The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

routine critique

I was wondering what you guys think of this routine for strength. I got most my ideas from the wbb routines. I am currently on wbb but feel i need more. I recover really fast so thats why i think a routine like this would work. I also make sure theirs atleast 48hrs rest before working the same body part again. Let me know what you guys think.

-------------------------------------------------
    ::mon:: chest + biceps
    chest-
    Flat Barbell Bench Press : 5 x 5
    Low Incline Bench Press : 5 x 5
    Dips : 2 x 8 reps

biceps-
    Barbell Curls : 4 x 6 reps
    Hammer Curls : 4 x 6 reps

::tues:: legs + shoulders
    legs-
    Squats : 4 x 6 reps
    Leg Curls : 4 x 6

shoulders-
    Military Press in Rack : 4 x 6 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 4 x 6 reps

wens: back + triceps
    back-
    Chin ups : 2 x 8 reps
    Deadlifts : 4 x 6 reps
    Barbell Rows : 4 x 6 reps
    Shrugs : 2 x 8 reps

triceps-
    Narrow Grip bench Press : 4 x 6 reps

::thurs:: chest + biceps
    chest-
    Flat Barbell Bench Press : 2 x 10
    Low Incline Bench Press : 2 x 10
    Dips : 2 x 8 reps

biceps-
    Barbell Curls : 2 x 10 reps
    Hammer Curls : 2 x 10 reps

::fri:: legs + shoulders
    legs-
    Squats : 2 x 10 reps
    Leg Curls : 2 x 10

shoulders-
    Military Press in Rack : 2 x 10 reps
    Seated Dumbbell Press : 2 x 10 reps

sat:back+triceps
    back-
    Chin ups : 2 x 8 reps
    Deadlifts : 2 x 10 reps
    Barbell Rows : 2 x 10 reps
    Shrugs : 2 x 8 reps

triceps-
    Narrow Grip bench Press : 4 x 6 reps

::sun:: off
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 09-27-2005 at 09:34 PM.
    Height: 6'
    Weight: 210

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

You need to do less.

That's also a lot of hammie work: squats, curls and SLDL!
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

ok, i took out the sldl's. other than that, do you think it is a good routine?

edit: another thing on fridays workout i could take out squats and put sldl's with curls. that way on one leg day i have squats and the other i have sldl's.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 09-27-2005 at 09:38 PM.

Are you going to work your calves? Legs look pretty stupid if they are huge up top and scrawny down low. Also, I would not workout 6 days in a row religiously. You are going to burn out no matter how driven you THINK you are. At very most, give yourself one day rest at the end of each split (i.e. workout 3 days, take a day off). Otherwise, your workout looks great, have fun!

Edit: You may be able to save some time to by moving your shrugs to your shoulder day. They really are more of a shoulder exercise than "back", IMO. Also, you are hitting Military Press and Shoulder Press...these are the same movements with different objects. Pick one and do it. If you want more, then toss in some lateral raises of some sort or upright rows.
    Last edited by Kiaran; 09-27-2005 at 09:44 PM.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    Are you going to work your calves? Legs look pretty stupid if they are huge up top and scrawny down low. Also, I would not workout 6 days in a row religiously. You are going to burn out no matter how driven you THINK you are. At very most, give yourself one day rest at the end of each split (i.e. workout 3 days, take a day off). Otherwise, your workout looks great, have fun!

Edit: You may be able to save some time to by moving your shrugs to your shoulder day. They really are more of a shoulder exercise than "back", IMO. Also, you are hitting Military Press and Shoulder Press...these are the same movements with different objects. Pick one and do it. If you want more, then toss in some lateral raises of some sort or upright rows.
    yeah, ill probably do like you said (3 days, day off, 3 days, day off etc). i will also make sure to throw in some calf raises for the calfs or substitute the curls for them on certain days. i was thinking ofalso switch the shrugs to shoulder day like you said, as i agree with you that it is more of a shoulder exercise. Im going to replace seated dumbbell presses with upright rows.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 09-27-2005 at 10:18 PM.

Remember, with a 3-on 1-off split, you will be doing different stuff on the same day each week. For example:

M-1, Tu-2, W-3, Th-off, F-1, Sa-2, Su-3, M-off, Tu-1, W-2, Th-3

You see how the first week you do routine 1 on Monday, but the next week you are doing it Tuesday. If you can keep track of all that, great. But I like to stuff the same days week to week.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

your hitting triceps every day.......

Quote Originally Posted by BG5150
    Remember, with a 3-on 1-off split, you will be doing different stuff on the same day each week. For example:

M-1, Tu-2, W-3, Th-off, F-1, Sa-2, Su-3, M-off, Tu-1, W-2, Th-3

You see how the first week you do routine 1 on Monday, but the next week you are doing it Tuesday. If you can keep track of all that, great. But I like to stuff the same days week to week.
    yeah that is the only problem i would have with that as i am just like you when it comes to liking stuff the same days week to week. And i dont think i could keep track of it lol. Ill just do the routine as i have it and see how it goes (with the changes you guys have helped me make). Another thing, i will probably be having more time on my hands as i may be getting home schooled here soon as the school i go to is a small town school and aint nice to the new guy (me) lol. Too many fights already this year (glad to say i havn't lost any here yet & havn't started any here either)... next one they are wanting to press charges. Anyways we'll see what happens. Thanks for the help guys.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 09-27-2005 at 10:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by levronefan
    your hitting triceps every day.......
    yeah but when i am hitting them with other body parts its not that bad on them. like with military press, hits them a little but not that bad. also will depend a lot on what kind of grips i use.

I think you are definitely overtraining your upper body, and vastly undertraining legs - and not allowing for sufficient recovery. What about one of the following routines:

upper/lower - if you are truly obsessed w/ hitting the gym every day, even though your CNS will rebel - I would suggest an upper/lower split - you could cycle back and forth between high sets, low reps and moderate sets, moderate reps - for example:

Sunday upper 6x4 flat bench paired w/ pronated grip bent-over barbell rows, 6x4 weighted dips paired w/ chins - if you want, some assistance work for triceps and biceps

Monday - lower - 5x8 squats and RDLs, 5x8 bulgarian split squats and good mornings

I would take Tues off, but again, if you want to hit the gym every day:

Tues upper 5x8 incline bench and pull-ups; 5x8 close-grips and bent-over rows supinated grip

Wed lower 7x4 conv deads and hanging pikes; 7x4 front squats and RDLs

Thursday off, then repeat beginning Friday

Dan, you are not overtraining if you don't feel like you are overtraining. Just take a day off after each split. It's not hard to keep track of. Try out your workout for a few weeks and if you are feeling totally drained, then cut it back a bit. Don't listen to the "triceps everyday speach." If you arms can take it, then go for it man. Arms recover fast and can take a beating.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

You need time for recovery. Doing shoulders the day after benching is rarely a good idea, in my opinion. Working your upperbody three days in a row is also not a good idea. Working your triceps three days in a row is also not a good idea.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiaran
    Don't listen to the "triceps everyday speach." If you arms can take it, then go for it man. Arms recover fast and can take a beating.
    Eh, I disagree. I think hitting triceps three days in a row is a little extreme. He's basically isolating them 2 out of 3 days; I think not doing tri's on the back day would lead to better gains and reduce the chance of burnout or injury.
    Don't hate the player. Hate the game.

Banned
    If I were you I wouldnt work shoulder day after chest because well ....ya know......That seems like a lot of work for one week too, but if you recover fast try it out. I wouldnt do it though

Quote Originally Posted by MM
    Eh, I disagree. I think hitting triceps three days in a row is a little extreme. He's basically isolating them 2 out of 3 days; I think not doing tri's on the back day would lead to better gains and reduce the chance of burnout or injury.

No, no I'm right damnit! I can prove it....eh....I got nothing.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs

i disagree too, 3 days in a row is too much imo, but hey, try it out and if it works for you, good, if not, then back off and try something else.
    Last edited by levronefan; 09-28-2005 at 02:58 PM.

thanks for all the advice guys. I might take off the direct tricep work on the back day like some of you said or do like Kiaran said and throw in a rest day after 3 days(even though it would be a little confusing tracking everything imo). I might also switch the shoulder day around. Best thing i can do though is try it and see how it goes i guess.
    Last edited by diesel_dan; 09-28-2005 at 03:57 PM.