Thread: How does the number of reps you do effect your muscle size.

Banned

How does the number of reps you do effect your muscle size.

Can u tell me how it goes...is it more reps you do with oderate weights you get more ripped,,,but with huge weights and little reps you get bulk muscles..
    Thank you

That's what I've always heard - lightweight, high reps = pretty but weaker muscles & heavyweight, low reps = mass, size, & strength. BUT I am NO expert!

I've been training for a fairly good little while & In my own personal experience - lifting heavy weight in low reps helps me get stronger faster than light weights high reps. But it also seems that I feel more of a "burn" doing 20+ reps, so I dunno.

Maybe some of the other, more experienced guys can help ya out.
    Southern Pride !

Wannabebig Member
    You can't build a ripped muscle or a bulk muscle. Muscles get bigger when worked, period. Definition comes from lowering your bodyfat levels thru diet and cardio.
    That being said, lower reps(1-6) with big weights help build more strength than size and higher reps (6-15) tend to build more size than strength.

Originally posted by Big J

But it also seems that I feel more of a "burn" doing 20+ reps, so I dunno.
    what exercises do you do for 20+ reps?
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

3:16
    That's what I've always heard - lightweight, high reps = pretty but weaker muscles & heavyweight, low reps = mass, size, & strength. BUT I am NO expert!

. But it also seems that I feel more of a "burn" doing 20+ reps, so I dunno.

Maybe some of the other, more experienced guys can help ya out.
    when has a burn been correlated with cutting?

diet is what makes you defined.

when cutting reduce volume(less ability to recover) but still trian in a fashion to maximise muscle size and choose a good diet.
    If you start doing high volume than your body will go into a highly catabolic state and you will not provide it with the macronutritents to get it out of there.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Look, it basically boils down to "heavy (1-5 reps) = strength" "moderate (6-10 reps) = size" and "light (12-20 reps) = anaerobic endurance."

Those guidelines aren't strict, but a basis to start things.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    Look, it basically boils down to "heavy (1-5 reps) = strength" "moderate (6-10 reps) = size"
    Yeah, but you can still only do low reps [1-5] and still get big right?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

Originally posted by The_Chicken_Daddy

Yeah, but you can still only do low reps [1-5] and still get big right?
    Your strength gains will far outpace your size gains. Gotta be careful that you don't burn out your nervous system the longer you do lower reps. For example doing only 1 rep max poundages will result in a plateau within a few weeks.

Here's one for the peanut gallery- what if you do a 3 rep max for your first set and then lower the weight for the second set so you can do 10-12 reps? Benefits of high and low reps at the same time?

Originally posted by DelphiDoc

Here's one for the peanut gallery- what if you do a 3 rep max for your first set and then lower the weight for the second set so you can do 10-12 reps? Benefits of high and low reps at the same time?

I already do
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

As do I.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by Orange357

what exercises do you do for 20+ reps?

Just Curls. Sometimes I'll do "21s" or just 20-25 reps w/ light weight to warm down after i hit my heavy weight.

It prolly aint neccessary, lol, i dunno geuss its just a habit.
    Southern Pride !

Originally posted by body

when has a burn been correlated with cutting?

diet is what makes you defined.

when cutting reduce volume(less ability to recover) but still trian in a fashion to maximise muscle size and choose a good diet.
    If you start doing high volume than your body will go into a highly catabolic state and you will not provide it with the macronutritents to get it out of there.

Well Damn, I said I wasnt no expert! I just figured I'd state my opinion. I've just always been told that heavyweight/lowreps add strength & size where as lightweight/highreps add toned muscles w/ endurance.

LOL, I'm always lookin to learn more bout lifting
    Last edited by Big J; 12-22-2001 at 11:33 PM.
    Southern Pride !

Well Damn, I said I wasnt no expert! I just figured I'd state my opinion. I've just always been told that heavyweight/lowreps add strength & size where as lightweight/highreps add toned muscles w/ endurance.

LOL, I'm always lookin to learn more bout lifting
    if i question what you write, then it makes you think! and hopefully send you in the right direction. As you have responded like this, it means your listerning.

the reason why high reps are not better for cutting is
    a) if same volume - doing 3 set of six reps agianst 3 set of 20 reps. there will not be a significant difference in kcals burned between the two groups. B) the set of 6 reps is generally considerd a better rep range to trian in, for growth than 20 reps. You want to keep the muscles, still trying to get bigger (even though they will not due to kcal deficit).

heavy wieghts as you point out will help with size and strength. lightweight high reps will help with endurance.

Though ideally use a range of rep ranges and not just single rep range for growth.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

If you do 10reps with 400lbs your muscles will be bigger than if you did 10reps with 150lbs, so its mostly the weight that decideds your muscle size. getting the muscles more toned, that would be in most cases smaller but better looking, you would use high reps.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

Rock?

failing after more reps will aid the endurance of the muscle and not very much its size, and theres no such thing as tone. only the size of the muscle and its shape(genetic) and the amount of fat over it.

how is a muscle smaller but better looking?
    what makes a muscle better looking without altering its size?

bodyfat, which is all about diet, not reps.

Just pick up the freakin' weights

LOL, I geuss this is a highly debatable topic. I learn sometin new everyday. But i did a little research & it is all bout the diet.

What I have found is that the people that want to gain a lot of size & mass eat A LOT; therefore, they get bigger - period. Sometimes adding both Body Fat & Muscle. They dont really care bout endurance - their goal is maximum strength.

On the other hand - the smaller guys want to just look good & have a lot of endurance so they eat less & train with high reps/light weight (for endurance). Their body fat is low; therefore, making their muscles look cut.

So everyone just looks at the "big massive" guys & see their training routine & then look at the "smaller defined" & see their routine & make educated geusses.

It really makes more sense to me now. Hopefully it might help some of y'all, too
    Southern Pride !

the number of reps you do is i no way related to bodyfat except maybe that doing a light weight for 20 reps will still burn more calories than a heavy for 6-8.

Fat, proteins and Carbohydrates = Energi.

lots of reps, lots of energi, loss of fat.

Fat equals the highest energi producent in endurance, higher the endurance, the less fat.
    A big thanks to all my friends in the USA, I am deeply grateful for your hospitality and kindness.

PR blaster!
    Originally posted by Rock
    Fat, proteins and Carbohydrates = Energi.

lots of reps, lots of energi, loss of fat.

Fat equals the highest energi producent in endurance, higher the endurance, the less fat.
    huh??

Originally posted by body

the reason why high reps are not better for cutting is
    a) if same volume - doing 3 set of six reps agianst 3 set of 20 reps. there will not be a significant difference in kcals burned between the two groups. B)

Did we not see this???? Reiner+rock..
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

white trash goes north WilliamX's Avatar
    How many reps should I do to build muscle size on deadlifts and squats?

do a rep range.
    for squats anywhere between 5-20 reps
    so eg one set of 5-7 reps, one set of 10-12 reps, then one set of 15-18 reps of breathing squats all to faluire.
    for dead most poeple do a rep range between 3-12 reps.
    As with all exercise a rep range is better than keeping to a single rep amount.

My first reaction to this was 'don't worry about it'.

Then I read thru the responses. My second reaction is 'Listen to Powerman.'

Now, depending on your particular genetic makup, you may find your muscles grow more in particular rep ranges. (Somewhere out there, there is an article on this about how to test your abilities.. a way to compare your 1RM to the number of reps you can do with a set %age of that max to determine the best rep range, and determine your ability to gain. I'll look around to see if I can find it)

The key is to focus on basic premises... for example, your diet will have more to do with getting bigger than your rep ranges.

Also, getting stronger (1-5 reps) will allow you to use more weight when you change to 8-12 reps, getting you even bigger, right?

Ther's been some talk of using each rep range in one workout, like PM and CD mention, doing a heavy triple, followed by a higher rep set. Not a thing wrong with that, as long as you continue to make sure your ultimate goal is progression.

Personally, I prefer to have one training goal for a particular lift, and that may not conincide with a cycle on another lift. For example, I could be doing squats in a 8-12 range, and benching using tiples during the same cycle.

However, my absolute preference is to be pretty consistant, since, again, diet plays such a big role... if I'm trying to gain muscular size (primarily) then I'll train 6-8 reps for everything (what seems to work for me), and at the same time alter my diet to make sure I'm getting enogh of the right foods to grow.

If I'm focused only on strength, and trying NOT to grow (what I'm doing now), I train using another method, and alter my diet to eat at maintenance cals or thereabouts.

Doesn't mean another method won't work well for you, though, as long as you follow the basics.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.