The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

How to get back into lifting quickest

alright i've started a new routine after not lifting for a little bit, and can't remember which way will get me back to my old volume quicker:

1) slowly add volume on a weekly basis, and get there in like a month - month and a half, or

2) just go to the gym and begin doing my routine wiht my old volume, and be incapacitated for days after my first workouts.

i'm not very concerned about being sore, i just want to get back to my old volume as quickly as possible; anyone have an opinion on this?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

If it was me, I'd just do the same workout, but a LOT lighter. Try to increment each workout until you're back up to speed.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Yeah, and plan out a good diet too.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    lol. Well diet is only mentioned in about every other post, so it's sort of become a part of me now.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    1) slowly add volume on a weekly basis, and get there in like a month - month and a half, or

2) just go to the gym and begin doing my routine wiht my old volume, and be incapacitated for days after my first workouts.

i'm not very concerned about being sore, i just want to get back to my old volume as quickly as possible; anyone have an opinion on this?
    I think that you might do better to increase volume by increasing training frequency rather than increasing the volume of each individual session.

I would definately choose option #1 if it were me... Option #2 would just make my training poundages drop in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Yeah, and plan out a good diet too.
    god, doesn't that go without saying by now? haha jk. it's so funny how people neglect nutrition. I'm a health nut, almost everythign i eat is very good, even though it's mostly for general nutrition / strength, since i cannot put on bf.

well, i'll try that approach (upping volume through increased frequency of workouts, not increasing volume through just going into a the gym and doing what i want in one sitting). thanks for the input, i just hate this 'entry' period going from nothing to fullspeed

I would go with option one so that the body gets used to the workload again. You will be surprised at how quick your strength levels come back!