The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Newbie needs some serious help, please!

Alright, here's my story.

I started lifting weights almost exactly 1 year ago. I was 16, weighed 140, was pretty small, and couldn't lift crap. I had played around with lifting for a couple years before, but I never stuck to anything. I finally decied to start up a regular routine, and I have kep to it for a year so far.

I started lifting everyother day, and it worked for a little while. After some time I had reached a plateau, so I read up on the net, and knew I needed to lift less and rest more. So I cut it back to once every 3 or 4 days. That worked for a while, and then again I hit a plateau.

The last 2 months or so, I've tried lifting only once a week; every sunday. I get a good 50 minute or so workout, doing upper body only, and I feel sore for about 4 days after. I'm kind of obsessed with lifting weights, and my biggest fear is overtraining and losing muscle, so I wait a couple days after my muscles start feeling better.

I'm to the point now though, were I think I'm really only maintaining, and I'm not really making very big gains anymore. Should I try lifting every 5 days or so? I'm pretty sure I need to lift a little more often, but I'm just so afraid to overdo it.

My routine is bench, curls, forearm curls, and reverse forearm curls. It's not much, as I only lift in my basement, but I'm not worried about my lower body as I'm a sprinter and long jumper in track, and have an amazing vertical for my height (5' 9")

I have made huge gains since I first started. I started with benching about 3 sets, of only 100 lbs, and my max was probably like 120. I curled about 50 lbs. I'm to the point now where I can bench 155 for about 10 reps easy, and even after I do a hard bench workout of about 25 reps, I can still get 175 up. My max now is somewhere between 190 - 200, not sure though I haven't maxed out in a while. I now curl 3 sets with 90 lbs, and 2 with 95. Max while keeping good form is probably 105 or somewhere in there.

I'm naturally skinny, althought I do have some meat on my bones. I've notice huge gains in my arms since I started lifting, and at first had literally no pecs at all, while I now have great ripped pecs.

Like I said, I've made big gains, but I don't feel like I'm as far as I should be by now, and I need some serious help find tuning my routine, and figuring out how often I should lift.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Problems I see with your routine without knowing any of the key details.

You are not working your back at all. This is a problem.
    You are not working your legs or glutes at all. This is a problem. You brought up the fact that you're a sprinter and therefore aren't worried about your lower body. This doesn't really make sense to me.

You say you are obsessed with lifting - if this is the case you need to read and learn more. I'll give you a few links to follow at the end of this post so you can do that.

The last problem I see with your routine is that you did not list your diet at all. Your diet effects your lifting progress over the long term so directly that if your diet isn't in place, you won't ever make the gains you "think" you should.

Diet Links:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/archive.php?catid=2
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=65848

Training Links:
    http://www.wannabebig.com/category.php?cat=4
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=34313

Read. Learn. Repeat. And realize that when you think you know everything you need to know, you don't know enough.

Good luck.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

All you talk about is lifting, and if you are worried about progressing, then the big question is "how is your diet?"
    Are you eating enough? What are you eating and how often?

Once every Sunday isn't going to get you very far.
    And neglecting your legs is a bad idea. Weight training your legs is not going to hurt your vert or how fast you run. Might improve it tho.

I suggest splitting your routine up across 3-4 days a week and looking at the nutrition/diet forum and check out the posts regarding "what a bodybuilder eats".
    Try to determine what type of diet will work best for what you are trying to acopmplish. It may be gaining weight or loosing weight, and once you figure that out you will be a lot better off.

The majority of people on here will direct you to this routine wbb#1 routine

When I said I didn't work my legs, I didn't meen I don't do anything. I mainly do standing calf raises and lunges. I don't want to build up a lot of bulk in my legs, I'm just concerned about my vertical. I want my legs to be like lean spring boards, I don't care if my upper body is way bigger than my lower. I don't have a set diet, as in 6 meals a day or so many grams of protein, so many calories, blah blah blah. Its wayyyyy to hard to keep up with one, especially while going to school. I have a very fast matobilism, so I can eat pretty much whatever I want without worrying about my weight. I always eat a good breakfast, good lunch, and a very good dinner. That's about it really. Just the normal 3. I don't drink very much pop, and barely ever eat candy or very many sweets. I do snack quite a bit, but we don't really have any junkfood in our house, so it's usually good stuff, like fruit or something. I also drink lots of water, which from what I've read is the best thing for ya.

Your right, I don't work my back, and I don't really know what I'm doing when it comes to other stuff. I've never really had any help or training. I've just gone at it by myself, and tried to learn some from the internet, but I know I have a long ways to go. I only lift at home, like I said, so I don't have very much equipment. Just a bench and a barbell, and lotsa weights.

I figured once a week wasn't often enough. I'm just so worried about overtraining. I meen, when I started, I was puny as hang. I've made huge improvements, and I would die now if I started to lose all my gains back.

I appreciate all the help so far. If somebody could help me out with my diet a little more too, that would be great. I really don't want to start eating 5 or 6 smaller meals a day, but some general tips would help.

I have one more question as well, since I am only lifting my upper body so far, should I do it all the same day, or can I split those up as well? Could I do bench one day, and curls and forearm curls another, or should I do them all together?

Legs are very important to work. I wouldn't neglect them. And definitely don't neglect that back; if you do, it can lead to terrible posture problems from over developed pectoral muscles and underdeveloped back muscles. It is actually sort of ironic that you are neglecting the two LARGEST muscle groups in the human body. Get to it man, and good luck!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

I forgot to mention that I also do abs once every 5 days or so. Not sure it that matters, just thought I'd thorw it in.

If you don't want to eat 5-6 meals a day, then forget about making gains. End of story. If you do not have the time or dedication to put into your diet, then perhaps you need to not worry about weight lifting right now? There is no magical tip or food that will mke everything better other than, EAT EAT EAT. You are correct, it is very hard, but if you want it, you will do it. Also, use the search engine here for exercises and routines on back work or home-gym make-shifts, etc. You are lucky! You have found a VERY educational wealth of knowledge in this web site. Again, good luck!
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html

Here is another site listing and showing exercises by body part/muscle group. They show form and different examples of exercises you can do.

And seriously, you came here and asked for help but didn't really read any of the stuff we showed you. This forums is great for two reasons in my mind. 1- It is a huge source or information, both written and from the experiece of the people who post here. 2- Nobody here is going to sugarcoat answers for you.

You want to progress and get stronger and improve your athletic ability? You need to put in the effort to get those things. Diet, rest, exercise... all of it. Lifting weights is only one piece of the puzzle.
    Last edited by Wierz; 09-02-2005 at 10:56 AM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

squat it all!
    not sure if you mentioned it, but who do you train with? find someone as committed as you are, but with more experience if you can. as a high school freshman, i could barely bench the bar for reps. my buddy and the football coach both took me under their wings, and it made all the difference in the world.
    always hungry...

I don't really train with anybody. My dad spots me on the bench, that's about it.

I do want to work hard at it, and I'm not not reading what you guys have to say.

I know somebody is gonna want to slap me for this, but our school actually has one of the best and largest weight rooms in half of our state. Only problem is that if your not in gym class or don't play football, then it's hard to get into. I've talked about going with a couple buddies and doing certain things I can't do at home, but there's just not a very good time to do it. Our football team is contending for state's this year, and our school is big on lifting, so the weight room is always busy.

I'm definitely gonna read up on working my back and legs, and try to get into our schools weight room to work whatever I can't at home. If anybody could give me a couple good basic back and leg excercises I could do, that would be good. I could read about working my back for hours on the net, but I don't plan on doing 5 million different excercises. I'd like to keep it down to the best 2 or 3.

As for the diet, I can try to eat even healthier, and I know 5 - 6 meals would be the best, but I just wouldn't be able to do it. I live in a very family orientated christian family, so eating dinner together as a family is very important. My parents wouldn't put up with me not eating dinner with them and just doing what ever I wanted. I'd also like to know how I could even try to eat 4 or 5 meals a day when I'm in highscool? How could I possibly eat breakfast, (1 meal) then only eat 1 more meal, at lunch time at school during a 7 hour period, then come home and eat 2 or 3 more meals within the next 7 or 8 hours before I go to bed?

I'm sorry if it looks like I'm trying to reject what you guys are telling me, but I've never had any guidance, and I'm kinda going at this blindly. It lookes like it's a good thing I found this forum when I did...

squat it all!
    back and leg routine? deadlift and squat. nuff said!
    always hungry...

You absolutely do not have to skip dinner or other meals with your family to eat properly. This could be a basic outline for a meal plan with time ranges to accomodate unexpected things (school, work, crazy siblings, etc)

Meal 1: 6:30-8:00
    Meal 2: 10:00-11:00
    Meal 3: 12:30-1:30
    Meal 4: 3:00-4:00
    Meal 5: 6:00-7:00
    (Optional Meal 6: 9:00-10:00)

And when I say meal, I don't mean a 1200 calorie platefull. There is enough time in the day to do these things if you prepare for them.

One of the links I gave you lists 3 routines, starting with an intermediate program called "Wannabebig 1". All you have to do is copy this and do the routine, all questions answered.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

Don't be intimidated by the endless new information that is being thrown at you when you come looking for advice on this forum.
    Pick a couple of key topics that have been brought up in the above posts and try to work on those.
    I would suggest Diet as one of the most important things to look at first.

Wierz was nice enough to post some great information about diet for you.

Look into the types of foods that you should be eating, and try to develop some kind of eating routine that works with your schedule.

I know since you're in highschool you might think you don't have time to eat at around 10am or 2pm, but if you get ANY time inbetween classes, then I would use it to eat something. It doesn't have to be a full out meal like you probably eat for lunch or dinner, but I'm sure you can find foods you can bring in a cooler and store in your locker to eat b/t classes.

After you have gotten the hang of juggling your deit, then you can devote more attention to your lifting routine. Various routines have already been brought up in this thread that you should really read.

Banned
    If you have at least a flat bench, barbell or curl bar and free weight dumbells then you can and should work your whole body. Here's an example of a routine with just that equipment.

-For a sprinter legs are most important, so we'll start there. Working legs will increase your acceleration for sprinting. That's why olympic sprinters are ALWAYS pretty ripped.

Monday - Legs/Abs:

Single Leg Split Squats - Quads (Plus practically everything else)
    Good Mornings - Hamstrings
    Calf Raises
    Weighted Crunches - Abs
    Knee Raises on bench or your preference here - Abs

Wednesday - Shoulders/Bis/Tris

Seated Shoulder Press
    Upright Rows - shoulders
    DB Sup. Curls - bis
    Skull Crushers - tris
    Hammer Curls - bis
    DB French Press - tris
    Reverse Wrist Curls - wrist extensors

Friday - Chest/Back

DB or BB Bench Press - Chest
    DB Flys - Chest
    Seated Good Mornings - lower back (skip if hamstrings are sore, they get hit too.)
    Barbell Rows - Back
    Reverse Curls - forearms
    Wrist Curls - wrist flexors

-You can look up all these exercises on www.exrx.net

-If you haven't done most of this stuff, i'd start with just one set and then work your way up to 2 or 3 sets as you get used to it. 1 set of each is probably a 30 minute workout, with 2 minute or so rest in between sets.

-I wouldn't hit the legs twice in one week while you're doing lot of running as well if i were you. That'll be overworking them.

-seems like i'm forgetting something, but it's much better than being a curl jockey.
    Last edited by Tony H; 09-02-2005 at 12:20 PM.

Thanks for all the help so far guys. I really can't belive how much info I've recieved so far, from only posting a couple hours ago. I don't have a ton of time to read up on all the links right now, as I'm leaving for labor day weekend in an hour or so, but when I get back on Sunday I'm definitely gonna come back here and read up on everything. I'm definitely gonna work on my diet first. I only have about 3 minutes between classes, and I have a pretty hectic schedule, so I'm thiking about adding a small meal right after school, on my way home, and then eating another small meal a couple hours after dinner, around 9 or 10. That would give me at least 5 meals a day, and would break up the long periods of time I go between eating. Like I said, I have a very fast metabolism, and even after something like a Thanksgiving day dinner, I am starting to get hungry again after an hour or two, so I'm sure more meals a day will definitely help me.

Tony H, thank you for the sample routine. I'm definitely gonna look into excercises I can do to work my back and legs that I can perform with only a bench, barbell, and dumbbells.

This may sound repetitive, but nobody really answered me. I've read before that doing curls right after benching can be good, because you are still using a few of the same muscles. Doing curls, and other stuff for my bi's one day, and benching a few days later wouldn't effect anything, would it? As in, would I not be able to bench as much if my biceps are still sore from their workout?

Also Tony, you put the Chest and back together in one group, and the Bi's, Tri's, and Shoulder's together in another. I've always thought that the Chest and Tri's went together? I could be totally wrong, but I know I've seen large gains in my triceps from sinple flat benching.

squat it all!
    one last thing before you go.... don't you dare give up!

good luck and God bless.
    always hungry...

Banned
    "As in, would I not be able to bench as much if my biceps are still sore from their workout? "

Biceps being sore shouldn't affect bench much, but if your tris are sore it probably will.

I do bis and Tris together one day and bench/back together another mainly because of personal preference. I can't do as much weight on triceps exercises after benching and i really prefer to go as heavy as i can on them.

Biceps exercises don't seem to detract at all from my triceps stuff.

That's probably the best advice yet. I know there's been a lot of times when I just wasn't gaining much that I wanted to quit. I knew though, that if I ever wanted to get bigger and stronger, I could never stop.

Thanks a ton squat it all!

Two more questions before I go guys.

One, if I do break things up an do certain muscle groups certain days of the week, I'm still only doing each muscle group once a week. Will this matter, or doesn't it since now I'm working my whole body, so something is always recovering.

Secondly, when I do start lifting 3 days a week, what happends if I go on vacation for a week? A week off shouldn't hamper things too much, would it?

Banned
    Taking a week off every so often is a good thing. Often, you'll find that your body needed some extra recovery time even though you weren't sore. Then you'll come back stronger than you expected.

The split allows you to work each body part as hard as you can. If I do a full body workout, then whatever stuff i do towards the end isn't going to get worked very well because i'll be tired and because the secondary muscles involved are already spent.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    You're a sprinter and long jump competitor and you don't want to work legs?

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.

Ha.

Go look at the physiques on sprinters and long jump competitors. Point made.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

alot of people afraid that when they gain mass on their legs, they would be bulky and slow.

Yeah it's more of the long distance dudes that don't have much of a need for heavy lifting. It is actually key for sprinters... high lean body mass percentage + low bodyfat = you are faster
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

A lot of us try hard to get big massive legs. It doesn't happen on accident.

Banned
    Really? I thought lifting weights was like playing the lottery. If you do biceps curls, then you have a 1 in x chance of waking up with 22" pythons the next morning.

That would have explained why my rosy palm peter twists don't seem to be adding any size yet...