The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Help With My Gym Job!

Ok,So I have been lifting for about a year and 8months. I just got a job at my gym and am finishing my second week. Thanx to you guys on wannabebig.com I have really become quite knowledgable in health and exercise. But I would like to learn more about routines for people. Like for instance, if an older gentlemen wanted to be put on a program or a young girl wanted to lift; I would have no idea what kind of exercises or how much weight. Are there any books or anything that would help me out.Thanx alot everyone.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Do that voodoo that he do
    Look in to becoming a certified personal trainer.

The two most credible organizations are the NSCA and the ACSM.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

Those are very basic and one demensional questions, first off you can't just write a program based on a young girl wanting to lift. You have to be more specific,ie.goals, BW,BF%, injury's..etc. My question to you is, what are you doing training these people if you don't know what your doing??? Maybe you shouldn't be working in this field bro, or at least have some knowledge before you take a position like this. If your a trainer you should have some certificates or degree's..ie . Kin degree, CPTN...etc.and if you DON'T, than don't start training or writing out programs for people until you know what your doing, and having 8 months under your belt is still wet behind the ears bro and is far from telling others how to train....just my.02

Flexx.
    Height:6'
    Weight:280lbs off season, 240lbs on season
    max bench 540,deadlift 650,squat 600
    obstacles are things you see when you take your eye off your goal

Well, I was hired as an "Activity Tech", I basically walk around and make sure people are happy. I also spot people and show them how to use the machines.I'm not a personal trainer by any means,but we are allowed to put people on programs. Any info is helpful.Thanx

Quote Originally Posted by Flexx
    Those are very basic and one demensional questions, first off you can't just write a program based on a young girl wanting to lift. You have to be more specific,ie.goals, BW,BF%, injury's..etc. My question to you is, what are you doing training these people if you don't know what your doing??? Maybe you shouldn't be working in this field bro, or at least have some knowledge before you take a position like this. If your a trainer you should have some certificates or degree's..ie . Kin degree, CPTN...etc.and if you DON'T, than don't start training or writing out programs for people until you know what your doing, and having 8 months under your belt is still wet behind the ears bro and is far from telling others how to train....just my.02

Flexx.
    :withstupi

As good as your intentions may be, and I am sure they are, you really shouldn't be giving any advice beyond how a machine works. You can cause serious injuries, set backs and cause people to take the wrong approach to reaching their goals all together if you don't know what you are talking about. I am surprised that your boss actually allows you to create routines for people. I guess it saves him the expense of having to hire an actual training coach.

No offense intended but you really should get some schooling under your belt first. I am sure people would respect the fact that you don't want to give them the wrong advice or steer them in the wrong direction just because you are not 100% sure how to advise them properly. I would tend to advise them of websites like this or literature that they can read to find the answers they are looking for. JMHO
    Last edited by bassman09; 09-08-2005 at 11:06 AM.