The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

can my deadlift and squat eventually help my bench?

since i havent been squattin/deadlifting for that long a time, i was thinkin that since theyre both goin up really fast, r they gonna help my bench press go up in any way? My bench doesnt make sense and im thinking it is because i never deadlifted or squated, so now that my deadlift has been goin up will my bench increase faster?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i dont see how it could, but if your wanting to up the bench, you'd have to concentrate on that more than the deads/squats.

eat eat eat!

A man that can only pick squats to do for 5 years will have bigger and stronger biceps then the man that can only pick barbell curls for 5 years

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    I believe there to be truth to this now.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Born -> Ireland, college @ Upenn, Philadelphia. Back in Dublin
    The stronger back from deads and bent rows will help your bench. Bent rows - bigger lats help stabilize your bench on the downward part.
    Start 7` @ 244lbs. (1/Sept/04) --> Bulked 7` @ 277lbs. (05/01/05)
    Most recent Jan 4th 2007 @ 122kilo(268lbs)
    Bf 14.3% as of 28th Oct 06.

Current/
    Bench 300/
    Dead 455/
    Squat 345/

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle
    A man that can only pick squats to do for 5 years will have bigger and stronger biceps then the man that can only pick barbell curls for 5 years
    Huh?...

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Huh?...
    he's gone don't worry about it!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I believe it. Ever since my deadlift has been flying up, my bench has been increasing more easily. I don't quite know how it works, but it does.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

260(-62) from 193 from 275
    There are two components to strength gain.

1) Bigger Muscles
    2) More efficient nervous system

Squatting and Deading heavy make your bodies nervous sytem more capable in terms of total output.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    I never seem to gain on all of the Big 3 at once. It's usually just one at a time, sometimes 2. Cycles between then.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    lol I never seem to increase on much of anything but my bench not sure if this is a good thing...

Quote Originally Posted by Doogle
    This isn't true at all. Yea if you did squats for 5 years your body would get bigger and stronger all over, but if you did barbell curls for 5 years you're gonna be damn good at doing curls. That's ALOT of direct stress on your biceps, and they will grow alot from it. Squats for five years might increase your curl strength by 15-30lbs, but that doesn't compare with the 30-60lb gain you'd likely get from curling for 5 years...

Why not do both? Your whole body would get bigger and stronger, and your biceps would be bigger and stronger than they would be if you did just squats or just curls....

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Why not do both?
    Because he started his statement by saying "A man that can only pick one..."

Quote Originally Posted by defcon
    Because he started his statement by saying "A man that can only pick one..."
    "A man not interested in getting the most out of his time and training who only picks one..." :evillaugh