Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 sets of 8.........

Banned

3 sets of 8.........

Do you guys think 3 sets of eight would be better for gaining mass, because i tend to get close to failure on more sets than I would like normally. What do you guys think?

squat it all!
    "better for gaining mass" as opposed to what? what are you doing now?
    always hungry...

squat it all!
    i know you're journal is posted, but just give me the basic set/rep scheme.
    always hungry...

Banned
    I'm doing kind like 12, 10, 8 reps usually, but I feel im going to failure on too many sets doing this. I know 3X8 would be better for strength, what about mass?

Are you pyramiding the weight up each set?

Banned
    yeah

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Doesn't really matter dude, though I like 3 x 8 better.
    Last edited by Canadian Crippler; 09-14-2005 at 02:01 PM.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    It doesn't have to be so mathematically balanced and organized. Just throw on some weight and push as hard as you can, then up the weight for next set and push as hard as you can. Rinse and repeat for a few sets...depending on your set/rep scheme.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-14-2005 at 02:02 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Someone told me on these forums that weight pyramids are not the best for gaining mass and strength. I can't remember who it was...
    He went on to say that if you pyramid, you are not as fresh to lift the heavier weight by the last set, assuming you are at the highest weight on your final set.
    He said to pick a heavy weight you think you would have trouble doing 6-8 reps with and do it like this.
    He gave me this example: (warmups not included)
    set 1. 60lbsx8
    set 2. 60lbsx8
    set 3. 60lbsx8
    set 4. 50lbsx8

He drops weight on the last set because to get 8 reps out of it, that had to be done.

All the time I hear people telling everyone to "Lift Heavy". What I don't understand is does lifting heavy mean to do what was suggested to me, or is a pyramid up in weight also considered lifting heavy?
    Lifting heavy to me sounds like picking a weight I would have trouble doing 8 times and bust that out for 3-4 sets..dropping down weight to get the same amout of reps each set.
    When you pyramid up in weight, you are exhasting yourself before you get to the heaviest weight you plan to lift...so what if you start at the top of your pyramid on your first set? I'm probably confusing you more than you started as, so I will just shut up now.

Can someone jump in here and give a better understanding of weight related to reps and sets?

squat it all!
    for as long as i can remember, i've done my heaviest work set first, and then drop weight from set to set to maintain the rep range. that's just what i've always done, and it's worked for me.
    always hungry...

If you can only do 8 repetitions the first set then how would you still be able to do 8 reps by the 3rd set? Unless you're taking really long rests between sets you won't be able to do it.

If you are stopping at 8 when you can do more weight or more reps then I think you should either pump out a few more reps or add weight and do 8 reps to failure or nearly to failure.

I also don't like the idea of using your first two sets on lower weight and then going higher on the last set.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

What I do is 4 sets of 8 while increasing the weight on each set. usually the last set is to fail or I stop at 6.

I feel that you will see more gains if you are increasing the weight every week, rather than just doing the same weight and increasing slowly.

If you do more reps, it is more for endurance than for size and strength. People say lift heavy because that is what you have to do to see gains.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

I go up in weight after my first set. Here's what my benching looked like last week:

(not including warmup sets)
    -135 x 9
    -145 x 6
    -145 x 4

But 135 is my "main set," that I try really hard to get PRs on.

I've been seeing good gains doing this.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-14-2005 at 02:29 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

If you can only do 8 repetitions the first set then how would you still be able to do 8 reps by the 3rd set? Unless you're taking really long rests between sets you won't be able to do it.

If you are stopping at 8 when you can do more weight or more reps then I think you should either pump out a few more reps or add weight and do 8 reps to failure or nearly to failure.

I also don't like the idea of using your first two sets on lower weight and then going higher on the last set.
    So what's left?
    Did you just say you don't like either situations? Don't leave me hangin'

What do YOU do? When you go into the gym and do BB bench press, what do you do. Weight, reps, sets, drinks of water...etc

Usually something like this... let's take squats as an example.

Warmup Set: 6x275
    Warmup Set: 4x315

Working Set: 9x345
    Working Set: 7x345
    Working Set: 6x345

It should be noted, of course, that I do not go anywhere close to failure for warmup sets but go nearly to failure for my working sets.

I'm not quite sure that it's a good idea to not go at least somewhat close to failure when lifting.
    Last edited by d'Anconia; 09-14-2005 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Typo
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by IdaMAN
    What I do is 4 sets of 8 while increasing the weight on each set. usually the last set is to fail or I stop at 6.
    :withstupi Although in practice, I only do 3 sets. But I usually only take the last one to failure, with the heaviest weight.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

So 1/2 of you pyramid up, some of you partial pyramid up, and the rest work with the same weight for your working sets BUT lower the reps each set...

Since everyone claims to have success in one method or the other, it just goes to show that there is no one way to get gains.
    Everyone's different, and the only way to find out if 3 sets of 8 is going to make you huge, is to try it out for a while and see how it goes.
    Last edited by muscleup; 09-14-2005 at 02:47 PM.

I do think that each working set should be hard and heavy though. No matter what the weight or reps is.
    Lifting Journal

I do my warmup and then do threeish sets per exercise. I aim for 5-6 reps on my first set. I just do as many as I can from there on out. 5 5 5 would be amazing. It usually works out to 5-6, 5, 3-4 though. Keep in mind also, the length of time you allow your muscles to rest (I usually go 2.5-5 mins) highly influences your spread.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Banned
    Thanks fellas for the advice, I used to do 3X8 for a while until switching to this for a while. I think im going to change it back though.

Yeah I think the different ways all work well. Even if one way is better than the other, it's probably by a somewhat negligible amount.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Wannabebig Member
    Isn't 3 sets excessive, according to WBB1 (unless one only does 2 exercises for a body part) ???

No, it's not excessive. In fact, I usually never go below 3 sets as a minimum, unless it's something not as important like shrugs or calf raises, then sometimes I will do like 2 sets.
    Lifting Journal

this is what i did this week for chest,
    flat bb - warm up x bar, 176 x 10, 198 x 8, 220 x 4+2, drop 110 x 20
    ive always uped the weight progressively and lowered the reps throughout. i am not really bothered about the numbers however anymore i keep to a similar range but as long as i feel ive killed the muscle i dont mind.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

sets of 3-4 and reps of 8-12 are for buiding muscle