The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

Good and Bad Advice...which is it?

I'm trying to help a friend sort out his lifting routine and diet. However, he's decided to follow the advice of someone else. This someone else is much leaner and stronger than I am, so it would look as though he knows what he's talking about. Here was his advice to my friend

The best time to workout is in the mornings.
    No creatine when you wanna get cut.
    Protien shakes after you work out or in the morning on days off.
    No carbs in the evening.
    No eating within 2 hours before sleeping.
    And...abs everyday.
    My answer to this was...

I don't know about the best time of day to workout, but I'm sure whenever is fine.
    Creatine is close to no calories and helps increase LBM, so in effect it would help with cutting.
    Protien is protien is protien. The only true difference may be that the protien in shakes are more quickly absorbed into your system that say chicken.
    No carbs in the evening sounds good unless you lift in the evening.
    From what I understand eating before sleeping does not turn the food to fat and little harm could come of it.
    Your abs are like every other muscle so treat it like every other muscle. Your friends who have cut abs who do situps everyday aren't cut because of situps but rather because of the diet they have and their low bf%.
    Would people here generally say I'm right, or have I made any mistakes in my answers. I would rather have him on WBB to check things out for himself, but he doesn't have the internet. I told him not to judge a book by it's cover, as in genetics may have played a bigger role in why his friend is leaner and stronger but that it doesn't necessarily make him more knowlegable. I by no means think I know everything, I just want to get this right.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

i agree with everything u have to say. and weight training in the evening may actually be better as you will have more energy possibly from the food you have consumed throughout the day rather than on an empty stomach.
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

Quote Originally Posted by HILL
    i agree with everything u have to say. and weight training in the evening may actually be better as you will have more energy possibly from the food you have consumed throughout the day rather than on an empty stomach.
    Cool...anyone else. Even if someone out there disagrees with what I have said please comment and let me know why...or if you agree with the initial advise, please say so.

Your advice is more accurate. Simple as that.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

the kid from oz
    i would disagree with you on the creatine thing, although it may help you add lbm, it also helps your body hold more water, hence making you look more bloated and round not lean and cut

Quote Originally Posted by bigedge
    i would disagree with you on the creatine thing, although it may help you add lbm, it also helps your body hold more water, hence making you look more bloated and round not lean and cut
    OK, so if you wanted to lose weight (Just lbs) then you would not take creatine. But if you are wanting to keep LBM while cutting, would you still take it? Healthy weight is good weight right, so whats a little water...unless you are going into competition. Am I right or wrong here?

Quote Originally Posted by Y0yo
    OK, so if you wanted to lose weight (Just lbs) then you would not take creatine. But if you are wanting to keep LBM while cutting, would you still take it? Healthy weight is good weight right, so whats a little water...unless you are going into competition. Am I right or wrong here?
    If water is retained do to creatine, it can be lost in a matter of days just like Crip said.
    I retain water during the week because I drink a gal+ every day while at work. On the weekends I don't drink as much and notice the difference instantly.

Working out in the morning when your body has zero fuel is not something I would recommend to anyone. I notice an intensity difference when I try to lift after 1 meal versus 3-4 meals. Lifting after 3-4 meals is ideal for myself.

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    If water is retained do to creatine, it can be lost in a matter of days just like Crip said.
    I retain water during the week because I drink a gal+ every day while at work. On the weekends I don't drink as much and notice the difference instantly.

Working out in the morning when your body has zero fuel is not something I would recommend to anyone. I notice an intensity difference when I try to lift after 1 meal versus 3-4 meals. Lifting after 3-4 meals is ideal for myself.
    i've been training in the morning for the last 4 years no problem here!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    Have you ever wondered if your progression would have been any different if you chose to lift any other time besides right after you got finished fasting your body for 7-8hrs?
    I bet you'd still be ripped

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    But does morning = best? Whether you've eaten breakfast or not?

If you wanted to lose weight, you'll STILL lose more if you take creatine than if you don't, because it helps your muscles grow, which costs calories.

You'd ditch the creatine just before a show or a photo shoot as part of the whole "water dropping" thing. But you need things like salt and creatine during a cut because they help push water into your muscle cells, which helps them grow.

From http://chemo.net/sodium-.htm
    "Increasing cellular fluid increases protein turnover and overload stimulated lean tissue accrual."

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    If you wanted to lose weight, you'll STILL lose more if you take creatine than if you don't, because it helps your muscles grow, which costs calories.

You'd ditch the creatine just before a show or a photo shoot as part of the whole "water dropping" thing. But you need things like salt and creatine during a cut because they help push water into your muscle cells, which helps them grow.

From http://chemo.net/sodium-.htm
    "Increasing cellular fluid increases protein turnover and overload stimulated lean tissue accrual."

I thought as much. I actually read that link from an earlier thread. Thanks! I'm still curious about the morning evening workouts. Does the time of day really matter? I would assume as long as you got you food in you it wouldn't, and that most people take their schedule into account rather than what time of day is best to "gain muscle mass"

I would assume as long as you got your food in you
    This was my only beef with the morning...hard for me to slam down enough food right after I wake up and then go lift.
    Time of day really means nothin, it's the food intake that's important.
    Sorry I wasn't clearer.

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Ok, and that effect can be diminished in a matter of days. No point in losing LBM so you don't look a bit more bloated during the cut itself.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

I'd agree with cardio in the mornings on an empty stomach for cutting, but no so much the weight training. takes the CNS about 2 hours to fully wake up...so if you lift super early, you'll feel weak and less in control.

Time of day is pretty much personal preference.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

This guy would have told you if there was any science behind it, and or sent you to the appropreite article.

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by muscleup
    This guy would have told you if there was any science behind it, and or sent you to the appropreite article.
    That's why I posted here, so I could double check I was right or wrong, and see if I could back it up with fact not just "Well, I know 2 guys with really cut abs and they do situps everyday." as my fact...which is what he's doing. I just want to make sure he follows fact and not "second hand" advice...
    Last edited by Y0yo; 09-15-2005 at 01:33 PM.

So if you were able to get enough food into yourself (For that particular person...maybe not you) would that person have any reason to believe he's better off lifting in the morning? Any science behind it?

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Or is it as simple as this...that's what I thought, but couldn't back it up with any science.
    Last edited by Y0yo; 09-15-2005 at 01:30 PM.

EDIT-
    Last edited by Y0yo; 09-15-2005 at 01:29 PM.

Grasshoppa
    Train whenever the hell you want or find most convenient. If first thing in the morning, you'd at least want a protein shake in you.
    Shao-LiN
    "I tried so hard and got so far, but in the end, it doesn't even matter." - Linkin Park