Thread: What's better for chest?

What's better for chest?

Hey guys. Anyway, I'm a little bored now cause my first class isn't till 11AM and my roommate has a 10AM...so yea, I'm up.

So, I'm just wondering what's better for chest gains?

I currently do:

-flat bench BB - 3 sets of 6-7
    -decline bench BB - 3 sets of 6-7
    -incline bench BB - 3 sets of 6-7
    -end with flat flies - 35lb DBs

Now, would it be better to throw in some DB bench instead of doing all BB bench? I don't really want to add another exercise to my chest routine since my chest is usually cashed after doing the above.

Today's my chest day so I figured I'd ask.

--Dan.

imho i would either do flat bench or incline then flys! the end!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

do you do upper /lower?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Do 6 sets of bench press plus an appropriate progressive warmup.

The week after that, do 6 sets of incline press.

Alternate by week, not within workouts. Add weight to the bar.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    do you do upper /lower?
    What you mean?

So, basically, you all are saying not to do all three in the same session; just one, not even two?

This way I guess I'll get a better idea of what I *really* incline/decline press versus what I do after doing flat BB bench.

--Dan.

Banned
    Why alternate in weeks and not workouts?

Quote Originally Posted by [[[----]]]
    Why alternate in weeks and not workouts?
    A better question is, "Why alternate within workouts?"

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Banned
    OK, so why do flat one week and then incline the next as opposed to both every week?

Quote Originally Posted by [[[----]]]
    OK, so why do flat one week and then incline the next as opposed to both every week?
    My question exactly. What ever's best, great, I'll do it. I just want the reasoning behind it...

--Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyboyXJ
    My question exactly. What ever's best, great, I'll do it. I just want the reasoning behind it...

--Dan.
    Doing all 4 of those lifts in 1 day is probably overkill. Lots of volume when you do flat, incline, decline all in one day.
    How many times a week do you lift for chest?

Mix probably just meant to rotate flat, decline, incline every chest day..that would be my guess.

Quote Originally Posted by DannyboyXJ

--Dan.
    There is no best exercise.* Work from that principle.

*Except for weighted dips. They kick ass. Okay, they're good, but there still isn't a best.

i meant upper /lower split!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

No girl, you were talking about upper and lower chest - I know you were!!!!

DJ

Oooooooohhh. You gonna take that, getfit?
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

ya i know i know! i thought he was doing an upper/lower body split!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    No girl, you were talking about upper and lower chest - I know you were!!!!

DJ
    umm no!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    Doing all 4 of those lifts in 1 day is probably overkill. Lots of volume when you do flat, incline, decline all in one day.
    How many times a week do you lift for chest?

Mix probably just meant to rotate flat, decline, incline every chest day..that would be my guess.
    Right now I only do chest once a day.

Mon: chest/shoulders
    Tue: legs
    Wed: back
    Fri: arms

---I'll throw abs in there a couple times a week.

--Dan.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    So you dedicated one day to legs (40% or so of your muscle groups) and the same amount of time to arms (10%-15% or so of your muscle groups). Makes no sense.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Banned
    as opposed to dedicating one day to quads, one day to hamms, one day to calves, and split the upper body up into 2 days?

legs are good as because the easiest way to work them is with compound movements, unlike arms, as you have to do several things differently to get the same growth effect.

i.e bench. yes it works triceps, but not near enough to stimulate max growth. squats is a total leg workout, i cant think of any upper body workouts that work every muscle in one exercise to the extreme that squats do?

imo theres nothing wrong with only having one day for arms and one day for legs etc

Banned
    So even if you do chest once per week still only shorten it like this?

I don't think doing all these exercise in the same day is such a bad thing, as long as the volume stays where it's at. He's only doing 10 sets for chest, which is a good target. BUT, as suggested to me in an earlier discussion, dips might be a good substitute for decline bench, if you're already doing flat and incline. I personally like doing flat, incline, and decline bench (or dips), and my chest is responding nicely.

Of course the other changes advised in this post sound pretty good too.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial