The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Results 1 to 9 of 9
  1. #1
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    39

    Osgood-schlatter

    Has anyone had this disease? I had it since junior high school and my knee still gets messed up now that I'm 23. Knee starts hurting if I run too much or squat too heavy. Was wondering how other people deal with this condition. I usually ice it. Is knee brace useful?

  2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!


  3. #2
    SFW! drew's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    8,156
    Go see an orthopedist

    Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

  4. #3
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    74
    I believe thats characterized with an enlarged tibial tubercle(where the patellar/knee tendon attaches to the tibia tuberosity) - do you have that?.

    Also, I think its from the fact your putting extreme strain on the patellar tendon. Especially since the pain has surfaced again.
    I know the most straightforward management of this is to stop all your activities that are causing the pain (ie. squatting heavy and running too much) for a certain amount of time (probably around 6 months). I heard isometric strengthening might help or some physiotherapy.

    I'd take Drew's advise. If you continue to ignore it you can end up with a complete avulsion of the tendon - not very nice!!

  5. #4
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    Haha, your knees are screwed up like mine!

    I saw an orthopedist a few times in school. They told me two things: In 7th grade, they told me to take lots of advil (which I did, but won't now), and in my sophomore year of college, they told me to stretch more. The stretching helps alot.
    I've found that it feels good to wrap my knees, but I don't want to get dependant on that. Since I do heavy squat days and light squat days, I may start wrapping on the heavy days only, even though I'm not moving that much weight. Make sure you go below parallel.
    They make a little band that goes around the bottom of your knee that's supposed to help, but I've never tried it. I probably should.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

  6. #5
    Banned Praetorian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2001
    Location
    7th level
    Posts
    5,014
    Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    They make a little band that goes around the bottom of your knee that's supposed to help, but I've never tried it. I probably should.
    There's a guy at my football team that has bad knees. He swears by that stuff.

  7. #6
    Fury Divine RickTheDestroyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    2,114
    Quote Originally Posted by Praetorian
    There's a guy at my football team that has bad knees. He swears by that stuff.
    Here's the thing- I can probably buy the damn things at walmart for $10. I've heard good things about them from a few people.
    My question is: why didn't the damn doctors tell me to get them?
    or maybe a better question: Why haven't I gone and purchased them myself, instead of being a dumbass?
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

  8. #7
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    39
    My pain has gone away a little bit now. I am taking glucosamine and using wrap when I do deads/squats. Is using wrap a good idea?

  9. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    167
    Quote Originally Posted by qside
    My pain has gone away a little bit now. I am taking glucosamine and using wrap when I do deads/squats. Is using wrap a good idea?
    I don't have my books handy to reference, but if I remember correctly, Osgood Schlatter's can lead to abnormal growth of the tibial tubercle (bone growth just below your knee cap) and can cause problems in the future. I think proper treatment consists of rest and if it is really serious, immobilization. This should be taken seriously and you should get it looked at, bc if you are still growing, you can cause yourself some major problems to come.

  10. #9
    Wannabebig Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    Edmonton, AB
    Posts
    74
    Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    Haha, your knees are screwed up like mine!

    I saw an orthopedist a few times in school. They told me two things: In 7th grade, they told me to take lots of advil (which I did, but won't now), and in my sophomore year of college, they told me to stretch more. The stretching helps alot.
    I've found that it feels good to wrap my knees, but I don't want to get dependant on that. Since I do heavy squat days and light squat days, I may start wrapping on the heavy days only, even though I'm not moving that much weight. Make sure you go below parallel.
    They make a little band that goes around the bottom of your knee that's supposed to help, but I've never tried it. I probably should.
    I think that band would help if you have jumpers knee, thats like tendonitis of the patellar tendon. But, I definetly don't think a knee wrap would help for your situation and it might actually pull the tendon even more and make it worse. The problem is the tendon attachment at the tubercle, go see an orthopedist and stay away from the heavy squats.

    You should also know that Osgood-Sclatter disease, larsan-Johannsson disease and jumpers knee are three knee conditions that are mistaken for each other and the treatment differs based on each condition.
    Last edited by Fitnessfreak; 09-06-2005 at 09:29 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •