Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clueless people when working out

Wannabebig New Member

Clueless people when working out

I've got some friends who seem to be complete dumbasses and can really tell they don't know what they are doing while they lift, and want to help them out. For one, an obvious thing is their form is clear off. Instead of focusing on perfect form, they think they will get stronger by racking on weight and swaying their shoulders and back while they do those curls, and throw their elbows everywhere. The worst is when they do it as fast as possible, never controlling the weight, and letting it just drop on the return. Thats pretty clear to me, but they have this idea I've never heard of and can't see it working. These guys aren't THAT strong and they think it's a great idea to do bench, put 10 pounds on each side and do it fast as many times as you can (normally about 50 till you get tired). This was baffling as I always see people preaching 3x5 or 3x6-8 like in the routines NEVER more then 10. Can someone explain or point to an article explaining why this is not beneficial?

i don't pay attention to these folks no more !i concentrate on ME and how i'm progressing! been there done that!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

well not really "NEVER". There are exceptions. High rep, 12 or more, is more of an endurance training and have little benefit to strength and mass gain. This site is wananbebig.com therefore people preach on using low reps. However, high reps isn't useless by anymean. It can be a very good working rep range if you know what to do with it, or what exercises to use it for. But anyway, 50 reps of bench just sound stupid. I'm guessing they aim toward getting pumped up.

Banned
    Whats wrong with not exceeding 10? Personally I stick with about 6 per set. and yeah getfits right just focus on yourself

Who the F cares what they do? If they give you grief, tell 'em to come see you in a year and you have massive pecs and titanic guns and they have wrist injuries and Screech-like bodies.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Yeah after all they provide some comic relief for us serious dudes.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Who the F cares what they do? If they give you grief, tell 'em to come see you in a year and you have massive pecs and titanic guns and they have wrist injuries and Screech-like bodies.
    :withstupi And they'll most likely not have learned their lessons and still be curling the same dumbbells.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

i just bat everyone over the head when they're in my way!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

If they don't ask YOU for help, let them stay clueless.

Sooner or later they will realize they suck at lifting and quit, or ask you for help once they see you progressing.

I wouldn't waist time trying to offer up info to them if they are not asking for it.

When it comes down to it, there can be only one...

even if you do confront them and show them the correct form, they won't listen to you. They think their way is the best and they wont believe anyone else. I wouldnt waste your time, unless they ask you for help.

yea we have some of those at my gym as well.....I pity them....bouncing it off there chest goin 90 to nothin....everytime I move up in weight he has to do more....I find it hilarous...guys the size of coat rack....he struggles I laugh....but most of the time I focus on me....I've heard of that bench tho....its called circuit...its for endurance....not getting stronger....u go by time not reps....wastin those gym dues....

Wannabebig New Member
    Good damn suggestions guys, I've been reading this forum for awhile, got myself with my dad doing WBB #1 routine, and finishing up the second week, finally got a reason to post and I encounter some damn cool people.

There is something to be said about training for explosive power, but I'm pretty sure that this isn't what they're doing.

Just let them be, and focus on you.

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    LOL...Screech...I remember that show (good times).

I agree with the above statement in its entirety. Don't let the stupidity of others slow you down from achieving your goals. Like CarlP once said..."Don't worry about what everyone else does. Worry about getting bigger/stronger than you."
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

You stay classy San Diego. Ron Burgundy's Avatar
    Well I wasw on vacation, and i was working out. I saw a guy, tring to impress his girlfriend, by doing the row with full weight on, do it completly with is legs and pulling with his back, not lifting, but pulling, i thought to myself what a dumbass, this is the opitomy of idiocy that kid is going to kill his back, i couldnt belive it lol.

(like my nice run-on sentance)

squat it all!
    it used to piss me off to see people lifting like that. i guess it still does a little. but i feel sorry for them more now -- mostly cuz i know an injury is just around the corner.

it'd be their own fault, but i still wish i could say "hey jackass! what the f are you doing???" but then, I'D be the A-hole, right??
    always hungry...

Offer a challenge. Bet them each $20 that, over a period of time (say 3 months) that you will increase your lifts (bench/squat/dead/curls for the queers there/whatever) more than they can. When you win, and after you collect the cash, then maybe they'll come to you for help. Until then, you rule and they suck and that's the way they likes it.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

I like that Drew lol, and squat thats exaclty how i feal, but this kid is showin off and he'll probly try to fight me or somthing (not that im scared, im just not a big fighter *id whope his ass lol*) but he will hurt hims self and it makes me feal bad that i didnt do anything =\.

I had a mate who used to do that, his entire workout consisited of doing a shedload of DB curls, and he used to swing about so much while doing it it looked like he was dancing. I tried to advise him about form (more because i was concerned about the damage he might be doing to himself with all that swaying about with weights than anythign else) and he resented it, thought i was trying to be a smartass. Five years later and he's still the same size as he was then, and probably still doing the same workout every few days.
    Still, some people are impressed by guys who can do hundreds of press-ups so high-rep exercises do have some use , just not for what most people here are aiming for.

every now and then when people are talking about lifting, my ears always prick straight up. the other day i heard these guys talking about some guy who was really strong talking about how he was squatting a whole bunch of weight. i was finally thinking id heard about someone who wasnt a douchebag. and then the guy says "so then, he started free weight squatting and he was still using some pretty good weight." i let out a disapointed sigh.

speaking of squatting, yesterday when i was squatting i farted for an entire rep. it was very hard on my concentration, but at least i lift at home and not in a public place

Wow thats the funnist thing ive ever herd, I would have droped the weight and killed my self laughing omg lol thats realy funny

Yesterday some guy with a decent build was going "Uhh!" really loud each rep on SMITH MACHINE BENCHING. Come on, gimme a break. DLs and squats one thing, but smith machine benching?! Come on...

I find any noises people make annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by Mission
    Yesterday some guy with a decent build was going "Uhh!" really loud each rep on SMITH MACHINE BENCHING. Come on, gimme a break. DLs and squats one thing, but smith machine benching?! Come on...
    so what's wrong with benching on a smith?

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Burgundy
    I find any noises people make annoying.
    even sneezing!

gain 50lbs-Anthony