x120, 7x135, 8x135, 5x140

• Front Pulldown
      9x120, 5x135, 5x135

• DB Shrugs
      10x60s, 7x65s, 7x65s, 7x65s

• BB Curls
      6x55, 4.5x55

• Lever Preacher Curls
      8x75, 6x80

• Pullups
      4xBW

Cardio/Activities:
    25 minutes rollerblading
    3 hours wrestling training

Other:
    3 sets substance back stretching, held in 1:00 to 1:30 for each.
    Other light stretching.

Comments:
    Very good day.

Not much to say really. All sets were good.

I nearly dropped the 65s on my last set of shrugs; I MIGHT have been able to do an 8th rep. Damn grip

Bi's were definately dead before I started their isolation. I STILL believe that the bar there is harder, or more than 15 pounds. It just doesn't make much sense lol.

That damn annoying kid from yesterday was there today, again asking me stupid question. I told him to shutup while I was doing pullups, but he didn't listen. I then told him he needs a freakin routine, and 10 minutes later he comes out with the hot trainer. Looks like he is useful after all :P.

Last edited by AlterSh0ck; 09-01-2004 at 04:04 PM.

Ahaha. I saw that kid today DB pressing with 15 DBs, lol. Oh well, everyone starts somewhere, btu thank god I didn't start that low!

Anyways, good workout and keep it up. I woud like to see some deads added to your routine. Try experimenting with them.
    My Stats

Excellent work on the dumbell rows and shrugs. Those rows are great. You'll have to work the grip some but it will come along in due time.

Grip is always a concern, but you'll be better off progressing in line with your grip rather than using straps for now. Once you get into some huge weights, straps can be useful, but definitely work on that grip!