The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 74 1231151 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar

Is the grammar better?

I've been working out since Septermber, 2003 . My progress has been decent; more than doubling the weight I lift as of July 2004. I still however am nowhere near the level of strength I want to (and have to) be. So this journal will hopefully bring in other's insight and recommendations, which will in turn help me in body building.

Schedule:
    Day 1: Biceps/Back
    Day 2: Chest/Triceps
    Day 3: Legs/Shoulders

Abs are done every other training day... aka every 4 days.

As for Cardio... I get more than enough of it rollerblading too and from the gym, and at wrestling training.

Enjoy, comment, critique, and
    Last edited by AlterSh0ck; 09-26-2004 at 11:40 AM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

BAH!!! I hate this school, the gym was closed today. Also on Monday since it Easter. I really cant wait until I can go to the community centre, school gyms really blow. Anyways, Ill update this tonight when I do my night routines.

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Thursday April 8, 2004 - Day Off

Abs:
    - Crunches (50x3)
    - Bikes (50x2)

Cardio:
    - 20 minute walk - Unmeasured
    - 20 minute treadmill run - 2.4 km (1.5m) - 272 calorie burn - 8 km/h (5 mph)
    - 1 hour 20 minutes of Basketball.

Stretching:
    - 40 minutes - Full body stretching (thighs, hamstring, groin, calves, arms, chest, abs)

COMMENTS:
    - School gym closed today . I really hate this, lol. Dont mind my noob-ness please, I am kinda new to this. Also, once I learn what actual muscles im stretching, ill name em.
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-11-2004 at 10:35 PM.

I wannabebig!
    welcome to the journals section shoop, looking forward to watching your progress.

School again closed!!! DAMN MOTHER..... Bah, I'm not even going to say anything!

Friday April 9, 2004

Abs:
    - Crunches (50x1)
    - Bikes (50x1)

Cardio:
    - 30 minutes Basketball
    - 15 minute run - Unmeasured

Stretching:
    - 5 minutes legs, 5 minutes upperbody

COMMENTS:
    The running was just back from a friends house, so it wasnt measured. Tommorow I will probably pay the measly $8 for the community centre gym, since I havent been able to do any workouts in a few days. I also suggest reading the first post if you havent yet, since without reading it, it would seem like I am really lazy with my ab workouts.
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-11-2004 at 10:25 PM.

Sunday April 11, 2004 - Day Off

Cardio:
    - 45 minutes of Basketball

Stretching:
    - 2 minutes sitting staight leg stretch (each leg) (holding middle of back foot)
    - 5 minutes forward splits
    - 5 minutes side splits
    - 2 minutes hamstring sitting stretch (each leg) (one leg crossed over as far as possible)
    - 1 minute bicep overarm stretch (each arm)
    - 1 minute tricep crossover stretch (each arm)

COMMENTS:
    Yet Again, school is closed tommorow. I'll be resuming on Tuesday.
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-11-2004 at 10:34 PM.

gotta get the heavy stuff.. your school doesn't have a bar to do deadlifts with? do they just have those ghetto machines that are like bench pressing where you put the pin in the weights? hate those goddamn things. what are your goals? i see you wanna up 35lbs in benching, what is your routine?

They have proper weights and bench press. But they arent open half the time, and its kinda too small to do deadlifts. If I were to fall, I would hit weights or machines.

if you were to fall over doing deadlifts the machines are the least of your worries. you don't need room at all to do deadlifts, although it would be nicer to have it. squats are a whole other thing, definitely not w/o a squat rack, but i'd bet you could squeeze deadlifts in there, which of course would mean you could do straight legged deadlifts, standing barbell press, barbell shrugs, barbell rows, and all that good stuff. ACTUALLY, you could do hack squats too. i'm saying all this assuming that there's like an area 5 feet behind the bench that stays as wide as the bench, which is not always the case in some school gyms

sorry to drone on but as long as you're doing movements in total control you shouldn't ever worry about falling. i wouldn't recommend you try maxing out in there if you're concerned about space. anyways what's your routine breakdown like?

For Day 1 - Bicep, Forearm, Shoulder

Biceps: Hammer Curls, BB Curls
    Forearm: Farmer's Walks, This other exercise (rolling a weight on rope, up a shaft. Arms at 90 degrees)
    Shoulder: Military Presses, Sitting Rope Pull (up and down; Machine).

Day 2 - Chest, Tris
    Chest - BB Bench, DB Bench, Flys
    Tris - Rope Pushdown (machine), French Curls

Day 3 - Legs, Back
    Legs - Quad Curls, Leg Presses, Bike
    Back - Sitting Rope Pull (forward and back; Machine),
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-12-2004 at 08:22 PM.

the legs and back is hurting, especially the back. i'm assuming you're looking for mass based on your goals. try picking up more compound movements. if you can fit it in that room i'd at least add deadlifts (straight legged and regular), barbell rows, and shrugs. if you add in more compound movements and eat big, adn work hard/smart, i bet you'll have no trouble getting your 150lbs

you know what i just noticed that you're... 15! damn i wish i were lifting seriously at your age, back then i just did curls, curls and curls, and maybe some push/sit ups. i don't know whether or not it would be easier or harder for you to gain weight, but i'm sorry to say i think it may be harder, due to testosterone levels. then again you're still in an all around growing phase. not sure - i'll leave that to someone else.

Yea, I was just 14 two or so months ago. I am seriously just waiting for July to come, I'll be able to use a fully equipped gym. Right now its way to big of a hastle, or very hard to get bulked up in my situation. As long as I make a little progress im happy.
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-12-2004 at 09:23 PM.

It's still great getting started at such an early age. You've got lots of room and time to grow. Getting to a better gym in July will likely help, however you can use the time now to try various exercises and get comfortable with them.

Not really sure if you're looking for suggestions or not, so take this as you see fit. I think your back routine looks a bit light. If the room is just not available for barbell work, you could also do db rows.

Good luck with the workouts.

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Thanks for the advice. I dont worry too much about my back or legs... until now. Anyways, Ill be doing a Day 2 workout Tuesday (today technically), and I expect to have dropped a bit
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-13-2004 at 01:18 AM.

Tuesday April 13, 2004

Chest, Triceps

DB Press:
    12x1x30's
    10x1x35's
    8x2x35's
    6x1x35's

BB Press
    2x1x135

Flys
    10x1x15's
    15x1x15's

Tricep Extention
    15x1x???
    25x1x???
    15x1x???

French Press
    8x1x40

Cardio:
    5 minutes @ roughly 4-5 mph.

COMMENTS:
    The cardio was just a jog home, very easy. The machine I used for the tricep Extention is marked wrong, so I wasnt sure the weight. I know each set I went up by 10. Im guessing it was something like 50,60,70. Maybe more, maybe less. Who knows . Anyways, on the last set of DB presses, I lost my balance a bit because I had tried to re-foot myself.. My spotter wasnt watching (), and one weight drifted down and smacked me right above my crotch. Ouch, cant wait for the bruise lol. Unless I am doing one arm at a time, the weight I post is the TOTAL weight I am lifting at once. Anyways, is welcome!

**Legend**
    Reps
    Sets
    Weight
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-16-2004 at 10:25 PM.

if you're going for increased size/strength you're gonna wanna up the weights and drop the reps. 8 should be the max number reps in any set, except things like calf raises, forearms, maybe shrugs etc

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    if you're going for increased size/strength you're gonna wanna up the weights and drop the reps. 8 should be the max number reps in any set, except things like calf raises, forearms, maybe shrugs etc
    8 reps is good, but a couple more won't kill you either. 25 is way too much though. Like Jazer said, up the weight a bit. Good luck with the journal bud.
    "If we're all God's children....what's so special about Jesus?" - Jimmy Carr

"The only difference between a dead skunk lying in the road and a dead lawyer lying in the road is that there are skid marks around the skunk."
    Patrick Murray.

Don't mistake kindness for weakness.

Thanks for the advice, I usually keep it low when I do BB Presses, but ill make sure to keep it like that for all my exercises.

good luck with the lifting and journal

I didnt think I could do it 25 times. I thought I would max out at 15, maybe not even. But yea, once I start I just go till I max out. Thanks for the advice bro(s).

Damn those spotters!

Me /pwn1ng by Xian Rookie's journal Rookie's Picture Thread

Damn right you will be! We don't mess around down here. Liquor and Steel, that's what we're all about -Casey

ROFL, oh man - I usually wait until I'm on the freeway to do that. What an idiot! -teufy doing what he does best.

You aren't strong enough or pretty enough to train in the evenings with us...better stick to noon workouts with the rest of the geriatrics. - pup

Yeah. I'm a dork. - Teufy

Better yet, "why should anyone's interpretation of divinity govern modern society?" - Twilo

Wednesday April 14, 2004

Back, Legs + Abs

BB Uprow:
    15x1x50
    15x1x65
    10x1x65
    6x1x75
    4.5x1x75

One-Arm DB Row:
    10x1x35 (Each Arm, 2 sets total)
    10x1x40 (Each Arm, 2 sets total)
    7x2x40 (Each Arm, 4 sets total)

Leg Extention:
    10x2x50
    7x1x60

Leg Press:
    10x1x150
    8x1x240

Leg Curls:
    10x1x20
    10x2x30

Bench Lunges (One foot on bench):
    10x1x15's (Each leg, 2 sets total)
    10x1x35's (Each leg, 2 sets total)
    10x1x35's(Each leg, 2 sets total)

Crunches:
    50x3

Bikes:
    50x2

COMMENTS:
    I wasnt sure how much I could do with my back and legs, thats why many sets have higher reps. Also, this is my first day of actually doing leg workouts (I know, its sad). I was just testing out most exercises, which again is why the reps are high. Anyways, no need to comment on the high reps, I know I know . I played some basketball, nothing I would call Cardio though. Also, I post the added total weight. Unless I am doing one arm/leg at a time, the weight I post is the TOTAL weight I am lifting at once. Welcome!

**Legend**
    Reps
    Sets
    Weight
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-16-2004 at 10:24 PM.

Thursday April 15, 2004

Bicep, Shoulders

Hammer Curls:
    10x1x25's

One-Arm Preacher Curls:
    8x1x25's (Each arm, 2 sets total)
    7x1x25's (Each arm, 2 sets total)
    6x2x25's (Each arm, 4 sets total)
    5.5x1x25's (Each arm, 2 sets total)

BB Curls:
    10x1x45
    7x1x50

DB Shoulder Press:
    5x1x30's

Standing Military Press:
    10x1x40 (Easy, just a test).

Sitting Shoulder Press (machine):
    12x1x80
    10x1x90
    10x1x100
    7x1x100
    4x1x110

COMMENTS:
    As with yesterday, today had some high reps. Reasons similar... I am finding out what I can and cannot do with new exercises. Next time, I'll have lower reps in my sets. Anyways, didnt really like the Standing Mili Press, so I dont think Im gonan do this often. I didnt have a fixed spot partner today, so I couldnt do many DB and BB shoulder presses. Anyways, avergae workout. My arms are killing from it, but I think my shoulders lack a bit. I changed my routine, look at post 1 for the change. Today I used my old routine though. Any advice is always welcomed. Cheers till next time.

**Legend**
    Reps
    Sets
    Weight
    Last edited by Shnoop; 04-15-2004 at 10:35 PM.