The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

It’s no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Currently Small

Right arm SIGNIFICANTLY stronger than left.

I noticed today while doing some bench press excercises that when I'm in my 3rd or 4th set, that I struggle doing 10 reps or so because my left arm...more or less the whole left side of my body is WAY weaker than my right side. What are ways to even out the strengths so that they're both around the same?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Get stronger overall and you'll even it out eventually.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Banned
    fixation, everyone says that, but im sorry to tell you its not very true, people that have gone through it would know what i mean

i didnt say its completely false, however you need to do an extra rep or two with that left arm when you think you cant, cut your right arm short if your left stops or else you will just make it worse, work each arm seperately, if you do compound ones then the right will be doing more of the work, do as many exercises seperately that you can, etc etc, just use common sense basically!

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Doing an extra rep with one side won't do **** to be honest. If you really want to focus on evening it out, do all your stuff unilaterally, stopping once the weaker side fails.
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexican
    I noticed today while doing some bench press excercises that when I'm in my 3rd or 4th set, that I struggle doing 10 reps or so because my left arm...more or less the whole left side of my body is WAY weaker than my right side. What are ways to even out the strengths so that they're both around the same?

keep working with a spotter, eventually they'll even out. it's weird I go through spurts where my one side randomly gets weaker but then goes back to normal.

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie
    fixation, everyone says that, but im sorry to tell you its not very true, people that have gone through it would know what i mean

i didnt say its completely false, however you need to do an extra rep or two with that left arm when you think you cant, cut your right arm short if your left stops or else you will just make it worse, work each arm seperately, if you do compound ones then the right will be doing more of the work, do as many exercises seperately that you can, etc etc, just use common sense basically!
    If you do compound lifts, both sides do the same amount of work. The stronger side isn't being pushed as hard as the weaker side, therefore the weaker side grows while the stronger side isn't growing as much. It will even out.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Supreme Champ
    yeah i agree with fixation
    Currently Age 16 5'10 158.5lbs
    10km run:43min

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." -Big George Foreman

"He has everything a boxer needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."-Blackie Sherrod

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    If you do compound lifts, both sides do the same amount of work. The stronger side isn't being pushed as hard as the weaker side, therefore the weaker side grows while the stronger side isn't growing as much. It will even out.
    If you have a lot more ability with your right hand, you'll tend to use it more. Same thing for the legs in fact, altough the dominance is usually not as great.

My right side is much stronger than my left and they've never evened out.
    I think the explanation to this is the difference in dominance between the two arms. I can't correctly throw a ball with my left arm to save my life.

I wonder if that difference lies in differences between the two brain hemispheres, and could be thus be linked to some personality traits. "The associated left brain hemisphere that is said to be more active in right-handed people, has been found to be correlated with linguistic and logical skill."

"As an inborn trait ambidexterity is rare, though it can be learned." I would hypothized that the best way to even out the body strenght and musculature would be through learning to be ambidextrous, rather than adding "1 rep or 2" for the weaker side or doing exercises with dumbells.

Throwing a ball doesn't have to do with strength...it's coordination.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-18-2005 at 10:04 PM.
    Lifting Journal

Matt04
    Quote Originally Posted by Sexican
    do DB bench and stop when your left arm fails.

I believe they will eventually even out. Both my sides are of equal strength now on all lifts without having done anything special. The exception is curls; I did do an extra set of DB curls with my left arm until it caught up to my right, but I don't think that was really necessary. I don't even do curls anymore anyways.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

Quote Originally Posted by greathuskie

i agrree that you should work both side seperately via DBs or Cable. But i would have to disagree on doing one side more than the other. If you're doing curl or cable pulldown or row, tricep pressdown, or pretty much any exercise that you can perform one side at a time, start with the weaker side first. Whatever the rep your weaker side fails at, do that same amount for the dominant side. that's pretty much common sense.

And another thing.. stop masturbating.

Banned
    in my specific case, and it was pretty bad, when i was doing say skullcrushers, or curling a bar and not dumbbells, or anything of the such, there was a great difference between the amount of work each arm did, and i dont really know how else to explain it other then, it just did :P (not movements like bench press or military press, though there was slight leaning they both do the same amount of work to get the bar up and flat, its almost as if in doing skullcrushers lets say that my right arm will do more of the work to get the bar up, and my left will just straighten it out at the top)

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Doing an extra rep with one side won't do **** to be honest. If you really want to focus on evening it out, do all your stuff unilaterally, stopping once the weaker side fails.
    Excellent advise.

Wannabebig Member
    I have exactly the same problem. My body parts are freaky, none are the same size or same amount of strength. For example, my RIGHT bicep, tricep and pec is stronger than the left side. My LEFT pec, shoulder and leg is stronger than the right side.
    I have tried to work each part seperately using dumbells but it is still uneven. I dont think they will ever even out, and i been tying for quite a while now.
    Bench: 100 Kilo 1 rep
    Deadlift: 125 Kilo 1 reps
    Squat: 150 Kilo 1 rep ATF

Goal: Get more lean mass and get stronger!!

Toughest Man in the World Bruise Brubaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Throwing a ball doesn't have to do with strength...it's coordination.
    I was trying to say that there is a relation between strength and coordination...

Wannabebig Member
    wack it with the other arm

i used to have the same problem

takes some getting used to

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    :withstupi I've had this problem every once in a while. Best thing to do is just keep lifting the same way you normally would except switch some stuff with BBs for DBs. Eventually it becomes more even (to the point where it really just doesn't matter).
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

Supreme Champ
    Quote Originally Posted by tvta
    wack it with the other arm

i used to have the same problem

takes some getting used to
    hahahaahaha
    so true
    Currently Age 16 5'10 158.5lbs
    10km run:43min

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." -Big George Foreman

"He has everything a boxer needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."-Blackie Sherrod

Wannabebig Member
    You noticed this during bench? I think you're first mistake is looking at it as a weakness. The first thing you need to realize is that if one arm is going up first and completing the rep while the other is left behind.. then your form is not correct. Back off the weight for a few weeks where both arms can completely lock out the rep. Once your form is correct and you're confident, then move the weights up. If not I believe you will continue to have this problem. **IMO**