Thread: How to get back into lifting quickest

How to get back into lifting quickest

alright i've started a new routine after not lifting for a little bit, and can't remember which way will get me back to my old volume quicker:

1) slowly add volume on a weekly basis, and get there in like a month - month and a half, or

2) just go to the gym and begin doing my routine wiht my old volume, and be incapacitated for days after my first workouts.

i'm not very concerned about being sore, i just want to get back to my old volume as quickly as possible; anyone have an opinion on this?

If it was me, I'd just do the same workout, but a LOT lighter. Try to increment each workout until you're back up to speed.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Yeah, and plan out a good diet too.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    lol. Well diet is only mentioned in about every other post, so it's sort of become a part of me now.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    1) slowly add volume on a weekly basis, and get there in like a month - month and a half, or

2) just go to the gym and begin doing my routine wiht my old volume, and be incapacitated for days after my first workouts.

i'm not very concerned about being sore, i just want to get back to my old volume as quickly as possible; anyone have an opinion on this?
    I think that you might do better to increase volume by increasing training frequency rather than increasing the volume of each individual session.

I would definately choose option #1 if it were me... Option #2 would just make my training poundages drop in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Yeah, and plan out a good diet too.
    god, doesn't that go without saying by now? haha jk. it's so funny how people neglect nutrition. I'm a health nut, almost everythign i eat is very good, even though it's mostly for general nutrition / strength, since i cannot put on bf.

well, i'll try that approach (upping volume through increased frequency of workouts, not increasing volume through just going into a the gym and doing what i want in one sitting). thanks for the input, i just hate this 'entry' period going from nothing to fullspeed

I would go with option one so that the body gets used to the workload again. You will be surprised at how quick your strength levels come back!