Thread: Bad leg + squats = no go?

Wannabebig Member

Bad leg + squats = no go?

NOTE: I DID do a search for this, but I didn't exactly find my answer, so please don't troll on me

Anyways. I have this DAMN knee/foot problem (always has been like this, as far as I know) where my knee and leg don't allign correctly. So, when I have my right foot pointing straight forward, when I bend my knee it doesn't go straight parallel, it kind of bend inward to the left. There is no pain or anything... but it does give way sometimes when I play ball...

So my question, would it be safe for me to do squats? BTW, I tried squats this week a few times...it is unusually weak compared to my friends...I bench 165 but squat only 160. My friend who takes squating seriously said that's not natural and my squats should be much stronger than bench..

I have never really had a problem with this knee/foot thing...so I'v never seen a doctor or anything for it...I just started noticing it more since I started working out...Any suggestions?
    Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Beastly
    Anyways. I have this DAMN knee/foot problem (always has been like this, as far as I know) where my knee and leg don't allign correctly. So, when I have my right foot pointing straight forward, when I bend my knee it doesn't go straight parallel, it kind of bend inward to the left. There is no pain or anything... but it does give way sometimes when I play ball...

So my question, would it be safe for me to do squats? BTW, I tried squats this week a few times...it is unusually weak compared to my friends...I bench 165 but squat only 160. My friend who takes squating seriously said that's not natural and my squats should be much stronger than bench..

I have never really had a problem with this knee/foot thing...so I'v never seen a doctor or anything for it...I just started noticing it more since I started working out...Any suggestions?
    Thank you.
    No way to know if it's "safe" or not - you'll have to determine that yourself (w. or without the help of doctor).

I'm just guessing, but your right side might have hip/hamstring strength and/or flexibility issues. This can cause your body to drift in the direction of your good leg while you are decending into the hole as well as cause your leg to bow inward.

Wannabebig Member
    Thanks, maybe i'll see my doc about it.

How about what my friend told me about my squats being stronger than my bench? Is this true?

Also, would wearing a kneebrace help steabilze my knee a bit more?

go see a doc before attempting heavy sqauts. if you havent seen a doctor about this problem before, do it immediately.

and yes, people can go heavier on squats compared to bench. the thighs are the most powerful muscle group on a human body...unless you have horrible genetics (which is unusual). i suggest going light just to warm up your quads and get them started for future reference.

kneebrace...it could help. i heard of knee wraps as well. i use neither so i really have no exp with them.

and hows your stance on squat? maybe its going inward cause your feet are wide? i have my feet shoulder width apart with feet slightly outward
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 09-18-2005 at 12:37 AM.

Wannabebig Member
    I have to go fairly wide (bit wider than shoulder width) with the stance. If I don't, the right knee bows inward too much and I have to go on my toes. That's not too safe....

My legs are similar. Nothing lines up at all, especially the left side. I find that if I plant my legs really wide with toes out I can pull it off in some semblence of good form. Like the stance an olympic squatter uses. Note that I can't really pile a lot of weight on... about 240 parallel or 140 atf... and I don't really feel squats in my quads regardless of how much I pile on. Whether that is stance related or not I don't know.
    The Reconstruction Project (Journal)

Age: 34, Height: 5'4, Weight: 185, BF: somewhere between 15 and 45%

Weightlifting Start Date: July 26, 2005 - Bench 95 x 6, Dead 110 x 8, Smith Squat 180 x 8
    Bests: Bench 185 x 8, Dead 400 x 1, Zercher Squat 295 x 3

Stop thinking and go lift - Paul Stagg