Thread: Is there a difference between a Clean and Press - and a Clean and Jerk?

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar

Is there a difference between a Clean and Press - and a Clean and Jerk?

They look similar, except that with the Clean and Jerk, your legs spread apart (one to the front and one to the back). Which one is better to do?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

You should NOT be doing a clean and jerk if you don't know the difference between a jerk and a press.

Just do press the weight overhead.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I'm with mix on this one....get some books and read....

Can you tell me the difference?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

A press is just a press. You use the upper body muscles to push the weight overhead.

A jerk is where you use mostly leg drive to push the bar up, then pull yourself under it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

So, would a push press be sort of a combination of the two? Pressing overhead with leg drive?
    Lifting Journal

Yeah pretty much. You have the first dip to drive the bar up, but don't do the second dip to drop under the bar and catch it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

K thanks. I guess I'll just do a Power Clean + Military Press for now.
    Lifting Journal

id do clean and push press.

the difference between a push press and a push jerk is the same as the difference between a power clean and a clean.

?
    Lifting Journal

both involve leg drive to start the weight up, but in a push jerk you employ a drop under (like in the full clean) so you hardly have to move the weight, you just fall under it and it becomes more like an overhead squat. in a split jerk (the one from the olympic clean and jerk) you fall into the stance for a split squat(lunge) rather than a regular one. messing around with the jerks seems like a bad idea for people who arent expierienced (i know i wouldnt do it) and push press is great for explosiveness.

Yeah, I wasn't planning on doing the jerks for now. But the reason I want to do a Clean and some type of press is for a full-body lift, but I want to mainly employ my pressing shoulders.

Should I just do a normal overhead press after the clean? Or should I do the push press, adding in some explosive leg drive? Will that work the shoulders just as much as normal overhead pressing will?
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-05-2005 at 05:16 PM.
    Lifting Journal

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Should I just do a normal overhead press after the clean?
    I think this of most value to the bodybuilder.

The thing with all these Olympic style lifts is where you work it into your split.

Practice olympic lifts with a broomstick or just the bar before you add weight. Get technique down first.

Learn to push press and overhead lunge and overhead squat before you start to jerk. Learn to front squat before you do full cleans. Learn to overhead squat before you snatch.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Alright thanks. I'll practice.
    Lifting Journal