The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    What cracks me up are the demographics of this thread. Most everyone who is arguing against Chris is 15-18 and has almost no training experience. The ones who are backing him up in general are those with some training know-how and experience.

Are you going to rock out 15 pounds on this diet and workout scheme? Maybe yes, maybe no. If you do it right you'll probably gain a lot more than most routines out there.

Quite the opposite. It seems that everyone is stepping down to this bull **** article because the writer is well respected on this forum. Had any other normal person written this article, all of you would have jumped all over his ass. The title clearly says 15 lbs of lean muscle in one month. It aint going to happen.

Then the argument shifted to 'primarily' lean muscle. Fact is, those who disagree are respectfully disagreeing, and quickly changing their minds as soon as chris writes something to counter them in this thread.
    Fact is, it's a bull**** misleading article. If you want to censor this, go ahead.

Eat and eat and eat and... ThatSkinnyGuy's Avatar
    Meh, make this a sticky so the 'wanna-be-big-without-knowing-anything' internet kiddies have something to start with.
    It turns out the answer to every question is still deadlift and eat.

riprogrammazione
    Quote Originally Posted by Borris
    What cracks me up are the demographics of this thread. Most everyone who is arguing against Chris is 15-18 and has almost no training experience. The ones who are backing him up in general are those with some training know-how and experience.

Are you going to rock out 15 pounds on this diet and workout scheme? Maybe yes, maybe no. If you do it right you'll probably gain a lot more than most routines out there.
    I'm not at all against what chris said. 15lbs pure muscle is a bit of a stretch IMHO. The ones backing him up are veterans(friends)who know him, really. I was just commenting on the gratuitous plugging of his products.

The weight routine looks good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bravo
    I'm not at all against what chris said. 15lbs pure muscle is a bit of a stretch IMHO. The ones backing him up are veterans(friends)who know him, really. I was just commenting on the gratuitous plugging of his products.

The weight routine looks good.

I don't want any part of the argument, but I'd just like to point out (and wondered if you'd noticed) that this is AtLarge Nutritions forum and website. As in, they own it, and use it to distribute and advertise their products. I'm not sure why some people are so suprised when posts like this are made - his "plugging" of his products is far from gratuitous in this case.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

I'm going to tell you guys something that is 100% true and whether you like it or not, you can take away what you will.

When I was 18 I decided to start working out seriously. I was about 160 and I read everything I could and stumbled upon these very principles from a website called cyberpump.com. How did I apply them? Very similar, but slight differences that I don't feel were important to my gains.

I upped my calories by a huge amount. I ate quality proteins and a lot more fats than normal. I have a few food logs from back then showing 1700 calorie breakfasts.

My routine was simple and although I tried to go to failure, I was really going to 1-2 reps pre-failure. I did mainly worksets of 8-12 reps, which again was of no consequence.

Example routine:
    A -
    Breathing Squats: 1x20
    Weighted Dips: 1x8-12
    DB Rows: 1x8-12
    Pullovers: 1x8-12
    Weighted Pullups: 1x8-12

B -
    Breathing Deadlifts: 1x20 [alternate week]
    Weighted Dips: 1x8-12
    DB Rows: 1x8-12
    Pullovers: 1x8-12
    Weighted Pullups: 1x8-12

The results? After a month I was in the 170's. Another month, 185. I didn't care much about muscle vs. fat gain, but my strength exploded and people were commenting on my size.

Where did I go wrong? I quit due to a mistake I made, which resulted in a back injury. A few years later I got obsessed with being lean (for various reasons), so I never quite repeated this effort. I did manage to bulk from 150 to 190 a few years back, but the core difference was in my routine. I still ate lots of quality food and kept pushing my limits.

Bottom line - it works. I gained appreciable muscle and the fat gain wasn't too big of a deal. If you don't want to try it, don't. We shouldn't give a **** about your goals, right?

I know the point had been made hundreds of times but it needs to be repeated here:
    Getting big is about 75% diet, 20% lifting, and 5% everything else. After eating a ton of calories and a suitable amount of protein, and lifting heavy, everything else is a marginal optimization that results in efficiencies of cost, convenience, and performance.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

I don't know Chris personally -- heck, I consider myself a fringe acquaintance -- but I do know that I gained over 40 lbs. from a year and a half of working out; check my journal. I weighed 139 in December 2003 and am now 188 (as of last week). I have gained fat along the way; this is indisputable.

In mid-2004 (August I believe), I began using Nitrean and in the past month have only begun using ETS. My gains may not have been as spectacular as those of Chase or of Justin's but they are not insignificant in my overall progression. The routine that I follow is a slightly modified version of WBB #1; my diet is roughly around 3500 to 4000 calories a day; on average, sleep is about 7 to 8 hours a night; and I have continued to make gains. For instance, in the past month, I've managed to gain 5 lbs., along with corresponding strength increases.

There are differences such as age (I'm 34), body type (I'm an ectomorph) and certain health conditions which may have had an adverse effect on gains; however, gaining 15 lbs. of lean muscle in a month is not beyond the boundaries of possibility, given my experience.

I'm not entirely surprised by the negativity which surrounds this thread. This IS the Internet, of course.

Stash
    Last edited by Focused70; 09-19-2005 at 08:57 AM.
    me: so this is the "pump" you speak of
    me: I could never figure out what people were talking about
    Relentless: like an all over body hardon, yeah

Food log

The Focused Chronicles

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Stagg
    Eat a lot, train your ass off, keep it simple, get big.

About as basic as it gets and pretty much all you need to know for gaining weight.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

If Atlarge is looking for someone to put this thread to the "test", hook me up with a month supply of the listed supps. I'll eat minimum of 4kcals/day for 31 days and use the routine specified.
    I went from 179.0-186.8 in the last 4 weeks. (3kcals/day)
    There is no doubt in my mind that I could have doubled that gain if I had been going balls out and increased my cal in-take by 500-1k/day.

So when should I expect my supplements?

Actually, that's not a bad idea Chris - you need a guinea pig to 'test' your theory on. Use a beginner subject, get baseline measurements, then track the progress in a journal type format. Control for diet, supplements, etc. Then you can publish it, thus adding it to all the other quality research out there.

DJ

For those that have negatively responded to Chris's post, you really should be ashamed of yourselves.

There is a very big difference between constructively commenting on something you disagree with and responding negatively to something. Some posts here simply amaze me.

Do you realize the time Chris spends posting here to help people?

Do you realize the time Chris spends helping people via pm?

Do you realize the emails Chris answers from customers helping them?

And for those that feel funny about references to AtLarge Nutrition in a forum post that was written to help others...

Do you realize the lengths that other companies go to so they can get as much money from people as possible that we simply avoid on an ethical basis?

Do you realize that AtLarge Nutrition pays for the articles on Wannabebig, it pays for the server to run Wannabebig?

Do you realize me and Chris put in excess of 20 hours a week into AtLarge Nutrition/Wannabebig outside of working high pressured jobs that normally require 50 hours a week+?

You know, I really hate making this stuff visible, its not my intention to get any type of thanks for putting time into WBB, but when I see people acting so negatively to someone that’s only trying to help, it just frustrates me.

jeeez, if all you got from this article was that in the grand scheme of things you should not overly focus on the details, and just get in the damn gym, train hard, eat well, take some basic supplements, well… it has served its purpose.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

and with that, I am off to the gym
    Last edited by Joe Black; 09-19-2005 at 11:30 AM.
    http://www.wannabebig.com/logo/alnlogo_black.gif

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements – Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Hypertrophy Cluster Training - HCT-12 - If you want big gains in size and strength, huge decreases in body fat, or both - check out HCT-12.

Can I have some lean muscle & strength please? – My Training Journal

Chris doesnt make bull**** posts, and although it seems very pluggish to me, he knows what he's doing. I advise non-believers to use the program and report back, but we all know that probably won't happen.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by spanky33
    Quite the opposite. It seems that everyone is stepping down to this bull **** article because the writer is well respected on this forum. Had any other normal person written this article, all of you would have jumped all over his ass. The title clearly says 15 lbs of lean muscle in one month. It aint going to happen.

Then the argument shifted to 'primarily' lean muscle. Fact is, those who disagree are respectfully disagreeing, and quickly changing their minds as soon as chris writes something to counter them in this thread.
    Fact is, it's a bull**** misleading article. If you want to censor this, go ahead.
    Lol, WTF?? Read the article bright boy, I said primarily lean muscle right from the get-go IN THE ARTICLE.

It is not misleading, you just don't have the balls to do it.

i'm with Dan 100% on this!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Spanky,

Your reading skills seem to be compromised. I suggest you reread the article Chris posted. His message is very clear and to the point.

For those that say it can't be done, prove Chris wrong. Otherwise the opinions shared in this thread have a limited value to the discussion at hand.
    Maki Fit Blog

At Large: Optimize Your Body | Dynamic Conditioning |
    My articles on Wannabebig

"Soli Deo Gloria"
    "Test all things; hold fast what is good.": 1 Thessalonians 5:21

"I do not understand what I do. For what I want to do I do not do, but what I hate I do. And if I do what I do not want to do, I agree that the law is good. As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me. I know that nothing good lives in me, that is, in my sinful nature. For I have the desire to do what is good, but I cannot carry it out. For what I do is not the good I want to do; no, the evil I do not want to do--this I keep on doing. Now if I do what I do not want to do, it is no longer I who do it, but it is sin living in me that does it.
    So I find this law at work: When I want to do good, evil is right there with me. For in my inner being I delight in God's law; but I see another law at work in the members of my body, waging war against the law of my mind and making me a prisoner of the law of sin at work within my members. What a wretched man I am! Who will rescue me from this body of death? Thanks be to God--through Jesus Christ our Lord!"
    Romans 7:14-25

"Judo is not about strength. Yet in the learning curve, all Judokas get strong. Only with time do you learn where to apply that strength."
    The Art of Judo

always hungry
    i believe its possible, ive just started a fresh bulk like 1 week ago. Im at my base weight + 1week of dieting. Ive bulked before with the longest of 5 weeks (end of last year into jan) before it breaking down with work and social commitments.

Im now part time work and can eat and train all i like up until next september when i go back to uni.
    So guess what?

Im making this year count, cos i wont get it again.

From my last bulk i gained 8lbs alone in my 1st three weeks, and due to being an ectomorph i just stay lean the whole time. My diet was failing for the last 2 weeks and i got up to about 11lbs in total for the whole 5 week period.
    So im positive with the same commitment i could get close to 15lbs by the 11th of october.

I just weighed myself now and im up by 4lbs (this is day 8 to be precise).
    So ill report back on the 11th oct and show what a starter can gain ok?

Quote Originally Posted by RBC13
    I believe he said 15 pounds of muscle in one month. Impossible. But 15 LBS of fat, water, and muscle=possible
    I weighed 130 lbs at the start of the summer. I decided that I was tired of being skinny (though one can argue that 145 is still skinny...go figure). I lifted everyday and swam everyday (I am a lifeguad so I figured that was as good cardio routine as any). Through eating properly and training every day I have acheived my goal of 145 lbs and have little to no fat on my body. This dude has created a good program and I have to say that it can work even without the supplements.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quite the opposite. It seems that everyone is stepping down to this bull **** article because the writer is well respected on this forum. .

Uhh, Mr. spanky33 there is a REASON (make that reasons) that the "writer is well respected" Mr Mason does not make bull**** posts. He has given a ton of good training and diet advice to people for a very long time
    Nor does he plug his products on every post. If he wants to make one or two posts about his products I see no reason why he shouldn't.

Another reason is what he preaches does work. Have you seen his bodybuilding pics? Freaking impressive IMO. And I don't say that about too many people on this board...or in real life for that matter.

Maybe,just maybe, you should sit back and think about WHY Mr. Mason is well respected and then post.

Alright, well I knew by posting what I did, I'd get smacked left and right. It's alright.

I would try this for myself, but I'm not a newb anymore. Regardless, I dont buy that anyone can put on half a pound of LBM a day. You guys can believe whatever you want.

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Regardless, I dont buy that anyone can put on half a pound of LBM a day. .

No one said this. Why are you attempting to mislead? He said "primarily" meaning mostly muscle. He never said it would ALL be muscle.
    Last edited by Songsangnim; 09-19-2005 at 09:36 PM.

The title of the thread is 15 lbs of muscle in one month. one month is 30-31 days.
    I'm done arguing

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    The title of the thread is 15 lbs of muscle in one month. one month is 30-31 days.
    I'm done arguing

Good for you. When you are caught digging a hole, don't make it any deeper.

He points out that the title was to draw attention. He then says it won't be ALL muscle. In other words he explains the title.

mmm... discipline
    I support the guy that has lats the size of mini-vans. Seriously, everyone arguing against his article could probably fit inside of them. Go chris.

That being said, I am currently starting my second bulking attempt. The first ended in sickness, procrastination, and weight loss. Initially though, I did gain 10 pounds in three weeks. I have things together much better now.

My routine bulking is not too unlike what chris posted; just lifting three days a week with a ****load of food. I believe I should be able gain a solid 15 of mostly muscle in 30 days. Anyone else game? Bulking Competition? Eh?
    Last edited by Spartan936; 09-19-2005 at 10:41 PM.

I'm done arguing
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    The title of this thread grabbed your attention, didn’t it?

You'd think a guy would have the right to advertise on his OWN website anyway. I think there's a reason that Chris is a respected member, and that's because he doesn't make bull**** posts.
    Height: 5'10
    Weight: 205