Thread: Lifts to Increase Hip Power?

Lifts to Increase Hip Power?

Alright guys, and gals. I've got a question for all the brilliant minds of WBB. I'm really starting to focus on getting the most out of Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, and I want to start training for some tournaments towards the beginning to middle of the next year. One of the biggest things in BJJ is hip power and I'm trying to figure out a couple of lifts that would greatly strengthen my hip power. I'm going to do these lifts twice a week on top of an upperbody day that I've already got planned out. The only thing, is that these lifts can't be Olympic lifts, as the gyms I have access to don't allow these type of lifts. Everybody's opinions about lifts as well as rep ranges/set numbers would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Fuck, fight, or hold the light.

In no particular order:
    squats, deadlifts, kneeling squats, glute-ham raise, wide stance good mornings, bulgarian split squats, lunges, reverse hyperextensions, romanian deadlifts/stiff legged deadlifts, side lunges, pull-throughs, one-legged deadlifts

HAHA yea, I had a pretty good idea of a large list of specific lifts that would help hip strength. I should have specified that I was looking more for the top 3 that everybody felt help produce the largest increase in hip strength. Thanks tho.

I don't think anyone would argue against plain old squats and deadlifts, but if I was working with martial artists, I would probably also do some kind of lunge/split squat and maybe one-legged deadlifts.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Squats, Deadlifts, Good Mornings, Lunges.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-17-2005 at 12:37 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

I was def. thinking squats and deads. I've heard some people recommend rack deadlifts with the bar sitting several inches below my knees. Any thoughts on this?

While I'm no expert on BJJ, I think squats and deadlifts should cover most or all of your lower body strength needs.

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubrock
    I was def. thinking squats and deads. I've heard some people recommend rack deadlifts with the bar sitting several inches below my knees. Any thoughts on this?
    deadlifts, gm's ....

7 inches below your knees is practically on the floor already.

he said several not seven... but all the good exercises are pretty much covered.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

HAHA yea Steven come on now bro, pay attention. Just kiddin man. So everybody thinks squats, deadlifts, rack pulls and maybe some gms thrown in for good measure??

A steady diet of heavy lunges and an explosive exercise like power cleans (along with deads and squats) will surely give you the desired effect you're looking for.