Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Outer Chest

Wannabebig New Member

Outer Chest

What exercises are best for working the outer chest?

Squats.

Do some dumbells flys. They really stretch out the muscles that connect your chest and shoulders. (That have a name?)

Northlight, the current thinking appears to be that you cannot spot train specific areas of a muscle. Meaning, that if you want to work and grow your outer chest, you will need to just work the entire chest to do so.

So, to make your outer chest bigger, do dips, bench presses (flat, decline, incline), and to some extent pec deck, cable crossovers, or db flyes. And, no, you do not need to do all of those exercise, just pick a few and go at it.
    Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Craig James; 08-20-2001 at 12:11 PM.

Yes. Their called the pectorals. They connect the chest muscle, the pectorals, to the shoulder. So to train the pectorals, you should train the pectorals.

How confusing was that?
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

this is all my fault.

*feels guilty*

*gets over it*

A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

*falls back on dat ass with a hellafied gangsta lean*

I don't know what the hell that means, but its a classic line.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

You guys think u know it all. Is there any proof that you can't "spot" train? People have been saying that decline press works the lower part of your chest. And that Incline works the upper part of your chest. Who is to say that this theory is wrong?

There any proof out there?

Wannabebig Member
    you can do wider grip bench presses. this will work-you'll see.

MACHINE
    No it won't. Just stimulate the pectoral with the most efficient exercises and the muscle will grow. If any part of the pectoral muscle can be stimulated more than another part it's the upper vs lower, and even that is debatable.
    "He's the best damn rollerskater that ever lived...probably in the whole town" - Chris Pontius

If you can't be with the one you love, love the one you're with.

5'10" 215 lbs
    Personal Bests:
    Bench 355
    Squat 505
    Deadlift 560

Muscle, I have altered my thinking on this subject in the last few months, but not completely. Muscles which have fibers running in various directions will often have said portions performing specific functions. For example, the upper fibers of the traps elevate the scapula while the mid fibers primarily retract (if I am remembering this correctly) them, so in the case of the traps you most likely can target specific portions of the muscle. As far as the pectoralis major goes, I don't think there is much isolation that can occur there.

Originally posted by chris mason
    Muscle, I have altered my thinking on this subject in the last few months, but not completely. Muscles which have fibers running in various directions will often have said portions performing specific functions. For example, the upper fibers of the traps elevate the scapula while the mid fibers primarily retract (if I am remembering this correctly) them, so in the case of the traps you most likely can target specific portions of the muscle. As far as the pectoralis major goes, I don't think there is much isolation that can occur there.

*** What Chris said is something that is interesting. Since the fibres are situated in different directions in certain muscles like the traps they have specific functions according to the pattern the muscle fibres run in.

This also occurs in the pectoral major as well. Now if this is true would that not mean the chest actually in theory could be worked
    in different areas?

Your thoughts?
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

Right, but in the pectoralis major the variance in the directions of the fibers is not nearly as dramatic as that of the trapezius.

The fibers in the pecs are all generally horizontal. Right?

The pecs are shaped like triangles with the point facing outwards towards the sides, in a rough sense. Now imagine that a bit more rounded and the fibers starting more or less right where the pecs and delts meet, and running from the top of the sternum to the bottom (roughly). That should give you some idea.

Right, but in the pectoralis major the variance in the directions of the fibers is not nearly as dramatic as that of the trapezius.
    Yeah, that's a good point-- but there is still a distinction between the sternal and clavicular origins of the pectoral; its visible in anyone who has half a chest, myself included.

Its a distinct possibility that seeing as the pec muscle does have two separate origins that the "heads" of the muscle can be emphasized to different degrees.

Wannabebig Member
    I know the wide grips for benches work or at least help a whole lot. I am speaking from experience. This really ties in with the shoulder region to flare out. So try for yourself. This is almost a trademark for me - to argue it would be futile. No one knowis it all and there really are no rules. You will have to try things on your own even while getting advice. I can only tell you the effect I have received over time with my own physique. Add in some flys and so on (experiment)

What about the split in the middle of the chest that can be obtained through training. Is that genetics or what?

Wannabebig Member
    It all upon where you place your hands on the bar. Thats why dumbbells are so useful.

The split is all genetic, that is a shape issue and shape is set in stone. You could make the split more pronounced by increasing the size of the pecs, but that is about it.

*** I agree that that fibre varience is not nearly as dramatic which would mean that the emphasis placed on the different patterns the fibres run would not be as great as the traps.
    But it would still be possible.

I'm undecided on this topic that is why I am not stating anything.
    I must say that it is a interesting topic.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

I don't have any proof, but here are my thoughts. Because of the arrangement of the fibers in the pecs, with some originating from the lower sternum, some from the upper sternum, some from the clavicle, etc., it should be possible to selectively emphasize certain regions of the muscle based on the angle of the arm during adduction. For example, incline presses should utilize the upper fibers more than decline presses, and decline presses should utilize the lower fibers more than incline presses. Thus, for example, incline presses should develop your upper pec size and strength better than decline presses. This is just a hypothesis. I don't know whether anyone has actually done a controlled study to find out whether this is so. When it comes to outer vs inner pecs, we're not talking about different groups of muscle fibers, but rather different ends (distal vs proximal) of the same fibers. I think that it's much less likely that you could preferentially stimulate different sections of the same fibers, so I have my doubts that you can target inner vs outer pecs. Maybe somebody should appply for some funding to carry out a scientific study (which would probably lead to the usual conclusion that "Further work needs to be done ...")

You cannot train separate portions of the chest, period.

This might sound stupid, simply because I don't know much about the anatomy of the human body. But, are the fiber in the inner part of the chest a different size than the fibers on the outer part of the chest?

I know they are the same fiber, but is one end thicker than the other?

This fiber crap is really a non-issue. The clavicular and sternal portions of the pectorals major each share the same fuction and also share a common insertion and origin (because of the pectorals majors origin from the sternum and the anterior surface of the proximal half of the clavicle this is considered to be an extensive but common insertion and origin for all practical purposes and mechanical function of the muscle), thus it is impossible to target different regions.

Let's also just use a little common sense here. It doesn't take very long to realize that working the upper and lower chest to produce disproportionate amounts of hypertrophy doesn't work without even consulting anatomy. Let's go straight to where this phenomenon would be most likely to be seen. The amazing before and after pictures in which normal people like you and I have transformed their bodies to extremes barely imaginable. Note that although steroid use and other illegal practices are often used in these competitions, it would not in any way have an effect on muscle shape, which is what we're looking for here. Take a look at all of these before and after pictures, have you ever, EVER seen the shape of a muscle (specifically the chest) change shape? Didn't think so.

C'mon guys, I thought this one was almost dead....I'm disappointed.