The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig New Member

Help a lanky git bulk up

Hi all, found this forum in google so thought I'd register.

Anyway I'll get straight to the point. I've just turned 18, am 6'5 and weigh 165 pounds which I think means I'm underweight. I'm pretty skinny, not majorly, but I have quite a small chest (37 inches) and abit of a pop belly (32 inch waist), quite thin legs etc...

I think this is due to me being lazy and having a poor diet all my life, eating at different times (if at all).

Anyway for the past few days I've been doing quite a lot of research and have decided to try and bulk up. At the moment I'm eating as much as I possibly can. For example toady:

Big bowl of porridge, 3 boiled eggs and loadsa toast
    apple, banana, grapes
    3 Chicken sandwiches with tomatoes, lettuce, cucumber
    loadsa fruit
    2 Jacket potatoes w/ cheese and beans and salad
    Roast chicken with boiled potatoes, broccoli, carrots

Would usually, not even have eaten a quarter of that before I started to try and bulk up. Very rarely had any breakfast aswell!

I'm basically eating as much as I can before feeling sick, eating lots of fruit between bigger meals. I've been doing this for the past 3 days and seem to have put on a pound. I've also got a set of free weights but havenít tried anything as of yet.

Just wondered what you would advise for me to do, to bulk up quickly? What other foods should I be eating, are any supplements advisable?

As you can see I'm abit of a noob at this, but decided my unhealthy lifestyle is stupid and I'm prepared to work hard to try and sort myself out.

Thanks for any help.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    "I've also got a set of free weights but havenít tried anything as of yet."

Wait a minute...

You are currently eating to bulk up, but not working out? Are you trying to bulk up your pot belly? Maybe add a third chin...

welcome to the forums!

what you should be eating
    your first weight lifting routine

make sure you're getting at least 0.5g/lb of your bodyweight in fat, and 1.5g/lb of your bodyweight in protein per day.

for supplements, start out with a multivitamin, whey protein, creatine, and fish oil capsules.

i dont know what to put
    Just so you know it makes it a lot easier when you have a journal of some sort. Tally down everything you eat. Never take in more than 45g of protein at a time, cause your body doesn't know what to do with the extra. Diet is arguably the most important factor when it comes to bulking up, but if your not working out you won't get much out eating except a stomach. Your routines are up to you, but make sure you eat up to 7 meals a day, to adequately give your body everything it needs to grow. Try having some meal replacements to start off then as you get more familiar with your program and the habits of eating properly you can make adjusments then. I am not spewing random stuff out here either I have learned through trial and tribulation, through my 4 years of working out I have gained over 50 lbs of muscle and learned quite a lot.

Banned
    I agree - you are underweight.

Drink milk in addition to the other advise you've received and will get. You should be able to add at least 50lbs to that frame in a year and a half, easily.

If you're not gaining weight, you're not eating enough. Simple as that.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at those links.

Tony H, I do plan to use them once I've read and found out how to use them properly.

Bulk slowly and lift heavy after spending hours reading the threads here. Look at wbb1 for how/what to lift. Adding that amount of calories really quick will just put fat on you body which is what you don't want. Maybe try adding 200 calories a day to you current intake and see how that works for 2 weeks. After that, adjust accordingly in small increments.