Thread: Genetics vs training

Wannabebig New Member

Genetics vs training for pec size

I'm new to the forum and hopefully I will be posting more in the future. But for now, I have a pretty simple question I'd like to get some advice on. I've read a few page of posts and apologies if this has been answered elsewhere.

I've been lifting for about 2 years now and have seen serious improvements in my strength and muscle definition. However, the one area I'd like to improve on, but see little appearance results, are my pecs. While all of my other muscle areas have grown dramatically in size, the size of my pecs show little physical improvement. I'm currently ~172lbs and max single-rep flat bench at about 250 and decline single rep at about 275lb, with proper technique. I think that's a respectable amount but I don't see the coorlation in muscle size when looking in the mirror. I see guys at my gym lifting much less but with great pec size and I can't help but wonder what I'm doing wrong. Is this something that's I have to accept as a natural limitation set by genetics or something I can improve on with a more fine tuned routine?

My current pec routines are as followed:
    1) Decline benchpress: 8x225, 6x235, 4x245
    2) Flat flies: 8x50, 8x55, 6x60
    3) Incline dumbell press: 8x65, 6x70, 4x75
    I do about 3-4 more exercises for tris and delts and sometimes I throw in a cable cross routine. By the end of the hour, I'm usually very drained and my muscles can't handle one more set of lifting even on easy weights. I've mixed up my routines and rotate my techniques as well.

Please chime and help me figure out what's going on.
    Last edited by chopsticker; 09-13-2005 at 03:08 AM.

If I were you I would just keep on gaining weight. When you're 220lbs and ripped then you can start bringing up your weaknesses =)

Do pec isolation (flies) before other chest exercises if you want to concentrate on them. Your bench form may involve pecs less than you think, as the shoulders and triceps can help too much.

Also, when doing them, make sure you use a full ROM, fully control the weight with a pause at the bottom, and a squeeze at the top.

I'd say cable flies are better too, they have full resistance at the top of the ROM (full contraction), whereas DB flies have little resistance at the top.

I'd also ignore advice to leave it until you're 220lb... If there's a 'problem', the sooner it's fixed the better, obviously.

GL
    Age 29 | Height: 5'11 | Weight: 176 lbs (a while ago) | Weight: 180 lbs (2-Nov-05) | Weight: 181 lbs (8-Nov-05)

Quote Originally Posted by IRN-BRU
    Do pec isolation (flies) before other chest exercises if you want to concentrate on them. Your bench form may involve pecs less than you think, as the shoulders and triceps can help too much.

Also, when doing them, make sure you use a full ROM, fully control the weight with a pause at the bottom, and a squeeze at the top.

I'd say cable flies are better too, they have full resistance at the top of the ROM (full contraction), whereas DB flies have little resistance at the top.

I'd also ignore advice to leave it until you're 220lb... If there's a 'problem', the sooner it's fixed the better, obviously.

GL
    Good advice here, pre-exhaustion works very well for pecs. If you've been doing the same routine for a long time, changing it up would help your growth as well.
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat