The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5 times a week versus 3

It seems everywhere I read, people advise you do a 3 times a week routine. What, in that case, is the point of doing a 5 or 6 day a week routine, and working each muscle twice?
    I actually prefer working out more days a week, because as a student I have plenty of time, and like anyone on this board I enjoy the workout. I work each muscle group once every three days. I do about 6 sets for major muscle groups each workout, and three for smaller muscle groups like biceps (which is less sets than I would if I were working these muscles once a week).

eg:

Back and biceps

3 x 8 deadlifts
    3 x 8 pullups
    3 x 8 barbell curls

To me it makes more sense to spread 12 sets for a muscle groupover the week, rather than doing them all on one day. I don't have any eveidence to back that up with whatsoever, but I'm guessing that it would help keep nutrient flow to those muscles more consistent throughout the week.
    I have no idea actually, I just prefer more workouts.
    Does anyone have some advice?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Personally, I have cut back on my training because I was starting to feel overtrained. I was working out everyday with a rest day every five or six days, but it just wasen't enough rest. For a while I was only getting like 6-7 hours of sleep a night though, but I've fixed that and am currently on a 4 day rest and it feels GREAT. As long as you're eating well and resting well, I'd say just listen to you body as everyone gains differently. Lift big, eat big, sleep big... when your body is ready to workout again you'll know, rinse and repeat. There is no set equation or template for success, you just have to learn what works the best for you.
    Scars are tatoos with better stories.

I currently have no problems lifting 5-6 days a week.

January-April I'll probably be lifting 3x a week; because
    1) it is easier for me to work multiple bodyparts in one session when I'm bulking, and
    2) I'll be working ~80 hours a week and I won't have time to do 5-6 days.

In short, while your split is important, as long as you're busting your ass in the gym and eating properly, you'll still make gains.
    Last edited by shootermcgavin7; 09-20-2005 at 09:33 AM.

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    For me, the reasons I lift 3x a week are a few:

1. I don't have time to lift 5-6x a week, and if I did, it wouldn't necessarily give me better gains anyway.
    2. I train with a primary intent of gaining strength, and to do this, I like focusing on big heavy compound movements.
    3. When I'm focusing on heavy compound movements, I need lots of rest, and I'd be too spent lifting 5-6x a week. I personally don't see the need to do those assisstance exercises like tricep extensions, bicep curls, leg extensions, glute/ham raise, ect...but maybe that's because I'm still making some newb gains and the assisstance isn't at all necessary for me yet.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-20-2005 at 09:53 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

well ive gone for inbetween i used to do 5 but now do 4 the split is
    mon - chest/bi
    tues - rest
    wed - shoulders/abs
    thurs - back/triceps
    fri-rest
    sat - legs/forearms
    sun - rest
    my journal
    http://www.wannabebigforums.com/showthread.php?t=68545

weight 202 - (bf around 14%)
    PR's
    Bench - 286
    deadlift - new pr on the 23/12/06 190 kilo (430 pound)
    squat - 264 ATF

Goals

200 pound at 10% bf by next summer

my split is intense enough! i need a few days off a week!
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Well my split looks a bit like this:

Mon:
    Chest + Tris + Deads- 12 sets

Tues:
    Back + Bi-7 sets

Wed:
    Legs + Shoulders-12 sets

Thurs:
    Rest

Friday:
    Chest + Shoulders-10 sets

Saturday:
    Legs + Back-10 sets

Sunday-Rest

Looks a bit weird, but it's one of the best ways of training every muscle twice in one week with sufficient resting. The saturday leg session is lighter with higher volume. Whilst Tuesday's session isn't particularly demanding.
    I throw in abs when I feel like it.

The one thing that I noticed that surprised me about weightlifting is that pretty much everyone has a different split. Splits vary from person to person and for the same person can vary from week to week. I'm in college but can't weightlift every day so I make due with lifting 4x a week. If you can do 5 or 6x a week and you are seeing gains then keep on doing it.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Max
    It seems everywhere I read, people advise you do a 3 times a week routine. What, in that case, is the point of doing a 5 or 6 day a week routine, and working each muscle twice.....................

I do 5 day workouts. Used to do 6 but cut it down to 5. It's just about personal preference IMO. I feel that as long as I do only 1 hour per day, 5 days a week, I should be ok (which I have been). If I didn't have as much free time, then I would cut it down more. Some people do better with more or less.
    Burritos are the bomb for bulking!
    My Food Journal

PB's&Goals

Deadlift: PR 1@440, Goal 1@450
    Squat: PR 1@375, Goal 1@400
    Bench: PR 2@275, Goal 1@300

Banned
    Its just whatever works best for you. Trial and error.

3:16
    why double or nothing?
    why do you have to work your body parts either once or twice a week?

I trian a body part every 4 to 5 days. a 7 day week is for christanity and not bodybuilding or strength trianing.
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Amen to ^

Quote Originally Posted by body
    . a 7 day week is for christanity and not bodybuilding or strength trianing.
    One of the smartest, and yet most obvious, things I've heard on these boards, ever.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

One of the smartest, and yet most obvious, things I've heard on these boards, ever.
    :withstupi

Rock on with the prolific quotes!
    Squat...Eat...Sleep...Grow...Repeat

Supreme Champ
    i've been fine with 4-5 and after 3 weeks of that i take a 3 day rest and i feel magestic like a swan
    Currently Age 16 5'10 158.5lbs
    10km run:43min

"The referee is the most important man in the ring besides the two fighters." -Big George Foreman

"He has everything a boxer needs except speed, stamina, a punch, and ability to take punishment. In other words, he owns a pair of shorts."-Blackie Sherrod

I trian a body part every 4 to 5 days. a 7 day week is for christanity and not bodybuilding or strength trianing.
    Very clever. Buuuuut the seven day week is also what we structure our working and studying lives around, so structuring your workouts around seven days is most convenient.

Very clever. Buuuuut the seven day week is also what we structure our working and studying lives around, so structuring your workouts around seven days is most convenient.
    Yes, that's true for scheduling when sessions occur, but I fail to see how it determines what you do during your workout.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

but you can still simply do a rotation that doesn't HAVE to fall in a 7 day cycle. I think I'm gonna make mine an 8 day rotation, because I'm finding I'm just not fully recovered after 2 full days of rest.

what it all boils down to is what works for you. some people are god's and do well training twice a DAY! others gain mass with 3 workouts a week. If it works, just stick with it for 6-8 weeks, then change a few aspects of it and see if that works 'better'.

I've got three main workout days (on weeks when I'm not too lazy to do them), but can have 3-4 additional days of work in there depending on how I feel.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Yes, that's true for scheduling when sessions occur, but I fail to see how it determines what you do during your workout.
    It doesn't determine what you do in your workout, I was just pointing out that it is most convenient to schedule your workouts around a 7 day cycle.

but you can still simply do a rotation that doesn't HAVE to fall in a 7 day cycle. I think I'm gonna make mine an 8 day rotation, because I'm finding I'm just not fully recovered after 2 full days of rest.
    See the problem I have with this is that it shifts everything one day on the next week. The most crucial part is your rest days. I want my rest days to be on the same day each week, so I can organise other activities on those days. But to each his own.

Anyway the main reason I was concerned is that each time an expert lays down the basics of gaining mass, they always advise a three day a week split. To me this implies that a three day a week split is optimal for gaining mass. But I guess if you guys say that it's what works best for oneself, then I'll take your collective word for it.

My split looks like this

Monday-Lower
    Tuesday-Upper
    Wednesday-Off
    Thursday-Lower
    Friday-Upper
    Sat & Sun-Off

This works awesome for me. I think lifting any more than this wouldnt give my body enough rest time.
    20 years old
    6' 1"
    Current Weight:175 (10/28/08)
    Clean Bulk

See the problem I have with this is that it shifts everything one day on the next week. The most crucial part is your rest days. I want my rest days to be on the same day each week, so I can organise other activities on those days. But to each his own.

Anyway the main reason I was concerned is that each time an expert lays down the basics of gaining mass, they always advise a three day a week split. To me this implies that a three day a week split is optimal for gaining mass. But I guess if you guys say that it's what works best for oneself, then I'll take your collective word for it.

Are you sure it's a 3-day A WEEK split? Most everyone I know has a 3-day split, just implying that the entire body is worked over 3 days. The actual cycle is up to the individual. I prefer 3 on, 1-2 off, which is a 4-5 day cycle. You say that you want to squeeze everything into a 7 day cycle, so you will need to discover just how much your body can handle in 7 days. Nobody can tell you but you. Perhaps you do a 4 day split? perhaps you do two 2-day splits? Maybe do a 3-day split with one extra weak point training day? Just some ideas. There is NO optimal training program. To each his/her own.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

The one thing that I noticed that surprised me about weightlifting is that pretty much everyone has a different split. Splits vary from person to person and for the same person can vary from week to week. I'm in college but can't weightlift every day so I make due with lifting 4x a week. If you can do 5 or 6x a week and you are seeing gains then keep on doing it.
    Same here; 4 days a week works great

I either do:

Mon: chest/shoulders (sometimes make this leg day)
    Tue: legs (if Mon = legs than this will be chest/shoulder)---depends on how many asshats are in the gym waiting for benchs lol
    Wed: back + arms
    Thurs = off
    Fri: circuit

OR

Mon: chest/shoulders
    Tue: legs
    Wed: off
    Thurs: back + a little arm
    Fri: whatever I didn't get to lol

I prefer the first one because it's real disciplined; only if my week is jacked up for some reason will I do the second one.

--Dan.
    Last edited by DannyboyXJ; 09-21-2005 at 11:25 AM.

Are you sure it's a 3-day A WEEK split?
    Yeah I'm sure. Take the example of Chris Mason's recent post about gaining 15lbs in a month. He advised a 3 day a week split, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I'll stick with working each muscle twice a week for the time being.

Yeah I'm sure. Take the example of Chris Mason's recent post about gaining 15lbs in a month. He advised a 3 day a week split, Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

I'll stick with working each muscle twice a week for the time being.
    Hmm, sounds interesting.

Care to share what you general routine is for each day? How do you manage to get each muscle 3 days a week?