The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I wannabebig!
    while in Iraq I didnt look at filling 10,000 sandbags and walking back and forth/throwing them much fun as far as gpp was concerned I will say though it is a killer workout if you wanna try, I managed to shrink from 200 to 150 lbs while eating everything in sight.

Welcome To Jamrock!!!! bIgHwN86's Avatar
    Upper Body GPP exercises that i know of are medicine ball passes/throws either for distance or time....sledghammer swings (get a tire and a sledgehammer and try to annihilate the hell out of that tire)...push ups...One arm presses...discus throws...shot put..sandbag presses/throws/tosses...boxing (punching bag)...and tons more, elitefts should have some more ideas too

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I'd say sandbags are a gimmick, but for the fact that it's the cheapest weight you can get besides some rocks.
    I hope you're kidding! They're a tried and tested method of gaining functional strength and likely alot of size with it. The fact that they're very dependent of grip and leverage alone makes them more useful for say a wrestler or football player. Try a 150lb sandbag clean and press someday... WAY different than a barbell.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    General Physical Preparedness. It's just a fancy way to describe what we did as kids ... run around playing cops and robbers, bike for hours, play baseball, frisbee, go swimming .... all before lunch.
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

That's about it. Basically ANYTHING physical can be used as GPP when tweaked a certain way.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

what do you use for a sandbag?

squat it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    a sandbag
    always hungry...

Get some burlap bags from a feed store, dump sand into a plastic bag (double/triple wrap), wrap this in the burlap, duct tape the **** out of it, and voila ... perfect sandbag.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Also try buying a duffel bag from an army surplus store and filling it with sand.

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    I hope you're kidding! They're a tried and tested method of gaining functional strength and likely alot of size with it. The fact that they're very dependent of grip and leverage alone makes them more useful for say a wrestler or football player. Try a 150lb sandbag clean and press someday... WAY different than a barbell.
    I mean a gimmick in the sense that they're becoming fashionable and popular.

If you were familiar with past sandbag discussions here, you'd know that I am the happy user of a number of heavy sandbags.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

The best GPP I ever did was working on a railroad one summer, laying track manually. Carrying 200+ lb ties, digging rocks out from under rails, lifting the rails, inserting the ties, driving in the spikes with a BIG sledgehammer, then tamping down the ties and shoveling more rocks in between. You'll be dripping in sweat and in pain for days after just 30 minutes of doing that! Somehow I lived through doing it for 8-10 hours a day.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Also try buying a duffel bag from an army surplus store and filling it with sand.
    KILLER IDEA

i went down there, and they had duffel bags and had bags meant for sand. they had this strong / ultra wide duct tape too, and free sand for me in the back!

anyways i made a ~40lbs bag with a big tail for gripping. worked real well, glad i asked for more ideas.

so now i've spent ~ 12$, and have two cool new exercises...

KILLER IDEA

i went down there, and they had duffel bags and had bags meant for sand. they had this strong / ultra wide duct tape too, and free sand for me in the back!

anyways i made a ~40lbs bag with a big tail for gripping. worked real well, glad i asked for more ideas.

so now i've spent ~ 12$, and have two cool new exercises...
    There's a wealth of sandbag exercises you can do. If you know them, clean and press & snatches. Deadlifts are great for grip strength, or light weight high rep deadlifts for GPP. Walk around with a sandbag on your shoulder or pressed overhead. Bearhug the sandbag, lift it off the ground, walk with it. Throw the sandbag for distance or height(don't break it though). Get 2 sandbags, grip the sides and do farmer's walks or hold them under your arms, walk with them. Bent over rows and upright rows are good. Grip the sides of the sandbag and do hammer curls - its awesome for forearm strength and size. Those are the best sandbag exercises I've tried.
    Last edited by Meat_Head; 09-07-2005 at 07:00 PM.

Get a construction job and hump shingles and plywood.
    Last edited by Behemoth; 09-07-2005 at 08:00 PM.
    accuflex - LOLZZZZ!!!11one1!! SOEM PPL WORK THRE ARMZ!!!!11!! LETS KILL THEM111

"You can fake effort with grunts and clanging weights but quiet, consistent hard work coupled with gradual strength increases earns universal respect in gyms" - Steve Colescott

I'd rather Situation be a member of this board. -Joey54

There's a wealth of sandbag exercises you can do. If you know them, clean and press & snatches. Deadlifts are great for grip strength, or light weight high rep deadlifts for GPP. Walk around with a sandbag on your shoulder or pressed overhead. Bearhug the sandbag, lift it off the ground, walk with it. Throw the sandbag for distance or height(don't break it though). Get 2 sandbags, grip the sides and do farmer's walks or hold them under your arms, walk with them. Bent over rows and upright rows are good. Grip the sides of the sandbag and do hammer curls - its awesome for forearm strength and size. Those are the best sandbag exercises I've tried.
    ya that's basically what i've been doing. the way i made mine makes it look like a bomb kind of, like a big round part with the sand, and a giant tail coming from it, which is like a foot long and thicker than an olympic bar, so i can grab it by that, which makes it like a handle for rows/hammer curls/etc. The thing is so much fun, i just went into a parking lot and cranked up the stereo and played with it for a while. great workout