Thread: I heard some popping during my shrugs.

Wannabebig Member

I heard some popping during my shrugs.

I was doing shrugs today. I was using 80 dumbells and on the first shrug I heard these popping sounds during my first shrug. Everyone of course looked over to me. I'm only 134lbs but I thought this wasn't too much. No more sounds came after that initial one but at that point I was already the center of attention. I managed to finish after that 3x8. No pain or anything. But people were kind of talking about me (behind my back) as if I didn't know what I was doing (like I'm a newbie to weigh lifting and that you shouldn't ever do what I was doing). I didn't see anything wrong. Granted I was doing burst shrugs rather than slow ones but still. It got the job done and I wasn't hurt so no harm no foul, right? I'm planning on staying at 80s until I feel like I'm ready to move up to 85s but do you guys think I should drop down to 75s, maybe even lower. I just don't want to look like a fool again because of some freak occurence.

It just sucks knowing because I'm smaller people think if I make one mistake that I'm doing it wrong and I'm the example of what you shouldn't do as oppossed to being larger and making a mistake and people thinking, "oh well. he had to have gotten bigger doing the right thing." You know what I mean.

as long you don't feel pain right now, i don't think it's anything major.
    Last edited by getfit; 09-24-2005 at 12:06 PM.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig Member
    Well, I'm not doing deads right now but I haven't done bench or squat either. I'm justing getting back into my routine after long break in the summer and since those are the three best and at the same time, most high risk excercises for injury I've been taking my time easing myself back into it. Probably by the end of next week I'll have eased myself back into doing the big 3 and hopefully be close to where I was before. So, as of now no deads but I know I need to do them. I know.

I wouldn't be wasting time on accessory movements when you're not bothering with the compounds.

It's not like you're going to start with 5 plates a side!

What's your routine like right now? Are you coming back from injuries? How old are you?

Wannabebig Member
    Mon/Thurs
    1x10 stretch/plate lift
    3x8 dumbell press
    3x8 shrugs
    3x8 dumbell bench
    3x8 dumbell curl
    2x8 dumbell lat raise
    2x10 dips
    2x10 pull downs

Tue/Fri
    2x10 leg curls
    2x10 leg lifts
    3x8 lunges
    1x10 front squat

Sun/
    Cardio

Wieght: 134 (down 10 from last regular training)
    No injuries.
    Last edited by Jase N'; 09-24-2005 at 12:50 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    But before the break I was doing WBB routine 1. Should I jump right back into that and do you think I'm using too much wieght.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Go back to WBB for a couple/three weeks.

Then move on to a new split.

My .02
    I think he should stay on it longer than 3 weeks. You only really need to switch it up when you stagnate, in my opinion. If you are making gains, why change?
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Quote Originally Posted by Jase N'
    I was doing shrugs today. I was using 80 dumbells and on the first shrug I heard these popping sounds during my first shrug. Everyone of course looked over to me. I'm only 134lbs but I thought this wasn't too much. No more sounds came after that initial one but at that point I was already the center of attention. I managed to finish after that 3x8. No pain or anything. But people were kind of talking about me (behind my back) as if I didn't know what I was doing (like I'm a newbie to weigh lifting and that you shouldn't ever do what I was doing). I didn't see anything wrong. Granted I was doing burst shrugs rather than slow ones but still. It got the job done and I wasn't hurt so no harm no foul, right? I'm planning on staying at 80s until I feel like I'm ready to move up to 85s but do you guys think I should drop down to 75s, maybe even lower. I just don't want to look like a fool again because of some freak occurence.

It just sucks knowing because I'm smaller people think if I make one mistake that I'm doing it wrong and I'm the example of what you shouldn't do as oppossed to being larger and making a mistake and people thinking, "oh well. he had to have gotten bigger doing the right thing." You know what I mean.

It sounds like you need to stop caring what other people think in the Gym.

Quote Originally Posted by Built
    Isn't wbb1 a whole-body workout?

I'm thinking he'll want to switch to a split after that point.
    No; it's a 3-day split.
    Last edited by dw06wu; 09-24-2005 at 01:22 PM.
    bests:
    bp 335x1 (unequipped), sq 430x5 belt, dl 475x1 sumo (unequipped)
    ----------------------------
    Cut: Start/250 Current/247
    Abs or bust: my journal
    ollld pics

Banned
    ^ and a good one to boot.

Okay - my bad. I just read the sticky with all the descriptions.

Yes, stick with it until you are no longer progressing.

Wannabebig Member
    So the consensus is that this is a one time thing (the sternum area cracking) and it won't happen again, right? Has this happened to anybody else? I'm still a little nervous that I may have done some damage even if there aren't any signs of such.
    Last edited by Jase N'; 09-24-2005 at 07:28 PM.

I feel popping when I do straight arm side raises. Doesn't hurt though. It Just feels odd.
    My Journal

Winners are simply people who are willing to do what losers won't.

If you are hurt, go to the doctors. It really doesn't get any simpler than that people.

Same. No pain, just sounds like crackling, sorta like crackiny your nuckles.... only it's your shoulders....

I *think* this is just the tendons/ligaments getting caught up on each other and kinda snapping. I seem to recall something about adhesions causing this, but ... well, of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. Maybe somebody has more on this. I don't think it's something to be concerned about, but again, check with somebody who isn't having a senior moment lol!

Banned
    Built's right; it's a ligament thing. I can't do standing side laterals because of this, but I can do leaning side laterals (one side at a time). Go figure.