Page 2 of 23 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: 15 lbs of muscle in ONE MONTH!!!

"Primarily" is a misleading word, indeed. Not intentional, having observed Chris for a couple years now, but misleading, nonetheless.

8 lbs. of lean mass out of 15 lbs. gained is more like "majority". When I think of the word "primarily"....and I'm not going to cheat and look it up.....I think "90%", or 19 out of 20, or something like that. But that's me, and we've experienced different educations and behavioral environments.

It's too bad, because now people are focusing on the weight gain figure and the word "primarily", instead of how awesome this routine would be for a newb....or even an experienced lifter, even if only for 6-8 weeks.
    "We could put his leg in a vice-grip, but you & I together couldn't twist his ankle enough to sprain it"
    - Jerry Glanville discussing Barry Sanders

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    If they added 15 lbs the first month, what would be a reasonable expectation for how much they would add the second month? 12? What about the 3rd? 10? That would be over 100 lbs in a year, which seems highly unlikely.
    After 6-8 months of correct lifting and dieting they would no longer be the person he's describing in his post. It's not going to work for everyone. However, for someone that has never lifted, or lifted correctly, and has never eaten right I think it's easily possible.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by SpecialK
    I think a new trainee would have to have exceptional genetics to add 15 lbs. of pure muscle in 1 month.

If they added 15 lbs the first month, what would be a reasonable expectation for how much they would add the second month? 12? What about the 3rd? 10? That would be over 100 lbs in a year, which seems highly unlikely.

I don't think that routine itself is anything new and ground breaking. It's good, but personally I think any routine based off of compound movements that doesn't involve anything too illogical (i.e working chest 4 times a week or something) combined with a diet that doesn't suck will yield similar results.

My $.02

Lol, arrrrgggghhhrrr!!!!!

Look, NOTHING about how one should train or eat in order to gain weight is new! It has all been known for more years than anyone on this site has been alive!

The point of the article/post is to inform those who are unaware and to remind those who have forgotten.

I really can't believe some of the posts people are making in this thread.

If those who are questioning the 15 lbs in one month went back and read what I stated very carefully I never said they would gain 15 lbs of pure muscle. I said 15 lbs of PRIMARILY lean muscle.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

I agree completely with everything chris has said here. Key word - PRIMARILY. I've been there, i've done it. He's right.

I just don't understand why some people are freaking out about this.
    Last edited by pinky8713; 09-18-2005 at 04:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Majestic
    "Primarily" is a misleading word, indeed. Not intentional, having observed Chris for a couple years now, but misleading, nonetheless.

8 lbs. of lean mass out of 15 lbs. gained is more like "majority". When I think of the word "primarily"....and I'm not going to cheat and look it up.....I think "90%", or 19 out of 20, or something like that. But that's me, and we've experienced different educations and behavioral environments.

It's too bad, because now people are focusing on the weight gain figure and the word "primarily", instead of how awesome this routine would be for a newb....or even an experienced lifter, even if only for 6-8 weeks.
    I am glad YOU get it.

When one writes an article and wants individuals to follow the instructions given the reader MUST be motivated and inspired by the text.

If I methodically spelled out all of the variables and possible results from the program the reader would be BORED not motivated.

I KNOW there are literally millions of young men out there who would love to add both size and strength and are struggling to do so. If they follow the instructions in the article/thread they will realize their goals. It is that simple.

For those of you who think it is not a viable routine etc. I suggest you give it a try.

For those of you freaking out about the 15 lbs claim, RELAX! It is a literary tool and you are not taking it in the manner it was meant to be understood.

Chris

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    This thread is geared primarily to those who are either relatively new to training or have been doing it all wrong since they have been training.
    Bump for Daniel.
    Facebook - BW166 SQ585 BP405 DL660 CL310

Chris used the title mainly to grab your attention and get you excited. It's good advice that he has offered, you debunk his claims while you haven't even tried it.

You got me motivated Chris and I thank you! time to eat some goddamn FOOD

Quote Originally Posted by Anthony
    Bump for Daniel.
    Lol, that really made me laugh out loud!

Quote Originally Posted by Davor
    Chris used the title mainly to grab your attention and get you excited. It's good advice that he has offered, you debunk his claims while you haven't even tried it.

You got me motivated Chris and I thank you! time to eat some goddamn FOOD
    Thanks Davor!

WBB Member
    Lol, arrrrgggghhhrrr!!!!!

Look, NOTHING about how one should train or eat in order to gain weight is new! It has all been known for more years than anyone on this site has been alive!

The point of the article/post is to inform those who are unaware and to remind those who have forgotten.

I really can't believe some of the posts people are making in this thread.

If those who are questioning the 15 lbs in one month went back and read what I stated very carefully I never said they would gain 15 lbs of pure muscle. I said 15 lbs of PRIMARILY lean muscle.
    Point taken. I must have crappy genetics then, because it took me about 9 months (from when I first started) to gain my first 15 lbs. of primarily LBM.

And I was following a routine similar to that one, although I must admit I did not know about fitday during that time, and just focused on eating "good" foods, and didn't count cals. I did get 6 meals/day, though.
    Last edited by SpecialK; 09-18-2005 at 06:20 PM.

Banned
    chris, i think the main thing is that most of us do this routine anyway! sure we add some stuff to it, like me, for isolation or what have you, but in general i am doing a more elaborate version of this routine as it is, and trust me, im not gaining 15 lbs a month :P

of course i dont eat as much as i should but thats due to limited college resources

bone crusher
    ok let me chime in here and add my 2 bits for everyone who is freaking out

what chris is saying (and coorrect me if i am wrong) is that a new trainee who striclty follows his plan will gain his maximum mass potential in one month - which could be up to 15 lbs of quality mass. It is not that complicated. Even a more experienced trainee will gain from this, not as much, but since such a trainee is nearer his potential the gains will be attenuated by this fact

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    chris, i think the main thing is that most of us do this routine anyway! sure we add some stuff to it, like me, for isolation or what have you, but in general i am doing a more elaborate version of this routine as it is, and trust me, im not gaining 15 lbs a month :P

of course i dont eat as much as i should but thats due to limited college resources
    I like this post. This routine is really similar to much of what I and numerous other people do; the exception being just a few added exercises.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

a) Doc is correct.

b) The routine will work very nicely for most trainees. To add exercises to it is counterproductive (for most) and that may be why some of you do a "similar" routine and don't make great progress.

Are there other routines which would work just as well? Sure!

I will say this, if you don't train with that EXACT routine and are not making much progress why not give it a try and see what happens? I am confident you will be happy you did so long as you eat and supplement as advised.

I am trying to HELP you. TRY IT AND REPORT BACK YOUR RESULTS.

One last point. OBVIOUSLY, YOU WILL NOT CONTINUE TO GAIN AT THE SAME RATE EVERY MONTH. THIS IS A SWITCH ROUTINE WHICH WILL RESULT IS GREAT PROGRESS WHEN FIRST TRIED AND SHOULD ALSO RESULT IN VERY NICE LONG TERM PROGRESS.

Banned
    a) Doc is correct.

b) The routine will work very nicely for most trainees. To add exercises to it is counterproductive (for most) and that may be why some of you do a "similar" routine and don't make great progress.

Are there other routines which would work just as well? Sure!

I will say this, if you don't train with that EXACT routine and are not making much progress why not give it a try and see what happens? I am confident you will be happy you did so long as you eat and supplement as advised.

I am trying to HELP you. TRY IT AND REPORT BACK YOUR RESULTS.

how is adding exercises to target specific muscles that get only minor workouts during major compounds counterproductive? doing this exact routine plus preacher curls and tricep pushdowns isnt going to negatively affect how good my squat is going or what have you..

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    how is adding exercises to target specific muscles that get only minor workouts during major compounds counterproductive? doing this exact routine plus preacher curls and tricep pushdowns isnt going to negatively affect how good my squat is going or what have you..

It could affect your arms, which would negatively impact on your chest and back workouts. Your arms already get worked heavily in the routine. To add extra work to them MAY push you over the edge. To give an personal example I gained nearly two inches on my arms, when I stopped doing direct arm work and focused on heavy chest and back movements. I should note here that while I now do some arm work, it is greatly reduced from what I used to do.

Your arms are being worked three days a week on this schedule. To add extra work or put in an arm day may be too much for the average person.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 09-18-2005 at 10:54 PM.

hammin'
    This sounds mostly like a free advertising scheme to me.....
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

riprogrammazione
    Quote Originally Posted by trich daddy
    This sounds PRIMARILY like a free advertising scheme to me.....
    Yeah, if I were to use similar products from another company, would my gains be hindered?

You guys are unbelievable.. So whats wrong if they wanna make a living at the same time when they provide us with all that honest real-life proven advice? Sure, anybody can claim they can do a "similar" routine or have similar "results", but do they have the credibility and experience of Chris Mason? I seriously doubt it. As for the 15lbs lean mass in a month I admit its an optimal theoretical figure, but something very close to this CAN happen with compound exercises and lots of calories. I've been there more than than once, trust me.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    Yeah, if I were to use similar products from another company, would my gains be hindered?
    Absolutely. The only product you could not replace would be ETS as no one else sells the same product. That said, the routine combined with the diet, protein, and creatine will also yield very nice results for most trainees.

Quote Originally Posted by Dimitri
    You guys are unbelievable.. So whats wrong if they wanna make a living at the same time when they provide us with all that honest real-life proven advice? Sure, anybody can claim they can do a "similar" routine or have similar "results", but do they have the credibility and experience of Chris Mason? I seriously doubt it. As for the 15lbs lean mass in a month I admit its an optimal theoretical figure, but something very close to this CAN happen with compound exercises and lots of calories. I've been there more than than once, trust me.
    Thank you.

i call bull****
    delete this account

Do that voodoo that he do
    What cracks me up are the demographics of this thread. Most everyone who is arguing against Chris is 15-18 and has almost no training experience. The ones who are backing him up in general are those with some training know-how and experience.

Are you going to rock out 15 pounds on this diet and workout scheme? Maybe yes, maybe no. If you do it right you'll probably gain a lot more than most routines out there.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

I feel like I say this every day, although I know I don't.

Quit harping on the freaking details. The point of Chris' post is that someone who is fairly inexperienced can gain lots of muscle very quickly (and, frankly, many who are fairly experienced can as well) by eating lots of good food, taking in the right amount of protein (which usually means a supplement), using creatine, and training using very basic lifts, taking that training to or very close to your limit.

Don't like dips? Bench. Want to do a row? Fine.

Eat a lot, train your ass off, keep it simple, get big.

Have none of you read Keys to Progress?
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.