The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Offered a 40k a year JOB!?!

I'm 20 years old and still going to school. Well I work at my gym and in one day I was given business cards from two different people. They both said that I should consider coming to work for them and to keep in touch. They told me that I had the kind of attitude that their company was looking for. One guy was the sales rep manager and the other woman was just a employee of a Marketing Group. The guy said that if I were to go in as a sales rep , my starting salary is around 40-50k a year. He said most of the guys make between 40-100k a year as sales rep. I think 40 thousand a year is pretty decent money for a 20 year old with no college degree. The woman said that I could bring in anywhere from 35-60k a year and even more if I expand finding more clients.
    Ok now my question is, would you guys look into this and think about making a move? or would you just stay in school and continue to put yourself in school loan debt?(being sarcastic). Obviously I feel like the right choice would be to stay in school, but I have been seriously thinking about making a call.
    Whats your guys honest opinion?

Thanx alot
    -Ryan

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

MulletII - AKA Ninja Boner Gyno Rhino's Avatar
    This could very easily be a scam.

Watch your back, jack.

You'll show up and they'll need a $300 payment for training materials....
    Founding Member and CEO of the FFFA

"All that matters is beauty on the inside! Outside beauty doesn't matter!"
    ~This is something ugly people say to feel better about themselves...

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"
    ~This is something wussy people say to feel better about themselves...

Pearls of Wisdom...

Resident Ninja Demon (with a pet Radioactive Sloth) and SchlonkeyMaster of WBB!

Rock is my 'Big Viking Brother', and not in a homo-esque way.

And no COLON jokes, bastards!

WBB Member
    Yea that sounds suspiciously like one of those pyramid schemes. It may be legit, but I would definitely investigate this company and visit them, ask a lot of questions, talk to current employees, etc.

Unless you want to go door to door 'making appointments' to sell windows, or want to get chased out of federal buildings after trying to sell childrens books, I suggest you not bother calling back.

Yes, both happened to me, because I was once a gullible student who needed money.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

HAHA. OK first of all, these are both legit companies, I can assure you. The guy is with Comcast/Spotlight media. These are no scammers, trust me. I'm no idiot and would'nt even consider if I did'nt think they were legit.

Edit: The woman is with Michels & Michels : Marketing Group LLC
    Last edited by FighterInSnatch; 09-01-2005 at 06:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Unless you want to go door to door 'making appointments' to sell windows, or want to get chased out of federal buildings after trying to sell childrens books, I suggest you not bother calling back.

Yes, both happened to me, because I was once a gullible student who needed money.
    Funny how you mention those two stories, yet neglect to discuss the whole "Fellate my Father" company scandal in which you played a key part.

"Strength and size don't matter! It's not fair to judge training knowledge based on strength and size!"

Pearls of Wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch
    HAHA. OK first of all, these are both legit companies, I can assure you. The guy is with Comcast/Spotlight media. These are no scammers, trust me. I'm no idiot and would'nt even consider if I did'nt think they were legit.
    Well, then go for it.

Don't say you weren't warned. You SURE he's with Comcast?

Pearls of Wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    Well, then go for it.

Don't say you weren't warned. You SURE he's with Comcast?
    Yes I'm absolutely positive. The guy was really nice and sincere and just told me to keep in touch with him, never once pressured me or anything.

I believe it went down like you say.
    It's just that most companies aren't gonna recruit like this. Most scammers do.

If a deal sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But man, maybe you are in the luck - I don't guess it can hurt you too much to investigate it. Just be aware that these cats might be playin' a jig on your thighbone, you know what I'm sayin'?

Pearls of Wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg

it could have been worse - you could have been chased out of dormitories for trying to pimp out some fake perfume.

or tempt people with fabulous knife sets into setting an appointment to see your equally fabulous vacuum cleaner.

and they lived in a trailer and you got bit by their fleas.....
    A little learning is a dangerous thing...

Live Dangerously! Learn a Little!

Dude, did Doogie Howser just steal my fucking car?

Lol, same thing happened to two friends of mine. They show how easy it is, and they act like the money is practically rolling in, they you send them the 100$ for training materials, and you never hear from them again......I warned them also but they both fell for it....

i'm not saying its a scam, but you should stay in school. get your degree, those jobs and many more will still be out there when you're done. 40k may seem like a lot of money to you right now, but its really not much. and ****, stay in college and have some fun while you have the chance.

At some point in your sales/marketing career, chances are you're going to wish you had a degree--not necessarily because you really learn anything in school but because it's a U.S. rite of passage. I can't imagine an up-and-coming employee being passed over for a promotion because he or she finished college.

--Steve

Well I think I'm mainly having trouble with it because I am going to school for business/marketing. I'm not really into what the lady had to offer with her marketing group, but I keep thinking about that comcast/spotlight media job. He was telling me how comcast is going to be the biggest in the US and how they are merging with all of the other companies.
    I mean don't get me wrong, I love the college life, drinking every weekend, meeting lots of new people, hangin out with the buds. I like to be labeled as a "poor college student". But then I turn around and see that I could get my own apartment, new car, and all the little toys a young guy would want.

Think about it this way. You have zero experience, you're 20 years old and you have no degree, why would they want to hire you for a 40k a year job when they coud hire someone with experience?
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Wannabebig Member
    If it is legit look and see if the company has tution reimbusment. They could pay for your schooling.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Real estate agents recruit like that...They drop cards on me all the damn time..and Never Buy anything. I HATE realtors.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Think about it this way. You have zero experience, you're 20 years old and you have no degree, why would they want to hire you for a 40k a year job when they coud hire someone with experience?
    not always I was offered a computer job at 19 paying 40k a year. I wasn't stupid i took it. They also payed for me to go to school.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    Your right, I have no experience and I absolutely see where your coming from. But do you think they hand out business cards to everyone? I told him I was in school too. I think he sees that I'm young and have potential for selling advertisement. I'm very good wtih talking to people, thats one of my strong points.

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch
    . But do you think they hand out business cards to everyone?
    Yes.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

This thread is cracking me up.

Pearls of Wisdom...

Quote Originally Posted by Gyno Rhino
    This thread is cracking me up.
    Dude, definitely. I didn't bother reading it when it was first posted, but I kept seeing Tryska, Gyno, Hahn, and Hatey, so once it touched 20 replies I read through it.

SOP.
    Last edited by MM; 09-01-2005 at 07:45 PM.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Ok enough is enough. I'm going to finish college with a degree and then see what the world has to offer.

Thanx -Ryan

what are you majoring in? you should check at least check out the job and see what it actually entails.

if you are interested in the Comcast position. Stay in school finish your degree, but ask the guy for an internship with a small stipend or even do it for free if you can. You can get class credits and then also find out if this is the company you want to work for and most likely if it is you can command an even hire salary from them coming out of college.
    Never shall innocent blood be shed, yet the blood of the wicked shall flow like a river. The Three shall spread their blackened wings and be the vengeful striking hammer of God.