Thread: Hamstring injury and upcoming gym sessions - a couple of questions.

Wannabebig Member

Hamstring injury and upcoming gym sessions - a couple of questions.

Just yesterday I was in the middle of some HIIT sprints and I came up lame because I tweaked my right hamstring. It's not directly on the back of my leg, sort of on the back but closer to the knee and the outside of my leg.

Anyway, I'm obviously pissed and discouraged. I have a some gym sessions coming up on M, W and F and I have a couple of questions about what I should and should not do.

Monday I'll be doing the following:
    Benchpress
    Low incline DB Benchpress
    Dips
    Pull ups
    Deadlift
    BB row

Wednesday I'll be doing:
    Front squat
    Hack Squat
    Leg curl
    SLDL
    Calf raises

Friday shouldn't matter since it's a delt, tri, bi day.

So what should I drop or modify if my hammy is tweaked? I don't think it's a pull, I see no swelling bruising or anything. The pain during movement is minimized since I've got it wrapped right now.

Hangul

Take out dealifts for today, as while it might be only "tweaked" now, it could get a whole lot worse should you decide to ignore it and "pull" or "tear" it.

If its feeling fine by wednesday, try doing a light set of your leg exercises and work your way up slowly to make sure it is fully healed. If its not feeling fine, I really wouldn't work legs as there's not much in there that's not going to further hurt it. In one week of the gym you get very little change, so its not really worth further injurying yourself and being out for a longer period of time.
    LaLa

Wannabebig Member
    Damn.

Are there any alternatives do deads that you can suggest? Something that will give me a decent pump in the back in lieu of the deads?

Hangul

You shouldn't be doing deadlifts or barbell rows. Period. Unless you're dumb and you want to hurt your hamstring more.

Plus, you should not be doing deads to get a back "pump."

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Wannabebig Member
    Sorry I should've used a better term.

I'm not looking for a pump. What I'm looking for is a substitute for deads and bb rows since my hamstring is injured. Today is my chest and back day and I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by Hangul
    Sorry I should've used a better term.

I'm not looking for a pump. What I'm looking for is a substitute for deads and bb rows since my hamstring is injured. Today is my chest and back day and I'd appreciate the help.

Thanks,
    Honestly, I'd lay off anything that involved standing to support heavy weight. Some substitutes:

Chins/Pullups
    Weighted Chins/Pullups
    DB Rows (performed on a bench)
    Pullovers
    Lat Pulldowns (shoulder grip or narrower)
    Rows (closegrip, vgrip, shoulder grip)
    Last edited by MM; 09-19-2005 at 12:57 PM.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Honestly, I'd lay off anything that involved standing to support heavy weight. Some substitutes:

Chins/Pullups
    Weighted Chins/Pullups
    DB Rows (performed on a bench)
    Pullovers
    Lat Pulldowns (shoulder grip or narrower)
    Rows (closegrip, vgrip, shoulder grip)
    I'd suggest about the same. I'd lay off anything that the hamstring will need to support.
    LaLa

Definately take some time to recover (at least a week or two) and come back at it gradually.

I had a hamstring issue that has turned into a nagging hamstring-glute-lower back issue because I was too stupid to give myself enough time to heal.