The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Diet Crash

Diet Crash

Well, I think it finally happened. My whole diet is crashing around me. All summer I was doing really well. 1800-1900 cals with usual one 3000-3200 cheat day on the weekend. Plenty of protein, veggies, etc. Lost 20lbs and made great gains in alot of lifts.

I'm now two weeks into school, and feel like crap. Work was seated computer work all day, and now I must walk 3-4 miles around school in a normal day, and all the extra heat, activity must be putting a serious strain on me. By the end of the week I'm so depleted I can barely move. All my lifts feel like crap. I was having trouble walking up stairs let alone squatting or doing any sort of cardio.

So today I had a cheat day that trumped all other cheat days. I can't even remember all that I ate, but by noon I was easily pushing 5000+ calories. Hadn't had carbs all week. Stupid mistake looking back.

So I think I'll try to eat "normal" for atleast a week. Maybe 2600-2800 cals for a week or two to try to get a feel on whats going on with the new schedule. Down almost 90lbs in a year, so I've been on a nice year long cut.

Just had to get this out, because none of my friends are into any of this and just think I'm crazy doing diets and stuff. Ohh well.
    Nick V

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

you should take a 2-3 week break for every ~8 weeks of dieting, depending on how much fat you have. the fatter you are, the longer you can diet w/out crashing

I'm bringin sexy back lifter4life's Avatar
    how tall are you?

6'2"
    Nick V

You didn't eat carbs for a week?

Of course you're gonna feel like ****, you were depleted.

Eat at maintainence for a week or 2, then start dieting again.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Hey since your moveing around even more now maybe you can add little cals to help you out.

I'm debating just bulking for a few weeks since my lifts aren't where I want them. That or just slow the cut down. I'm definately bumping my cal intake up to atleast 2300-2400 a day, if not more. I did tweak my back deadlifting yesterday so that definately is going to make me eat normal for a week or two since you can't heal too well being calorie deprived.
    Nick V

well, between the stress of under-maintenance eating, low carbs, and startign school again, your cortisol levels are probably high. they'll ruin your mood and lifting gains.
    might just wanna take a couple days off, de-stress and let coritsol drop.

Pretty much what I did. Took Thursday through Monday off. Just ate whatever. The girl at Claim Jumper said she has never seen anyone eat the whole piece of cake by themselves. Well, that was easy, plus 1/2 of my friends desert, but my chicken/potatos/veggies/biscuit.

3-4 days of eating crap makes you feel good about getting back on. Saturday night I had nothing but a large cold stone icecream for dinner. Now it just sounds gross.
    Nick V

LOL.
    we said eat at maintenance, not your own bodyweight in food :P.

dont worry too much. it wont hurt you that much. it'll be worth it in the end.

I was considering going to a bulk to change pace, but looking in the mirror, I'm so damn close to where I want to be, why give up now. Its been a YEAR of hard dieting. Down well over 90lbs. Why give up now?
    Nick V

I crashed as well. A year? Hah. I made it 7 weeks.

Of course, I crash the other direction. Yesterday I had maybe 1000 calories in food. Maybe. I was really feeling sick, though... ever since I'd had a chicken nugget combo the day before at mcdonalds (and induldged in the office bought donut holes). I think I might have gotten food poisoning.

Today I don't feel like eating or doing anything. I gagged down a protein shake, forced a half-cup of cream cheese, and will listlessly eat a can of tuna in a few minutes. I'm taking the week off the gym as well because my cycle is totally messed up because Monday was a holiday, tuesday I was sick, wednesday still sick. I'm going to keep force feeding myself 1500+ cals until my appetite returns and chill and start again on Monday. Hopefully not from scratch.

Nice job on the year and 90 lbs! I've lost... 0... in a month of being at 1700. But I've gotten bigger so it's cool.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg