The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

My STRENGTH Really Hasnt Increased.. ?

I was thinking about it and over the course of the entire time I have been working out, my strength really hasnt increased that much. I mean gradually yes, but I dont get it. I have probably worked out around 5-6 years now, and my strength hasnt gone up THAT much since I started. I mean it has like gradually over the course of time dont get me wrong, but no HUGE spurts of growth. I feel like my size has really increased though. I have been using pretty low reps (6-8) for a long time and maybe this has something to do with it..

Just thought about it and why I am not up-to-par strength wise as some of you guys.. I think I am pretty much up-to-par size wise though I mean now I am weighing 230 lbs. standing 5'10-11" .. I would be a shredded 205-210 lbs. Hopefully which is where Ill be by this Spring.. it just doesnt make too much sense to me where I am at strength wise. Chest for example I can handle the 100s on flat presses, which is really easy weight compared to some of you guys.. and some of you are smaller than me which makes it even more impressive. Also for pull-ups I can only do 6-8 at my current bodyweight. I dont know whatsup with that!

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

First, don't always believe what you read on a message board. You can't see their form, so you really don't know how you compare.

100'sx6-8 flat bench is great. You are a bit bigger than I, but I think my PR using 100's was 8 reps.

Also, your size and strength won't correlate with others. For example, Latman's 1RM lifts are about what mine are, but I outweigh him by 50-60 pounds. From a PLing perspecitve, that sucks for me. From a bodybuilding perspective, that's fine, assuming I'm not a foot taller than he is.

Don't worry so much about what others say they can do, worry about what you can do, and get better at it.

Slow strength gains are the name of the game... you didn't start out using 100 pounders, did you?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

yeah, and also MS, weren't you using pretty shoddy training techniques? like the Arnold 40-sets-per-muscle-fibre method?
    "Geordie/'d3c:di/n. & adj. Brit colloq. n. 1 a native of Tyneside. 2 the dialect spoken on Tyneside. adj. of or relating to Tyneside, its people, or its dialect. [the name George + -IE]

No doubt. Training is fun to play with, but you gots to stay between the lines when you color.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yeah haha thats the truth.. I hadnt even thought of that.. I trained with such high-volume it was unbelievable. Probably 25-35 total sets per bodypart. Training 6 days per week, hammering each muscle group into the ground. Thats hard to believe that I acutally believed that really worked. Its funny cause when I go to the gym now Im there like 30 minutes and the other guys that are still there 2 hours doing 50 total sets per bodypart ask me what I am thinking training with so little sets etc.

I only do 4 total sets for bis and tris, and 8 total for chest and back, which is like a quarter of what theyre doing. Haha..

**** 'em. You got yours. They gotta get theirs.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Is there a way to really increase your strength on wide-grip front chins? Because I feel like I used to be a lot stronger on them back when I weighed less and trained high volume! Haha..

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Try adding weight for some sets. If you can't do a lot of reps, you can try doing some negative chins. Pretty soon you should be able to do reps with a 45. Also, do them first on that day if you aren't already.

Remember also, that if your main goal is strength, than your routine should focus on that. If your main goal is bodybuilding, then just make sure you do some heavy lifts in there otherwise you prolly won't see a big jump in strength.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

I think I'm in the same boat. I HAVE increased my lifts quite a bit; but I don't feel that I have done the best that I could. There have been many set backs.

Like Paul said; don't believe everything you read on the message boards. Because I sure don't.

Try changing routine up. Gyno Rhino and myself live in the same area friends for years and we do a routine about twice a year and we call it "freak week." For a week we throw out every conventional rule of lifting and make-up some weird ass exercises using the heaviest weight possible. We try to throw our bodies waaayyy of guard and wake them up then start new routines. Oh yeah everyone needs to wish Gyno a get well. He's having some problems, not sure quite what they are.

Gaglione Strength Chris Rodgers's Avatar
    Get well Gyno, hope it's nothing serious.
    Best Meet Lifts(Raw w/wraps):
    @165- 435 SQ 270 BE 560 DL.....1255 total
    @181- 515 SQ 295 BE 570 DL.....1375 total
    Best Meet Lifts(Multi-ply):
    @148- 575 SQ 315 BE 515 DL.....1400 total
    @165- 680 SQ 380 BE 540 DL.....1555 total
    @181- 700 SQ 375 BE 535 DL.....1605 total
    Best Gym Lifts(Raw w/wraps)
    515 SQ 302.5 BE 585 DL

I guess he might be feeling better I called him earlier today and he was working out.