The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Its no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

People finally noticing that you "work out". Does that get anyone else motivated?

Not that I really care what others think about me, but to hear someone just come out and make a comment about how strong I look or how I am built like a _______ whatever is pretty motivating. I was thinking about cheating on my diet because I was feeling unmotivated and like I was getting nowhere. I guess I am doing something right if people are starting to take notice though

What are some other things that motivate you guys? I have to buy the pumping iron DVD again since I let my friend borrow my VHS and he lost it.. That movie always got me motivated too.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

my constant progress motivates me
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

I like seeing, or feeling, the personal changes in my body. I notice that I feel better, and have more energy when I've been consistant with my diet and lifting. Feeling healthy is a great motivator for me to keep on doing what I'm doing. Comments are nice, but they're not what keeps me going.
    Best way to cheat on deadlifts...

Stand there for a few minutes, then pace back and forth a lot, huff and puff, wait until everybody's looking. Approach the bar. Back off. Approach it again. Back off. Get some water. Chalk up. Approach the bar again. Then spray some more chalk around. Wait until people start losing interest. When nobody's looking, pick it a little off the floor, and slam it down. Jump up and yell "LIGHT WEIGHT BABY". Then give high fives all around. - Belial

I have too much body fat for anyone to notice I work out yet lol. Soon though, soon they will notice! Either that or I will just randomly start challenging everyone to an arm wrestle.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Quote Originally Posted by Wannabelean
    Not that I really care what others think about me
    That's a lie. Everyone cares about what others think of them, it's just a matter of how much they care.

I definitely agree that it is a motivator, strength and size gains are good motivators too. Honestly those 3 things are probably my top 3 motivators.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

its always great to hear someone say "damn your getting big!!" especially if you have been busting your ass in the gym.

hell yeah, it does motivate me indeed. But thats not the main reason why I workout, I dont work out for other people, my motivation rises to the top when I look into the mirror and see that there is a positive change
    Currently cutting

Gains in the weight room = Gains in the bedroom

The gains in the weight room are motivation enough...but when my fiance' wants to jump my bones every night...BONUS.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    I think it's cool when people tell me that I am really strong. Not that I'm that strong though...yet!
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-14-2005 at 03:00 PM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Competition motivates me. With myself, I like what I see, but know I can improve. With others at the gym, trying to lift better and more than the guy next to you or become as strong as the dude you think is huge. That is what motivates me.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Banned
    1. For me - constant progress is gratifying
    2. For my son - good role model
    3. Girls - absolutely, no doubt about it.

I'd say the attention from females has just about doubled since I started lifting consistently that's the best motivator.

Other than that, seeing people staring at me at the gym while I'm lifting is great. Not that I lift tons of weight, but the fact that I'm working so hard seems to shock people

I like looking someone in the eyes and having them look away intimidated cause of big traps :evillaugh lol
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    Seeing all the football players at my gym become considerably less cocky, and put their shirts back on when i walk in motivates me :P

J/K actually, I just like how I look, for me.. But whatever motivates ya to keep going man, is definitely a good thing.
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Fix, you're the type of guy that when I was in high school even I wouldn't f*ck with. Especially considering your age and weight...
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Fix, you're the type of guy that when I was in high school even I wouldn't f*ck with. Especially considering your age and weight...
    Haha, thanks. I am one of the stronger ones in my grade, but I want to be THE STRONGEST! Hehe.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Haha, thanks. I am one of the stronger ones in my grade, but I want to be THE STRONGEST! Hehe.
    i'm sure you already are fix! it's good to see a 15 yr old take lifting seriously!

i wish i started at that age
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Nah, there are some pretty huge doods in varsity football who could easily outlift me...in bench press for sure lol. Because that's probably all they focus on.

Heh, that's what everyone says, but I wish I starter earlier too. I guess when I get older I'll come to realize that starting at 15 is pretty good.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-14-2005 at 04:30 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Like just about everyone, I find other peoples' comments to a definite morale boost. But I also think it's important to find your primary motivation from within yourself. If a month goes by without anyone complimenting your physique or progress, should that bother you? HELL NO!!!! If you KNOW you're lifting more weight, you can SEE the results yourself in the mirror, MEASURE the growth in your muscles/reduction in fat, and FEEL how your clothes fit differently, then use that info to keep you going.

Hey Fix how about your grade? You've GOTTA be the strongest in your grade.

When I was 15 I could probably only bench like 195 or 200.
    My little brother is 16 and is a f*ck up and can only bench like 165 at the most. I wish I could beat it into his head that lifting is the sh!t.
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

I must say that I do enjoy if people note my size and or strength.

My wife gave me compliment many years ago when I was about 250 lbs. I remember her comparing me to a gorilla because of my back. That was cool!

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

Wannabebig Member
    People noticing that I have been working out is definitely one of my #1 motivators, along with overall health, improved athleticism, and more girls!

Frankly, I'm sick of hearing people make comments about my body/arms/whatever.

Yeah, no ****, I work out. Get over it.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Success Nourishes Hope Shankerr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chris mason
    I remember her comparing me to a gorilla because of my back. That was cool!
    People compare me to a gorilla mostly because I'm hairy Not nearly as cool
    Let me get this straight...
    You get play from the girl of your dreams
    PR Shoulder Press using the 3 digit dumbells
    Hit up some fun with the guys
    Then get more play
    (all in one afternoon/evening I might add.. S)
    You are a success my friend . Share your secrets. (Crippy)

rookiebldr says:
    As for the weight gain, that too shouldn't be a problem, just tell them your leaning out. Then flex your bi and tell them to ****ing get lost.
    Shane says:
    yeah or throw something at them
    rookiebldr says:
    like a couple of 45's

Let me rephrase. I like it when someone who works out compliments me on my body and the shape I'm in. I dislike it when slobs/weaklings/whomever "compliments" me, but in reality it's obvious that they resent it. Maybe it's because I'm hearing it constantly at school right now, but bleh.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Hey Fix how about your grade? You've GOTTA be the strongest in your grade.

When I was 15 I could probably only bench like 195 or 200.
    My little brother is 16 and is a f*ck up and can only bench like 165 at the most. I wish I could beat it into his head that lifting is the sh!t.
    lol...I can only bench 165 too.

In my grade, I'm willing to bet that my total of the big three is the biggest compared to others. But I know there are people who can bench bigger than me.
    Lifting Journal