Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chiropractor?

Chiropractor?

I am just curious to see how many people actually go to a chiropractor on a regular basis. Some people recommend going regularily to help stay injury free.

I have NEVER gone and see it as a fairly expensive addition to my training program.

The people who recommend going to a chiropractor on a regular basis are chiropractors and people who got sucked into believing chiropractors telling them they should go on a regular basis. When I was going to mine, he did NOTHING to help me relieve any kind of pain in my back and for years I always thought it was a waste of time. If it was so good, who do you always have to be going?

I can understand going to get a massage because it feels good and does wonders for your muscles but chiropractors basically do nothing but crack your back and you really don't feel any different. My ex goes every week for her back and she THINKS she has to. She doesn't have a strong grip on reality anyway but that is a whole other story.

I am currently having electro therapy done and it is helping me 10 fold over what my chiropractor eas doing.
    Last edited by IdaMAN; 09-14-2005 at 01:11 PM.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

I have gone to a Chiropractor for 21 years and have worked in the Chiropractic profession for nearly 19 years. Definitely a valuable asset to one's training and overall health. You do have to find the right one though.

Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Wassung
    I have gone to a Chiropractor for 21 years and have worked in the Chiropractic profession for nearly 19 years. Definitely a valuable asset to one's training and overall health. You do have to find the right one though.

Keith

See, he just proved my point lol.
    My Journal

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

I go once every 6 weeks or so.

My Chiro eliminated pain I had for 10 years, pain MDs could never touch without prescribing drugs and telling me not to lift any more. I'm now pretty much pain free.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

I guess it depends on where the pain is coming from. I can see going once every 6 weeks, but mine wanted me going like twice aa week or so.
    My Journal

Are Chiropractors MDs with a specialty in the spine? I am beginning to think I need to see one.

...such as a pediatrician specializes in children, a podiatrist in feet, etc...
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

Quote Originally Posted by Wierz
    Are Chiropractors MDs with a specialty in the spine? I am beginning to think I need to see one.

...such as a pediatrician specializes in children, a podiatrist in feet, etc...

No
    My Journal

A good massage therapist, esp one that has a sports background (pro sports esp.) are many times as good, or better than your average chiro. My buddy goes to a guy that also works on some of the pro atheletes down here in Houston. He's a big guy so he can manipulate other big guys (man that sounds really gay). Anyway, after 2 weeks my buddy fired his chiro.

DJ

Quote Originally Posted by djreef
    A good massage therapist, esp one that has a sports background (pro sports esp.) are many times as good, or better than your average chiro. My buddy goes to a guy that also works on some of the pro atheletes down here in Houston. He's a big guy so he can manipulate other big guys (man that sounds really gay). Anyway, after 2 weeks my buddy fired his chiro.

DJ
    Yep. This is my beef with chiro. I don't doubt that it is, in many cases, quite effective. I do doubt that there is anything particularly special about it versus any other kind of physical therapy and massage. The artificial trappings of Chiropodist and their "medical schools" essentially means that the service will be more expensive than equally effective techniques.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Yeah I've always gotten the idea that many (if not most) chiropractors don't really do much but crack your bones. I think it's one of those placebo things where people THINK that it is helping them but it really isn't.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

My chiropracter is a bad ass. He works with all sorts of athletes in addition to owning his own facility. I went because I was having major spasms in my back and severe pain when turning to the left. He runs a full EMG and Thermography analyses on your spine along with a complete spinal X-Ray before ever working on you. Turns out, my spine was all twisted up and my neck no longer had a curve in it, causing my posture to lurk forward. On top of that, the nerves in my back that control the muscles were out of control from my subluxation. I began a program with him (it was expensive, but my back is worth a lot to me...) going 3 times per week. After 3 months, I no longer have back pain, my posture is about 150% better and the curve in my neck is being restored. This was important to me to avoid herniated discs when i am older, which can be genetic and my mother had several that could not be repaired. She lives in much pain. So, if you go to a chiropracter, go to a good one. Make sure they do not just start working on you without first consulting with you and taking X-Rays.

Oh, one more note for IdaMAN: The reason you should continue to go, is for the same reasons you continue to strength train. Nothing in your body, muscles or bones is stable. Your skeletal system apparently is very easy to knock out of line and move around. Just sleeping in the wrong position or tripping and falling down can move vertibrae around. A Chiropracter basically aligns your body, sort of like a car alignment.
    Last edited by Kiaran; 09-14-2005 at 04:05 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

I don't get my car aligned once a week. Also, seeing a chiro as much as I workout and I would be in debt.
    My Journal

I've been going to chiropractors regularly since my first accident at age 16. So 6 years for me now. I use to go every week for awhile. I heard a lot of people saying you can't go that much and it's bad for your joints. Well chiropractic adjustments have been the only thing that have temporarily eliminated a lot of my pain in the neck, back, shoulders. Pain meds just won't do what the adjustments do. When your neck is all out of whack it effects your thinking, your energy.. everything. I even attempted to stop getting adjusted for 2 months and when i finally got adjusted last week I felt like a whole new person. During those 2 months i was terribly depressed and in the worst pain of my life. SO yeah.. i'am a big believer in chiropractors. The only thing i can say is if you don't have spine issues.. don't go to them. Idaman... you probably don't need one so don't go! For people like me who have degeneration and herniations in the neck and shoulders i can't live without them.

If anyone has chiropractic reccomendations in jacksonville, FL post it up! i'am moving there.
    Last edited by waynis; 09-14-2005 at 05:22 PM.
    Never Giving In.

Waynis I'll take the pain meds that don't work on you...

You can just mail them to me if you want.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Thanks for the responses everbody.

I am of the belief that if it isn't broken don't fix it. So for now I won't be going but I have noticed my neck and shoulders getting tight every now and then. If I am not careful with my pillow placement while sleeping I can wake up with a kink in my neck which can last for several days, sometimes it's weeks before it's 100% again.

I actually use a ergonomic pillow with two layers of memory foam underneath it in order to provide my neck with the right amount of height and support I seem to need to avoid a kink.

I was just curious to see if weightlifting and going to a chiropractor on a regular basis went hand in hand.

Banned
    Once a month. Prevenative approach rather than a reactive approach. Works for me (and I can feel it if I skip a month, so I don't).

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    Yeah I've always gotten the idea that many (if not most) chiropractors don't really do much but crack your bones. I think it's one of those placebo things where people THINK that it is helping them but it really isn't.
    I was almost bought into thinking that too. That's why I stopped for awhile. Well my pain went from moderate to severe and for the first time in my life I considered harsh pain meds. I clearly wasn't thinking straight as I went back for one visit to get a adjustment and I feel so much better. It doesn't last very long for my condition but relief is relief and i'll take any I can.

Once again.. if you don't need a chiropractor don't go to one. And if your not in need for one you don't know what they can do for u either. As far as weight lifting goes.. I'am much stronger after i've been adjusted. It's like going from lifting on a empty stomach to eating a full meal a hour before u lift. When everythings in line your body won't compensate and use other muscles for the movement. Rather it should use the prime mover. If your body is compensating thats when injuries occur.
    Last edited by waynis; 09-14-2005 at 08:08 PM.
    Never Giving In.

I would imagine decompressing the nerves running out of your neck prob helps, as well.

DJ

a couple of articles that might be of interest

http://www.chiroviewpresents.com/cli...ategory_id=111

#25 ( I co-authored this one) and I also wrote #'s 10, 11 & 18

article on Chiropractic and athletic performance

http://www.healthsourcechiropractic....erformance.htm

Thanks Keith, I will have a look see.

Wannabebig New Member

I went

I have hardly noticed any difference when I started going to my chiropractor about a month. I went about 2-3x a week since it was covered by my insurance, I figured it was free so why not go for some prevenative work. It doesn't seem to have effect anything so far. For those that go, how long are you sessions? I think mine is scamming me but I don't know for sure. Each session lasts about 3 minutes and I'm out the door. He lays me flat on my stomach and cracks 3 individual vertibrae on my back by press both hands on the spin, turn me on my sides and cracks the lower back then cracks my neck once on each side. In and out in 3 minutes. My insurance company is being billed $50/session, am I getting ripped off?

Why WOULD you notice anything? You already said that you are doing it for PREVENTATIVE work. So if it is preventative, what would you expect? That is like changing your oil in your car and wondering if it is really doing any good for the car because you don't notice it driving differently. Have you had any back problems since you started going?
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

Wannabebig New Member
    I forgot to mention, I originally went in for preventive work but after he took some x-rays he said my neck is not curved properly (too straight) and that my upper spine is crooked to the left pretty seriously. I also had minor back pain, but that was from muscle and nothing to due with the spine. Anyways, 10 sessions and a month later, I haven't noticed a difference. :-\

Kiaran: Sounds like you had a great chiropractor, how long do your sessions usually last so I have some sort of a guage for quality of service?

In the beginning it took about 3-5 minutes. Now it only takes a minute or two for him to adjust some things. Most of my adjustments are finally starting to hold and do not fall outa wack as quickly and as often. My neck is finally starting to have a curve in the back again. One month isn't enough to really notice much. I would give it 4-5 months and see where it's at. I also have to do this thing called "Traction" twice per day, which is a little device that basically strengthens my neck muscles to help hold and restore curvature. That is good that your chiro took X-rays. He sounds compitent.

One more thing: the plan I am on is a corrective one, which basically takes me through 3x/week until things are holding together, from there it goes to 2x/week and finally once/week. After that, I will only really need to go in once per month. So far so good.
    Last edited by Kiaran; 09-15-2005 at 01:00 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs