The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Pimpology Professor

Pains on the side of my forearm when i do curls?

Its right at the bone on both sides of my forearm. If you were to follow the outer side of your pinky down the side, it would be like a foot down. It hurts realy bad after i do curls and I don't know why. I tryed fixing my form but nothing helps. Any ideas how to cure this?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Stop doing curls, especially with a barbell.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    Stop doing curls, especially with a barbell.

Try hammer curls. If that still bothers you try reverse curls. If that does to, take a break from curls for a while and let the injury get a chance to heal. It sounds like tendonitis...

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx

Try hammer curls. If that still bothers you try reverse curls. If that does to, take a break from curls for a while and let the injury get a chance to heal. It sounds like tendonitis...
    Bingo........it's happened to me before.

Take a break, or if you feel you have to lift them, go light for now.

Letting your arms heal would be wise.

Grasshoppa
    Don't have to...can easily perform compound lifts and drop the direct work.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park

Drop the weight, and work your way back up again...

If that doesnt help, then yes, ditch the barbell..

This has been done sooooo many times..

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Don't curl your wrist back at the end of your curl, keep them locked perfectly straight throughout the entire movement.

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Happened to me too. Take it easy on curls for the next couple of weeks, and make sure you don't bend your wrists when you curl. It is most likely a tendon.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

Pumping Iron @ Villy!
    Quote Originally Posted by bassman09
    Don't curl your wrist back at the end of your curl, keep them locked perfectly straight throughout the entire movement.
    Yes, dead on.
    "Geneing Leans Green"

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    A search on "Forearm splints, or Shin splints in forearms oughta shed some lighter fluid on the subject.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

If you still want to do BB curls- use the EZ curl bar.
    Or you could do a few more sets of chins instead...
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

uhh it definately helps not to bend ur wrists back, and also i could be wrong but it might help if u get ur forearms stronger too.

Banned
    If it's tendonitis there will be at least a little visible swelling. And a lot of pain. Tendonitis really sucks. I tend to get it in my achilles tendons if i do much running. So i just don't do any running anymore...

This happened to 2 of my friends after doin preacher curls for 2 semesters. Theirs was tendonitis, but it was only enflamed at that specific amount of wrist rotation. When they tried a regular 45lb straight barbell, they didn't feel nearly as much pain. When they tried hammer curls, no pain at all. Same with reverse curls. The muscles/tendons that you've enflamed are those that support and move the wrist. By changing the rotation(suppination/pronation) of your wrist you use completely different forearm muscles/tendons to stabilize the weight through the curl, taking the stress off the injured ones.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 09-02-2005 at 03:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony H
    If it's tendonitis there will be at least a little visible swelling. And a lot of pain. Tendonitis really sucks. I tend to get it in my achilles tendons if i do much running. So i just don't do any running anymore...
    Don't mean to hijack the thread but...

I used to have the exact same problem when I ran cross country. My doctor suggested some heel lifts or spacers and the problem vanished. Apparently my achilles tendons were too short and by shortening the distance they needed to travel the problem went away. I always had to have heel lifts in my running shoes but I got used to it, nothing major just a 1/4 of an inch if that.

It's years later now and I don't need the lifts at all anymore. I think that the fact that I kept running and stretching the tendon they eventually increased in length enough to stop bothering me.

Pimpology Professor
    Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    This happened to 2 of my friends after doin preacher curls for 2 semesters. Theirs was tendonitis, but it was only enflamed at that specific amount of wrist rotation. When they tried a regular 45lb straight barbell, they didn't feel nearly as much pain. When they tried hammer curls, no pain at all. Same with reverse curls. The muscles/tendons that you've enflamed are those that support and move the wrist. By changing the rotation(suppination/pronation) of your wrist you use completely different forearm muscles/tendons to stabilize the weight through the curl, taking the stress off the injured ones.

Thats usually what I use. 45lb straight bar with 80-100 lbs on it. Then I do hammers, Ez bar, and concentration. Hurts the worst with straight bar. I don't want to stop completely so I'll just drop my weight and try to cut my arms more i guess. I don't want to completely stop it though, I'll feel unfinished. Thanks.

I think you're curling too much. Are you doing 3 sets or more of each of those movements? Direct bicep work isn't even really necessary.

5/3/1 Journal

http://http://www.wannabebig.com/for...83#post1766083

Quote Originally Posted by J_weik
    Thats usually what I use. 45lb straight bar with 80-100 lbs on it. Then I do hammers, Ez bar, and concentration. Hurts the worst with straight bar. I don't want to stop completely so I'll just drop my weight and try to cut my arms more i guess. I don't want to completely stop it though, I'll feel unfinished. Thanks.
    You're doing too much bicep work. Pic 1 or 2 of those exercises and focus on those, but remember compound exercises are more important.

How many sets are you doing per each excersise you mentioned if its more then like 2 your overdoing it.

Pimpology Professor
    Ahh sorry. I only do 2 of each for a total of 8 sets, 6 heaving. The concentration curls i go some what lighter and realy flex my bi's at the end. I'm trying to get my bi's to be more well rounded.

Which compound exercises uses the bi's the most? Everything on me has changed dramatically except the bi's and chest. I know why my chest hasn't changed as much as the rest. I was using a smith machine to do my benching instead of total free weights. But I don't know about my bi's, i hit them as hard as I can without going crazy "imo 8 sets isnt crazy, 6 heavy" but they do not grow much. They have grown some.. But its been realy slow.
    Last edited by J_weik; 09-04-2005 at 12:26 PM.

Been there, had that. Been taking calcium pills everyday since and havent had a return pain yet. Sometimes its just that simple
    6' 2" 22years old
    05' 232lbs, 06' summer 200lbs, Currently 226lbs
    FB 345x1 Seated MP 225x5

Wannabebig Member
    I used to have the same problem with the straight bar, what helps is to grip the bar a lot tighter, and keeping your wrists straight, I was also told working out your forearms will help, I don't have the problem anymore, but it used to suck
    Height: 5'6"
    Weight: 165

I've been doing these recently for biceps:

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exerc...rbellcurls.htm

I find that my forearms hurt less with this movement.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1