The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

squat it all!

bar placement on squats -- low or high?

what do you prefer and WHY? how wide is your stance, and does this effect your bar placement?
    always hungry...

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

I always place the bar low, between traps and delts. I like it there because I feel I have better control of the weight and I can stay much tighter than if it were higher up, although I need to chalk my back as the sweat makes the bar slip.

I use a wide stance (about 42") and it has no effect on my bar placement.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

squat it all!
    does the low bar placement force you to lean forward more? that's my problem -- staying upright and driving through my heels. wouldn't a high-bar placement let you stay more upright, closer to a front squat? i know i'm ignorant, but i sure do need help. thanks!
    always hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by squat it all!
    does the low bar placement force you to lean forward more? that's my problem -- staying upright and driving through my heels. wouldn't a high-bar placement let you stay more upright, closer to a front squat?
    Yes, you are pitched forward a little more w. a low bar placement, but because the COG is lower it should be easier on your core. You have to stay more upright w. a high-bar placement and it will be harder to hit depth w. a wide stance.

I do manta-ray squats occasionally when I want to do high-bar work, but most of my squatting is done low bar w. a slightly wide stance. Here's a pic of my bar placement and stance:

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    I do manta-ray squats occasionally when I want to do high-bar work, but most of my squatting is done low bar w. a slightly wide stance. Here's a pic of my bar placement and stance:

What's the point of the chains, m8? To increase the load as you stand up?
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

Quote Originally Posted by Wierz
    What's the point of the chains, m8? To increase the load as you stand up?
    That is EXACTLY the point!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Yes, you are pitched forward a little more w. a low bar placement, but because the COG is lower it should be easier on your core. You have to stay more upright w. a high-bar placement and it will be harder to hit depth w. a wide stance.

Awesome form dude. That's about where I rest the bar. Notice though that your shoulders might get stressed a bit more with a low bar position so be sure that you are flexible enough.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Quote Originally Posted by Max-Mex
    Awesome form dude. That's about where I rest the bar. Notice though that your shoulders might get stressed a bit more with a low bar position so be sure that you are flexible enough.
    Thanks! Yes, you have to make sure that you are keeping your chest out and your upper back flexed (like you are doing a rear double biceps pose) - this is help keep the bar securely resting on top of your rear delts. If you lose tightness, the bar can slip down and put a lot of stress on your shoulders and wrists.

If anything, the higher bar placement will make you lean forward more. Simply put, it make your center of gravity higher.

Here's a great article on squats: http://www.midwestbarbell.com/articles/squat.htm
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    If anything, the higher bar placement will make you lean forward more. Simply put, it make your center of gravity higher.

Here's a great article on squats: http://www.midwestbarbell.com/articles/squat.htm
    Great article.

When you place it low, you're forced to arch your back much harder and it will find its groove in your CoG.

Definitely place it lower rather than higher. It should almost feel as if it's going to roll off at first. As was already stated, this will make it easier to stay upright and will also take some of the stress off your lower back. You can use a variety of stances, but if your main goal is to target your quads you should stand narrower rather than wider.

squat it all!
    sensei, where do you work out that you have a manta ray and chains? i go to golds, and if i brought in some chains or bands (ala westside), i'd be kicked out by all the soccer moms and curl jockeys!
    always hungry...

Quote Originally Posted by squat it all!
    sensei, where do you work out that you have a manta ray and chains? i go to golds, and if i brought in some chains or bands (ala westside), i'd be kicked out by all the soccer moms and curl jockeys!
    I own both chains and a manta ray. The manta ray is easy to carry around, so I keep it in my bag.

The chains I usually leave in the weight room at school (where I teach).

You might talk to a manager at Golds and see if they'd be willing to keep chains there if you're willing to bring them in. I don't know if there are liability issues they would bawk at or not, but it's worth a try. Dragging them back and forth to the gym is no fun at all...

You sure Gold's won't let you use bands/chains?

Also, no one who squats less than you can say anything to you unless they have permission. Remember that.

squat it all!
    Quote Originally Posted by drew

Also, no one who squats less than you can say anything to you unless they have permission. Remember that.
    not sure, but i've been to 5 diff. golds, and i've never seen anyone use chains. i saw one guy using bands with a PT, but they attached them to his arms instead of the bar (read: WTF?). should mention that he was benching, not squatting.
    Last edited by squat it all!; 09-14-2005 at 01:00 PM.
    always hungry...

Words to live by. Stolen for my signature.

I sometimes put a light band between my wrists when I'm doing speed bench. This is to help teach me to pull outward on the bar.

squat it all!
    I sometimes put a light band between my wrists when I'm doing speed bench. This is to help teach me to pull outward on the bar.
    this guy had the bands around the crook of his elbow. in other words, pulling down on his biceps as he pressed upwards... that's just f-ed in my opinion.
    always hungry...

Oh, wow. What an idiot. What happens when they slide off and snap in his mouth?