Thread: Jump rope for cardio?

Jump rope for cardio?

Does anyone do it? I've been thinking about doing that for earlier morning cardio instead of running. It's gonna be getting cold soon and I've got just the right height in my apartment to be able to do it.

Yeah it should work as long as your apartment height is correct.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

very good form of cardio just make sure you choose a proper jump rope!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

There's a boxing school near my place, and I see all the big guys jump rope (I'm sure they do more than that) but I'm wondering if there's any added benifit to it compared to running or other forms of cardio. Or is cardio just cardio, getting your heart rate up.
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    very good form of cardio just make sure you choose a proper jump rope!
    Sorry...you beat me to the post. I was almost afraid to ask wondering if it was a stupid question (Are there good jump ropes and bad?) Obviously there must be. Is there anything in particular I should look for or stay away from.
    Last edited by Y0yo; 09-20-2005 at 02:37 AM.

Last edited by getfit; 09-20-2005 at 02:35 AM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Beat me again...thanks!!

the kid from oz
    i know it gives you massive hops!

Wannabebig Member
    I use a gold gyms jump rope, it does the job for me. This is a good way of doing cardio because as you jump up and down, part of ur lower abs get a indirect work out aswell.
    Bench: 100 Kilo 1 rep
    Deadlift: 125 Kilo 1 reps
    Squat: 150 Kilo 1 rep ATF

Goal: Get more lean mass and get stronger!!

Quote Originally Posted by Y0yo
    Sorry...you beat me to the post. I was almost afraid to ask wondering if it was a stupid question (Are there good jump ropes and bad?) Obviously there must be. Is there anything in particular I should look for or stay away from.
    I've been jumping/skipping rope for my cardio about 3.5 years now, 3-5x/week x 35 min wearing extra weight. Used a lot of different ropes, and I can recommend a few things.

Avoid nylon ropes. They are the slowest. Beaded nylon ropes are good for doing tricks, but that's about it.

Ball bearing handles aren't great. They can sometimes be pretty quick, but you have a lot less control over changing the speed. So if the rope hits the bottom of your feet and slows down, you're more likely to end up tripping.

Leather ropes are expensive, and you don't get much for the extra money. Sure, it's made of leather, but the handles are usually ball bearing, and leather snaps just like plastic does.

Best value are the speed ropes without ball bearing handles. They're relatively cheap and are typically the fastest while offering the best speed control. Durability isn't an issue for most people who skip rope, especially if you're just starting and don't know how long you'll be keeping up with it.

The brands of speed ropes that I've used are the Bally's, Everlast, and Nordic Track. Bally's used to be good, lasting about 4 months, but the last few I've tried snapped (at the handles) after a couple weeks, so I don't bother with using them anymore. The best was Everlast, lasting 6 months. Currently using a Nordic Track speed rope, 3 months and counting.

I've heard things about the Boa rope, but for that price, you'd need to know that you're going to keep on using it and that it's reasonably durable. A good speed rope is typically <$8 Cdn.

Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    www.fitfaq.com/jumping-rope-benefits.html

...Effective

Jumping rope can burn up to 1000 calories per hour, making it one of the most efficient workouts possible. It tones muscles in the entire body, developing long, lean muscles in all major muscle groups, both upper and lower.
    1000 calories per hour? Awesome. WHOA?!? It also tones muscle groups, badass! I can't wait to try out this superior toning exercise!

Jump roping seems like awesome cardio, I'll probably end up buying one of those boa ropes when I start cutting and give it a shot. Let us know how your cardio exploration goes, if you like jumping rope, what kinda rope you end up getting, etc. Good luck man.
    Last edited by Nosaj; 09-20-2005 at 08:56 AM.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

When I got my speed bag, it also came with a jump rope and I thought "aw what the hell, ill try it out" and to my suprise, I got a very good cardio workout in a short period of time. Ive always hated running, just because it was so damned boring, and I dont have time to get to the rink anymore and skate, so I needed a new cardio workout, and now Ive found one.

I'm gonna get a rope tomorrow. I started cutting last week, and I don't want to run anymore. It is very boring, even with the music blarring in your ears. I'll let everyone know how it goes...thanks for the input!!

remember to get a good rope-speed rope would be the best bet!

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Since this is my first attempt at jumping rope, it's gonne be all experimental...but I'm definitely gonna give it a shot. I'll update in a week or two and let people know how it goes, what I got and everything.

Start out small. Like 4-5 one minute intervals. When I first started I could barely walk the next day because of how sore my calfs were lol. JMO

-Tim