The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

anyone notice a correlation between acne / lifting?

i swear that when i begin training routines, from being sedentary, i get breakouts. This became very clear the last time i stopped training, whihc was pretty recent (a couple months ago), and my acne cleared very very well.

So... I just started like a week ago, and already a large breakout. Is this from testosterone levels increasing? Maybe the high glycemic weight gainer? The extra protein? i know it's not the extra sweating or anything, because even when i'm not in a routine, i still box / skate.

any light soemoen can shed woudl be appreciated, because this drives me nuts.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    probably all of the above. Mainly the testerone level increases I would think.

Yeah I hear people talk about this often. I think it's hard to pinpoint the exact reason why the acne coincides with lifting but it could be from the oily sweat on your body, the testosterone increase, the extra protein, or maybe even the stress that comes from working your body really hard.

I myself haven't had problems with it, in fact I find that creates a convenient "wake up, shower, do stuff, lift, shower, do some stuff, and then sleep" cycle that works weel to keep the oily skin under control. I swear this is something I think about a lot more than others but in general I don't like the idea of showering twice a day if I never break a sweat or the idea of showering too often. From what I've heard your body increases the oil it puts on your skin when you do that which can cause problems.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Are you working out w/ gel or anything in your hair? I'm an obsessive compulsive neat freak so I do (or use to) and suffered breakouts cus of it. I now lift w/ very f*cked up natural messy hair, and no breakouts. Also, when you sweat, do you WHIPE the sweat off your face? DON'T! only pat-dry your face, this goes for after shower too, ANYTIME, never wipe it dry, something about it whiping away some shiz thats on your skin that keeps it from breaking out or some crud. Anywho, I stopped wiping my face dry and havent had any breakouts since. Hopefully those tips help a lil.

yeah AzBboy that's what I'm talking about. Usually people just blame the oil and sweat for breakouts but it's more like the tampering of the oil and sweat on your skin that causes breakouts. Some breakouts are unavoidable though.

To answer your question I go to the gym with hair that looks like I just woke up. I don't worry too much about looking good at the gym cuz I look good enough when I do have my hair in check outside of the gym. You look good when you're putting up good weight anyway. I usually don't sweat that much but I usually only wipe the sweat off my forehead and brow if it is causing problems otherwise I just let it chill.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I think it's the testoserone increase is to blame. Just think...when do you get acne? Puberty. That's when your test is raging--that's why they say not to do 'roids 'til you're 22 or so.

I'm 35 and have been taking Fenotest lately, and I have experienced more surface anomalies (slight acne). So I think the test is to blame.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Wannabebig New Member
    I'm in the same boat, roughly as you. I started lifting this year and I've noticed a little acne on my shoulders and back, and a little bit on my upper legs now and then. The same thing happens when I'm outside a lot and sweating. For me, my pores get clogged with some dirt and sweat and it can break out sometimes. Thankfully nothing that is too noticeable or wide-spread, but it sounds like the same thing to me.

Try newer fibers that wick sweat away from your skin and when you shower, use something to exfoliate every other day.

Quote Originally Posted by AzBboy
    Are you working out w/ gel or anything in your hair? I'm an obsessive compulsive neat freak so I do (or use to) and suffered breakouts cus of it. I now lift w/ very f*cked up natural messy hair, and no breakouts. Also, when you sweat, do you WHIPE the sweat off your face? DON'T! only pat-dry your face, this goes for after shower too, ANYTIME, never wipe it dry, something about it whiping away some shiz thats on your skin that keeps it from breaking out or some crud. Anywho, I stopped wiping my face dry and havent had any breakouts since. Hopefully those tips help a lil.
    i don't wear gel or stuff, well not typically anyways, *but* i can remember wiping my face a lot last sunday night when i was lifting (i took noxplode and was dumping sweat ...). maybe that's it, i'll try to focus on not touching my face anymore, it's hard to remembef in the middle of a workout

Quote Originally Posted by aeastwic
    Try newer fibers that wick sweat away from your skin and when you shower, use something to exfoliate every other day.
    just curious - why not daily (that's what i do now, but i think it's a weak exfoliator)?

Banned
    I had the same problem at first, but once my body got used to the workouts it went away. Now my skin is actually perfectly clear most of the time. It wasn't before. This is probably because I get all the vitamins I need and drink loads of water.

Just try to shower asap after a workout. If you're really worried about it, then eliminate caffeine intake as it does make acne worse. Getting some sun can clear it up too for most people.

the kid from oz
    i have the same problem, i just bought some exfoliant, a clenser and some oil free moisturisor, hah! now im all lovely and smooth

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jazer80
    just curious - why not daily (that's what i do now, but i think it's a weak exfoliator)?
    I wax my shoulders and upper back and the first time I was told by the person who did it that every other day was better for average or sensitive skin, it might irritate otherwise, so I usually pass that advise along. If your skin can handle it, every day is good but some people many people will be irritated daily.

I find that getting a couple days of good sun exposure and drinking plenty of water (1+ gallon a day) will remove or significantly improve most acne.

Quote Originally Posted by spencerjrus
    I find that getting a couple days of good sun exposure and drinking plenty of water (1+ gallon a day) will remove or significantly improve most acne.
    only temporarily... sunlight typically increases acne outbreaks, due to the skin irritation. it definitely makes it better short term tho. Water does help acne, as does diet. some people will swear up and down that diet has nothing to do with it, but it absolutely does.
    Last edited by jazer80; 09-21-2005 at 04:59 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    i don't wear gel or stuff, well not typically anyways, *but* i can remember wiping my face a lot last sunday night when i was lifting (i took noxplode and was dumping sweat ...). maybe that's it, i'll try to focus on not touching my face anymore, it's hard to remembef in the middle of a workout
    Try dabbing instead of rubbing. Rubbing can irritate the skin. You could also splash some water on your face during or after the workout to help get rid of the sweat before it dries on your face.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't exfoliating every day dry out the skin. I guess if you have a good moisturizer handy, it doesn't have to.
    "It's all about the diet. If you eat like crap, expect to look that way."

DeaTH BeFoRe WeaKNeSs sCaRz*Of*PaiN's Avatar
    Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't exfoliating every day dry out the skin. I guess if you have a good moisturizer handy, it doesn't have to.
    Yeah, exfoliating products can dry out the skin, which is why I use non-comedogenic creams afterwards like Cetaphil. I use ProActiv and that stuff keeps my skin clear, but it has a tendency to dry out my skin, but the cream negates all dryness effects.
    "The only easy day was yesterday."

Wannabebig New Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sCaRz*Of*PaiN
    Yeah, exfoliating products can dry out the skin, which is why I use non-comedogenic creams afterwards like Cetaphil. I use ProActiv and that stuff keeps my skin clear, but it has a tendency to dry out my skin, but the cream negates all dryness effects.
    I recently bought a mitten for the shower that is made out of a what is almost rough rope. I had acne on my upper legs and shoulders and after using the mitten a few times it cleared right up. It doesnt dry out my skin either, but i've never really had dry skin to begin with. I also dont have to go to the store to buy any exfoliating creams