Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Want HUGE traps!!!

Wannabebig New Member

Want HUGE traps!!!

What is the secret to getting huge traps like Bill Goldberg? I have been doin 3 sets of 10 dumbell shrugs 2 times a week with no results. Anything I can do to speed it up??

hardgaining ectomorph
    Going to need a little more info then that.

Age, weight, the rest of your routine, how long you've been working out, etc etc etc.
    I'm Dark, I'm Dan...I'm Darkdan
    Journal

Shrug with heavy weight.
    My journal

-As President of the loyal order of Curl Jockeys I hearby proclaim you top Curl Jockey. -ectx

Heavy shrugs, work on getting really strong with those.

and lots of food as well.
    "It is often said, mainly by the "no-contests", that although there is no positive evidence for the existence of God, nor is there evidence against his existence. So it is best to keep an open mind and be agnostic. At first sight that seems an unassailable position, at least in the weak sense of Pascal's wager. But on second thought it seems a cop-out, because the same could be said of Father Christmas and tooth fairies. There may be fairies at the bottom of the garden. There is no evidence for it, but you can't prove that there aren't any, so shouldn't we be agnostic with respect to fairies?"

Richard Dawkins

"Out of all of the sects in the world, we notice an uncanny coincidence: the overwhelming majority just happen to choose the one that their parents belong to. Not the sect that has the best evidence in its favour, the best miracles, the best moral code, the best cathedral, the best stained glass, the best music: when it comes to choosing from the smorgasbord of available religions, their potential virtues seem to count for nothing, compared to the matter of heredity. This is an unmistakable fact; nobody could seriously deny it. Yet people with full knowledge of the arbitrary nature of this heredity, somehow manage to go on believing in their religion, often with such fanaticism that they are prepared to murder people who follow a different one."

Richard Dawkins

"Bah. You know I hate poor people."

Paul Stagg

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    Deads wouldn't hurt either.

Olympic lift variations.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Eat a lot of meat.

Deadlift HEAVY

Shrug HEAVY (with a barbell). As heavy as you can. Use straps if you have to. If you can shrug 3x10 on anything, it's not heavy enough.

Get a neck harness. Work your neck.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:525 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

Quote Originally Posted by so2315
    What is the secret to getting huge traps like Bill Goldberg? I have been doin 3 sets of 10 dumbell shrugs 2 times a week with no results. Anything I can do to speed it up??
    Use bigger dumbells.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Deadlifts > Shrugs for trap development. Power Cleans and Push Presses seem to work wonders too.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

Wannabebig Member
    snatches

no one here likes them but upright rows ssshhh its a secret
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

Quote Originally Posted by bill
    LOL, funny but I agree.

-Tim

**** that- they screw your joints up. Do high pulls instead, and other oly lifts like others suggested, and some deads and maybe BB shrugs if you really need them.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

i shrugged a lot before i even started deadlifting, andwhen i started deadlifting the size of my traps was very noticable. i'd almost say i could even do without the shrugs and ONLY deadlift... deadlifts are king.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Get a lot bigger while lifting progressively heavier objects.

I havent done a trap specific exercise in over two years and my traps are mentioned by others far more than any other muscle. I've also put on around 50lbs in that time period.

Genetics always play a role, chances are your not going to have goldbergesque traps, but they will get bigger if you eat more and lift more.
    Diet is key, the calorie is king

"Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be."
    --Abraham Lincoln

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent.
    Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination
    alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'press on' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race."
    Calvin Coolidge (1872-1933)
    30th U.S. President

"If you want to look abnormal you have to eat abnormal,lol."--ST

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fixationdarknes
    Deadlifts > Shrugs for trap development.
    Uhhh, no.

HEAVY deadlifts
    HEAVY shrugs
    HEAVY grocery cart
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Olympic lifts would do more for your traps than any of the other exercises listed...
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Quote Originally Posted by DenimDemon
    **** that- they screw your joints up. Do high pulls instead, and other oly lifts like others suggested, and some deads and maybe BB shrugs if you really need them.
    So whats high pulls? I done them for 15-17 years and shoulders are ok
    Remember, to get big, you have to get strong. The two are interconnected. Lift heavy, work hard, and size will come. Like night follows day. It works. Arnold
    Do work son. Big Black (Rob and Big)

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    So whats high pulls?
    http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/.../HighPull.html
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

hammin'
    deadlifts, snatches, cleans
    periodization

every lifter i've ever seen do snatches and/or cleans has had pretty decent traps
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

power cleans work wonders
    I don't have time. I make time.

Quote Originally Posted by Canadian Crippler
    Uhhh, no.

HEAVY deadlifts
    HEAVY shrugs
    HEAVY grocery cart
    lol I like that. You're right.