Thread: body fat testers

Hybrid View

body fat testers

does anyone know what kinds of factors affect the body fat testers that send an electric signal through you and according to how it passes tells how much body fat you have?

i think its about +/- 6% accuracy, but im wondering if retaining water affects it, or having a cheat day the day before testing affects it, or if the food in your stomach affects, etc
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

PowermanDL on Russian culture: "Big furry hats come into play somewhere."

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

I don't know too much about these, really, but supposedly the current only measures subcutaneous fat stores, and thus isn't a true measure of BF %.

Also, things like water retention can throw the reading off.

Its the same principle as that Tanita scale, really, and those things tell me I'm a fatass.

Hydrostatic measuring is the most accurate way to have it checked, and even that has a degree of inaccuracy to it.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

so the readings are usually too low then?

and with water retention, does that make it go up or down?
    "Then on leg day do squats, lunges, stiff legged deadlifts, fluffernutters, and calf raises."--Belial, training a newbie

"The harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly; it is dearness only that gives everything its value. I love the man that can smile in trouble, that can gather strength from distress and grow brave by reflection. 'Tis the business of little minds to shrink; but he whose heart is firm, and whose conscience approves his conduct, will pursue his principles unto death." --Thomas Paine

It measures against resistance of current. Water retention would increase the reading.

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Originally posted by PowerManDL
    the current only measures subcutaneous fat stores, and thus isn't a true measure of BF %.
    what does subcutaneous mean?

3:16
    you get two types of fat in this regard.
    fat under the skin
    fat in your internal organs eg heart.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Originally posted by Jane

what does subcutaneous mean?
    Literally, "under the skin."

Subcutaneous fat is the fat that most of us try to rid ourselves of through diet and exercise (though exercise now appears more effective than diet at losing this particular variety).

Visceral fat is the internal fat that surrounds our organs. It also contributes to BF % and health, but isn't what most of us are striving to eliminate.
    Last edited by PowerManDL; 12-22-2001 at 10:36 PM.

3:16
    Originally posted by PowerManDL

Literally, "under the skin."

Subcutaneous fat is the fat that most of us try to rid ourselves of through diet and exercise (though exercise now appears more effective than diet at losing this particular variety).

Visceral fat is the internal fat that surrounds our organs. It also contributes to BF % and health, but isn't what most of us are striving to eliminate.
    visceral fat level are the ones more assoicted with heart attacks? than subcutaneous layer of fat. But people try to reduce levels of subcutaneous layers of fat.

I am not sure how much truth is in this, but diet reduces subcutanoues fat layers more than visceral, while exercise effects visceral fat more. It could be the opposite way round if true. Thats why its best to exercise and diet to get the best of both worlds.

Test and estrogen, when it comes to fat loss have different effects on the different fat.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.