The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

lower back pain for days after squats

I've been doing squats for over a month now, and still get lower back pain for days after I do squats. My back doesn't hurt during squats, maybe on the last set with the highest weight I will feel a slight tinge of pain in my lower back, but after for days it hurts.
    My back does heal and go back to normal.. only to hurt again the next time I do squats.

What should I do here? Does my back need time to strenghten? SHould I lowre the weight and do more reps?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Is it muscle soreness, or pain, like you've hurt something?
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I dont think it's normal.

I didn't know back soreness was a side effect of squats, I've never experienced it even in the slightest. I think you should look into directly and safely working on your back strength and endurance, and making sure your squat form is solid. Don't hurt yourself man, that would be bad news!
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

Wannabebig New Member
    That definitely does not sound good. Make sure your form is correct, it sounds like you may be leaning forward on your last sets and straining your back. I have done that before, coming up out of the hole on my last few reps and getting tired, loose focus and end up leaning forward, putting too much strain on my lower back.

As mentioned above, gotta be really careful, a back injury can put you out for months.

Your lower back is bothering you because of one or more of the following reasons:

*You aren't keeping your abs tight throughout the movement and/or your abs are weak
    *You aren't keeping your upper back tight, which causes you to hunch over throwing more stress on your lower back
    *Your hips are rising out of the hole faster than your head and shoulders which, again, throws your upper body forward and makes you do a "good morning" to finish the movement.

Keep your head up, chest out, abs tight throughout the movement. It is CRUCIAL that you are not breathing or letting your abs lose tension "in the hole" (the bottom) and coming out of the hole. Set up, inhale, hold and go.
    Last edited by Sensei; 09-08-2005 at 10:40 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    Are you not supposed to feel anything in your lower back from squat? Is it normal to feel sore?

It's normal to feel some lower-back soreness if you've done very heavy weights or a lot of reps (like the 20-rep sets of "hardgainer" training fame). But if you get chronic lower back pain from any old squats, there's a weakness in your lift that needs to be addressed.
    Last edited by tholian8; 09-08-2005 at 01:28 PM.
    "The female of the species is more deadly than the male."

My attempts at lifting heavy objects

Current maxes:

Squat 145 kg (320 lbs)
    Bench 67.5 kg (149 lbs)
    DL: 142.5 kg (314 lbs)

...oh, and I'm a girl.

You should feel the same sort of mild soreness/tightness in the lower back after squats and deadlifts, since they both work the lower back.
    However, 'pain' in the lower back doesn't sound at all like normal soreness. Might wanna visit the doctor, and have a sports trainer observe your form on squats, as it sounds like you rounded your lower back and injured it, likely a strained or pulled muscle...hopefully not a spinal injury.

Quote Originally Posted by malkore
    You should feel the same sort of mild soreness/tightness in the lower back after squats and deadlifts, since they both work the lower back.
    I always get more lower back soreness from deadlifts. Part of it will depend on your squatting style, but generally you shouldn't have to lean as far forward when squatting as when you deadlift.

If you lower back and abs are strong, and your form is good, there should be minimal lower back soreness with squats.

When I'm in shape, my lower back almost never hurts from squatting unless I'm doing very heavy singles and/or I have trouble unracking/reracking the weight.

Sensei,

very true. deadlifts are much more lower back oriented than squats, so squats should really only leave a tightness, rather than soreness you'd expect from deadlift DOMS.

I just over-simplified in my post.

Everything Sensei said.

My lower back is never effected from squats. (Unless I do them wrong).

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    Yer kidding..My lower back always is sore afterwards.
    Then why the rule "Never back before Legs"?
    I admit I might be doing them wrong but I worked with a powerlifter for a month to get it right so I doubt it.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

my lowerback get sore once in a while and is always sore if i add in STDL.

My lower back only gets sore from heavy DLs and GMs. Squats affect my hammys and knees, but not back.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by Hatred
    Yer kidding..My lower back always is sore afterwards.
    Then why the rule "Never back before Legs"?
    I admit I might be doing them wrong but I worked with a powerlifter for a month to get it right so I doubt it.
    Your lower back gets a lot of isometric work w. squats. If you tire it out before squatting it will be tough to maintain proper form and you're setting yourself up for injury.

If your lower back is always sore after squatting, then IMHO you need to look at your ab/lower-back strength and your form.

I alluded to it before, but some powerlifters have really pronounced upper body lean when they squat and that will place more stress on your lower back than squatting upright.