The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: 5x5 Routine

Hybrid View

5x5 Routine

I was thinking of starting a 5x5 routine as outlined below.

Any thoughts?
    Monday:
    Olympic Squats: 5x5
    Benching: 5x5 (flat)
    JS Rows: 5x5
    Accessory (skullcrushers and abs)
    Wednesday:
    Olympic Squats: 5x5 (reduced 15-20% from Monday)
    Standing Military Press: 5x5
    Deadlifts: 5x5
    Pull ups: 5x5
    Accessory (incline curls and abs)
    Friday:
    Olympic Squats: 5x5 (1x5 pyramid)
    Benching: 5x5 (incline)
    JS Rows: 5x5
    Accessory (weighted dips and abs)
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

That's pretty much exactly what I'm doing now, and it's a great routine. There's nothing better than squatting ass to grass 3 times a week.

Good lookin routine, I'd be interested in seeing the results. Are you going to be gaining, losing, or maintaining weight?

Quote Originally Posted by xMeat_Headx
    Good lookin routine, I'd be interested in seeing the results. Are you going to be gaining, losing, or maintaining weight?
    With my diet, who knows? Hopefully, if I can get my ass in gear, I'll be able to stabilize my food intake and lower the beer intake (lol) and maybe lose some fat and put on some muscle.

I've seen on a couple of other boards there's a bunch of people who really like this routine.

I think for the first week, I'm gonna do 5x3's, or, maybe 3x5's, just to get used to the volume and to help set the intesity. As it is right now, I'm doing pretty much a Max-OT program and that's only 1 bodypart a day.

I'm looking forward to this...even got a spreadsheet!
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Mint
    I like that routine allot.
    "To make a big training like Dimas, you can not be a pussy." - Christos Iakovou

prepare yourself, because it's a big training

Turnin nothin into somethin, is God work
    And you get nothin without struggle and hard work

Think like a man of action, act like a man of thought. - Henri Bergson.

Wannabebig New Member
    What are JS Rows?

Also, I can't remember the website that shows how to perform different exercises. Tried a search, but still couldn't find it.

A guy on another site said they are bentover rows where the weight touches the ground, and the movement should be very explosive. I, too, would like to see how they are done.

http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/showt...hp?t=134232600

This thread discusses them and JS posts a few pictures of them.

I made my best muslce gains with almost the exact routine. 5x5 squating 3 times a week. I then switched to a split and didnt get near the results of the 5x5 so i switched back. Its great for strength and burns a lot of calories.

squat it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by cwm
    I made my best muslce gains with almost the exact routine. 5x5 squating 3 times a week. I then switched to a split and didnt get near the results of the 5x5 so i switched back. Its great for strength and burns a lot of calories.
    stupid question, but i'd feel stupider if i didn't ask. how do you recover enough to squat 3 times/week? the most i've tried is twice (mon/thurs), and that was hard enough.
    always hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by squat it all!
    stupid question, but i'd feel stupider if i didn't ask. how do you recover enough to squat 3 times/week? the most i've tried is twice (mon/thurs), and that was hard enough.
    Wednesday is at ~85% of what you did on Monday, so it's not quite as hard. It takes time to adjust to it, but because you're never training to failure, it takes less time to recover.

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    Wednesday is at ~85% of what you did on Monday, so it's not quite as hard. It takes time to adjust to it, but because you're never training to failure, it takes less time to recover.
    The bolded part is key. Remember, it's 85% (I think at first, I'm gonna do 80) of what you did before, it's NOT 85% of 1RM. So if you work out on Monday at 80% 1RM, then Wednesday will be around 70% of 1RM.
    Last edited by BG5150; 09-07-2005 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by khari
    http://forum.mesomorphosis.com/showt...hp?t=134232600

This thread discusses them and JS posts a few pictures of them.
    EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks so much!

is this the site you are asking about? http://www.exrx.net
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

"It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

This is where I got my info on 5x5. It also goes into 5x5 and DFHT...

http://www.bodybuilding.net/showthre...4&page=1&pp=40

BIG BOI
    i just wanted to make sure i understand for squats monday your doing 5x5 with 1 weight?... so say 300x5x5(if u get 5 on all of them)? so your going to failure on the last 2 maybe... wednesday u drop the weight say 250x5x5(u would get all 5 reps for 5 sets) then friday u do 5x5 but warmups inclunded... 135x5,185x5,225x5,275x5,300x5? so the last 1 is failure?

is that correct?
    Last edited by big calvin; 09-08-2005 at 07:59 AM.

It's doable because the volume day is a relatively low %, the light day is even lighter, and the heavy day (ideally) only has the heavy 5-rep set as your working volume.

I wouldn't sacrifice the volume at first. If anything sacrifice the weight and work up. Getting the reps is a lot more important than the weight, and you'll want to build up to the PR weights over a 2-3 week period anyway. Use the 3x3 phase for dropping volume.

Also you might consider doing front squats on Wednesday if you find you can't handle the work load, or even dropping squats all together. That's what I've done, since I'm currently using Wednesday to work on the deadlift.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock