The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Am I Overtraining?

I do bench on wednesdays at school for like 3 sets of 8 with moderate weight( and that is all I do that day for benchpress).On Saturdays, I do flat barbell bench at my house for 5 sets of 5 with heavy weight, then I do 2 sets of 8 for incline and decline dumbell press, and then i do 2 sets of 8 with dips. Will this lead to overtraining doing this every week for my bench or will it work? (keep in mind I'm just talking about my bench right now, I also do squats and deadlifts on different days)
    Last edited by need4muscle; 09-24-2005 at 09:24 AM.
    bench: 290x1 (vid of 285 http://youtube.com/watch?v=NbXh7BKArxE )
    squat: 300X1
    deadlift: 420X1
    age 17
    5'9"
    175 lbs

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Moderate weight? What do you hope to accomplish from Wednesday's benching?
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

well our coach makes us do bench 1 day a week and its only for 3 sets of 8. doing that 1 time a week isnt enough is it?
    age 17
    5'9"
    175 lbs

eek... it's lil' Fixation! fixationdarknes's Avatar
    Well, it depends on what the rest of your split looks like.

For me, I bench (3 sets) every Wednesday, but I also do Dips (3 sets) every Monday, and Military Press (3 sets) every Friday. I'm assuming you aren't doingh full-body workouts, so in that case, you're right, 3 sets of benching isn't enough push work. I'd at least add in some Dips and maybe some Incline DB Benching or something. And since it seems that you're basically doing that on Saturday. So, if possible, make Wednesday a Speed Benching day. Use 50-60% of your 1RM weight, and do at least 10 sets of 3 reps.
    Last edited by fixationdarknes; 09-24-2005 at 11:17 AM.
    Lifting Journal
    Age: 20, Height: 5'7", Weight: 165, Deadlift: 405, 9.5" Squat: 230 x 10, Bench: 195 (3x5)

Quote Originally Posted by fatrb38
    I try to visualize that my girlfriend is under the weight and I have to push the weight up to save her. Of course it doesn't work and I just laugh as I think about the weight slowly crushing her bones. Then I remember it's me under the weight and give 200% effort to push it back up.

The question is: Is your chest strength/size improving? If it is improving you are not overtraining. If you just feel drained and can't move more weight/see size gains, then consider changing the routine.
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

thans man, because i think i ws overtraining. I do tricep work and military press also on other days so maybe 1 day is enough. I have been feeling nausious off and on for the past week, so i bet that has something to do with my overtraining. also today, I could barely bench 165x5
    age 17
    5'9"
    175 lbs

Just my $.02 - what you are doing is fine. At your young age, your CNS (central nervous system) will not become fried nearly as easily as us older folks (I'm 35) - b/c you are handling far less weight than some of us do, given our experience level. Typically, overtraining is the result of frying your CNS rather than frying your muscles.

I also currently do full body, 3xper week, doing flat one day, incline another, and dips another. However (I'm not recommending this, just telling you what I did), when I was your age, I was bench happy - I did 9x10, 3xper week - I did full body, and my workouts were clearly bench dominant - I did some rows, squats and the occasional dead, but mostly flat bench.

Now, my point is that my bench press numbers flew up, but at the expense of my legs and back, which were clearly lagging my chest. The bottom line is, I think at your age it will take alot more to overtrain your chest than you think, given the lower weights you are using - however, the most important thing, IMO, is to have proper balance.

What this means is that spend as much time on both your lower and upper back as you do your chest and legs - back, chest and legs are the three major muscle groups - if you spend equal time on each of them, you will have a great, proportional, and most important in high school sports, functional body.

Hope that helps.