The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Indecisive

Indecisive

Alright. I cant decide what to do. It might be a bit long, but I really need help deciding. I cant decide between cutting and trying to put on some more mass. Right now, I am 5'11 230, and about 21-22% bf. I know the bf is high but hear me out, then help me decide. I am leaning more towards bulking because of the following reasons. 1) the school year is starting, and since its fall quarter, it provides me with a nice 15 week span( quarter of school plus week before and 3 weeks of break) of really trying to put on some solid muscle mass and get my lifts up. 2) My lifts are pathetic and without eating enough, I just dont see them going up a significant amount. 3) I've had a shoulder problem last summer, and it really hampered me the past year, although I was able to lose some a good amount of fat. Now, I just think it would be good to get the mass on there and really work on getting things solid in my shoulders 4) my arms are pathetic for my size, and I'd really like to get those larger ( which requires putting on mass)
    But, despite all this, I do realise that i am a little high on the bf. so it may be good to just cut to a lower bf percentage, but it just seems as though it would be a good time to pack on the mass for 15 weeks, and then cutting up until summer ( about 25 weeks ). Let me know what you guys think about these ideas, and if need be, in a couple of days I can get my digital cam out and get pictures if it helps. Thanks for your comments

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Thanks for that link built

Good article...helped me with my EPA/DHA question I was gonna ask...
    If my calculations are correct SLINKY + ESCULATOR = EVERLASTING FUN
    Steroid Info Click Here
    The Truth About Steroids (Video) Click Here
    Rules for Women to Follow (Video) Click Here

I'd say cut. If you are 21-22%BF at 230lbs, that means that you have roughly 180lbs of LBM. That's not bad for someone your height. I think if you lost some fat, you would be much more pleased with the size of your muscles.
    quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur

also, if you're already iffy about bulking, once your belly starts sticking out more from all that food, you'll start to question your decision, and you'll be doing a half-assed bulk because of your guilt. I say cut until you're comfortable with putting on more fat, but ultimately it's your decision

How different do you think the results would have been for someone on supplements? That is excluding steroids...
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Thanks everyone for your help. I have decided that I am going to cut to 205-210 ( depending on how I feel when I get to 210 ), while minimizing all lbm loss. Thanks for all your input, and Built, thanks a lot for your link, that actually made my decision easier. I'll have to take some before and after pics and start up a journal to keep you all updated on my progress.

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    How different do you think the results would have been for someone on supplements? That is excluding steroids...

None.

great article built
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

If you are new to lifting and new to paying attention to your diet, you can make strides in both directions, IMO.

Train to get bigger and stronger, using a basic routine with compound lifts.

Clean up your diet. Just paying more attention to what you eat, eating more fruits and veggies, upping your protein, and eliminating junk, and you will be just fine.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig Member
    i agree...just clean up your diet for now and just lift heavy. Once you have a good routine down then you can think about lowering your caloric intake a little.

Thanks for all the replies. I am not really new to lifting, although I would say I am newer to lifting seriously. So, hopefully I can get some good gains in both directions. We will see though. Thanks for all your suggestions, and I'll get my journal going soon to keep the updates comin. Thanks again.