The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: damn elbow

Hybrid View

damn elbow

I messed up my elbow somehow doing very heavy dips (i think). now i stopped lifting for about 1 and a half months, and it stopped hurting. Im getting back into pushing movements with my arms such as bench press, close grip bench press, and tricep pulldown. Im staying away from the dips , but thats besides the point...

I still have a slight pain when having my arm flexed and extending my elbow forward (like in a bench press motion). Also my elbow cracks quite loudly (just at random times) and more often than it did before. Should i stop all pushing movements? And do you think my elbow is ****ed for good?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I have the same problem related to years of throwing. It's just something you have to constantly be conscious of when you train. Just warm up the joint real well by working up to your 'working' weight. I don't have any trouble training around my situation (though my knee is getting harder to work with). If it still gives you trouble, then it's time for a trip to the doc.

DJ

Even though they are a great exercise for the tri's and chest, and though I've done them myself in the past, heavy weighted dips will most likely cause shoulder/elbow problems in the long run do to the microscopic trauma it can cause in your rotator cuffs and elbow joints. It's simply an unnatural position for the body to be in to lift heavy weights. Lots of older powerlifter guys I know have had to get reconstructive surgery in those joints and they all happened to do lots of heavy dip work in their younger days.

I would stop the pushing movements for a while, say a couple weeks, then get back into it VERY slowly. You don't want to risk permanent injury. I would ditch the weighted dips from now on and do Close Grip Bench, OH Tri Extensions, and Cable Pressdowns instead.
    5'9" 195 lbs
    DL 600x1
    SQ 490x1 (raw)
    BP 430x1 (shirted), 320x1 (raw)
    SN 209x1 C+J 250x1

My Training Journal
    www.illinipowerlifting.org

"Most people don't want to learn new things. They only want to hear about things that validate crap they're already doing." - Mike Boyle

Quote Originally Posted by Guido
    microscopic trauma it can cause in your rotator cuffs and elbow joints.
    oh noes!! microscopic trauma...MEDIC!

Why don't you just take one of my favorite lifts, toss it up in the air and then drop kick it as far as you can.

This is the worst day of my life...

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    oh noes!! microscopic trauma...MEDIC!

Why don't you just take one of my favorite lifts, toss it up in the air and then drop kick it as far as you can.

This is the worst day of my life...

lol at this. "R.I.P. Dips: 12,000B.C. - 2005 A.D."

I get ****ty pains in my elbows and shoulders too when i do dips. Think I'll switch to some CGs instead as well. Also, you might try visiting a good Chiropracter. They do more than just backwork, you know. My chiro can tweak joints like no other and it apparently resets tendons and ****, that sometimes are wrapped around the bone funny, causing pain and problems during movements. Check it out.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Yea, weighted dips do torque the elbows bad.

DJ