The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Critique My First Real Routine!

Ok, So I comprised this myself. Please feel free to make suggestions.
    My main concern was my arms routine, should I keep all the BI and TRI back to back?
    Also, I work at my gym and I'm constantly wanting to lift and get a pump,this is causing me to overtrain. Thoughts on that? Anything I could do that would'nt hurt? I do forearm exercises sometimes.

Monday-Off

Tuesday-ARMS
    Close Grip Bench-10x10x10
    Barbell Curls-20x15x10x8
    Rope Pulldown Super Set- 3sets
    DB Hammer Curls-10x10x10
    Skull Crushers- 10x10x10
    Machine Concentration Curls(Burnout)-20x20x20

Wed-Off

Thursday-LEGS
    Squats-20x15x10x10x8
    Seated Calf Raise-20x15x10x10
    Leg Curls-20x15x10x10
    Leg Extensions-20x15x10x10
    Weighted Lunges(Burnout)-20x20x20

Friday-CHEST
    Flat Bench-20x15x10x8x6x4
    Incline DB-10x10x10
    Decline DB-10x10x10
    DB Flys-10x10x10x10
    DB Press(Burnout)-20x20x20

Saturday-BACK
    *GIVE ME SOMETHING*
    I have a decent back workout,but I want something stronger.

Sunday-SHOULDERS
    Side Lateral Raises-10x10x10x10
    Front Raises-10x10x10x10
    Miltary BB Press-10x10x10x10
    BB Shrugs-10x10x10x10
    BB Chin Raises-10x10x10x10

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

are you progressing?

if i was doing this routine i would be totally drained.
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Bodybuilding Mythbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by FighterInSnatch
    Ok, So I comprised this myself. Please feel free to make suggestions.
    My main concern was my arms routine, should I keep all the BI and TRI back to back?
    Also, I work at my gym and I'm constantly wanting to lift and get a pump,this is causing me to overtrain. Thoughts on that? Anything I could do that would'nt hurt? I do forearm exercises sometimes.

Monday-Off

Tuesday-ARMS
    Close Grip Bench-10x10x10
    Barbell Curls-20x15x10x8
    Rope Pulldown Super Set- 3sets
    DB Hammer Curls-10x10x10
    Skull Crushers- 10x10x10
    Machine Concentration Curls(Burnout)-20x20x20

Wed-Off

Thursday-LEGS
    Squats-20x15x10x10x8
    Seated Calf Raise-20x15x10x10
    Leg Curls-20x15x10x10
    Leg Extensions-20x15x10x10
    Weighted Lunges(Burnout)-20x20x20

Friday-CHEST
    Flat Bench-20x15x10x8x6x4
    Incline DB-10x10x10
    Decline DB-10x10x10
    DB Flys-10x10x10x10
    DB Press(Burnout)-20x20x20

Saturday-BACK
    *GIVE ME SOMETHING*
    I have a decent back workout,but I want something stronger.

Sunday-SHOULDERS
    Side Lateral Raises-10x10x10x10
    Front Raises-10x10x10x10
    Miltary BB Press-10x10x10x10
    BB Shrugs-10x10x10x10
    BB Chin Raises-10x10x10x10

Way too much work and far too many reps. Cut the volume and reps by half each. For Saturday try deadlifts 5 sets of 5 reps and then 3 sets of 8 for T-bar rows. Or 5 sets of 5 for chins and finish with 3 sets of 8-10 for v-bar pulldowns. Also take Wednesday and Sunday off. You have too many days grouped back-to-back. And go easy on shoulders. They get hit on arms day and chest day AND back day, why hit them FOUR times a week? But if you must, go with Military press and shrugs, maybe some rear delt work as well. But the amount of work you currently have for them (at least in my opinion) is just asking for a shoulder injury down the road.
    Anyway just my 2 cents.

Ok, I'll cut the volume down. The reason I want to do so much right now is because I'm currently on a "cycle" and I want to take advantage while I'm ON. Thanx

i know jack **** about gear. I'm just gonna bump this up, so you get some more replies, i'm interested in the amout of volume you can have while on gear. I'm sure it depends on the person but i would assume you could probably workout a fair bit mroe.
    Milk is the best Supplement

Well my friends think I'm ugly
    I got a masculine face - Tom Waits.

out of curiosity, how old are you?
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Ok, I'll cut the volume down. The reason I want to do so much right now is because I'm currently on a "cycle" and I want to take advantage while I'm ON. Thanx

Jesus man.. you're gonna do a cycle and you don't have your routine nailed down? How is your diet, is it consistent and 100% on point?

I wish you the best, but IMO you have much more potential you could reach natually before you look into anabolics.

That routine looks like too much volume, but I am speaking from a natural point of view. I have no idea how much (more) volume you can benefit from while on gear.

One general problem I see w/ that routine is you're working your legs 1 time a week and parts of your upper body (especially your triceps) 3 times.
    Last edited by Wierz; 09-30-2005 at 08:47 AM.
    My Progress Pics
    My WBB Journal

"So basically you're asking us how not to be a whiner?" - Anthony (aka funniest mofo here)

"Not to generalize, but most chicks put more emphasis on facial features instead of body. So if you're striking out, you're probably ugly." - Anthony (aka Funniest mofo here)

"This isn't a gay bodybuilding forum???" - Mrelwooddowd

Back:

Chins
    Deadlifts
    Pulldowns
    Hyperextensions
    Bentover BB row
    DB row
    Seated rows
    T-Bar row

Try www.exrx.net for others, and examples on how to do those above.
    There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.
    Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left.
    Are you eating while you are reading this? You should be... --hrdgain81
    Remember, kids, if you type well the Grammar Fairy will leave a quarter under your pillow. The Blue Book of Grammar and Punctuation

Well, the Blog's (finally) back (again!): Love and Hope and Sex and Dreams Feel free to stop by and comment.
    Here is my newly-created World of Warcraft Blog: BG's WoW Blog. Once again, feel free to stop by and comment.

Banned
    hah, how funny

you went straight to the roids before even having a workout
    i love it

Who said anything about roids? I'm not on anything of that nature. Im 20 years old 6'0@215. Thanx for the Back input.

Who said anything about roids? I'm not on anything of that nature. Im 20 years old 6'0@215. Thanx for the Back input.
    I'm currently on a "cycle"
    A cycle refers to steroids. I'd suggest clarifying what you meant.

what exactly are you cycling?

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Philippians 4:13
    Quote Originally Posted by getfit
    what exactly are you cycling?
    probably creatine. but why cycle that?

^ you don't, that's why i asked him what he was cycling.

gain 50lbs-Anthony

This is not about my cycle; This is about my routine. But just assume that I am on a gain mass cycle when correcting or critiquing my routine. I did have a routine planned out, I am just burned out on it and wanted to put one down on paper.

P.S. Sorry peeps, I'm not trying to be an ass. I'm just looking for some pointers as far as my routine.

Banned
    WBB #1 or 2, hell go to the routine forum

its not their for comedic purposes, its actually a good routine

hell look at chris mason's thread, while you wont get 15 lbs of muscle in a month (unless youre superman :P) it is a straightforward strength routine and will work very good

routine posts make me laugh, people try to overcomplicate things so damn much. pick up a weight, lift it, put it back down, pick it back up and lift it again. whooo not much more to "weightlifting" then that

You decide to go with that SD? If so you don't want to be doing as much volume as you planned out. Yes, it does take more to overtrain while using anabolics (SD is an anabolic btw) but that does not mean you can just go crazy and completely forget about overtraining... I just finished a 5day/week routine that worked pretty well for me (had to stop due to time constraints), it looked like this:

Mon-Chest
    3 sets BB BP 8/6/4
    2 sets DB inc BP 8/6
    2 sets DB dec BP 8/6

Tues-Back
    4 sets BB BO rows 10/8/6/4
    2 sets DB rows 8/6
    2 sets pullups 8/6

Wed-Legs
    5 sets Squats 12/10/8/6/4
    3-4 sets DL (depending on back pump) 8/6/4/3(?)
    1 set calf raises 12

Thurs-Shoulders
    2 sets BB shoulder press 8/6
    2 sets lateral raises 8/6
    2 sets Arnold Press 8/6

Fri-Bis/Tris
    2 sets OH tri ext. 8/6
    2 sets CGBP 8/6
    2 sets seated BB curl 8/6
    1 set seated Hammer curl 8

I had good results. For what it's worth...
    Weight:180lbs
    Height:5'9"
    Max Lifts:
    Bench Press-315x1
    Deadlift~415x1 (injured)
    Squat-505x1

Sometimes LESS IS MORE

This is not about my cycle; This is about my routine. But just assume that I am on a gain mass cycle when correcting or critiquing my routine. I did have a routine planned out, I am just burned out on it and wanted to put one down on paper.
    No, this is about your cycle as whether or not you're on the juice affects how much you can handle.

Though I certainly hope you're not juicing because, judging from the fact that you have no idea how to train, it will only result in bad things.
    Last edited by Paul Stagg; 09-30-2005 at 04:10 PM.
    Vin Diesel has a fever.. and the only prescription is more cowbell.

Budiak: That girl I maced
    Budiak: macked
    Budiak: heh maced
    Budiak: I wish

ShmrckPmp5: a good thing people can't fire guns through the computer...your ass would have been shot years ago

Y2A 47: youre smooth as hell
    Y2A 47: thats why you get outta tickets, and into panties

galileo: you're a fucking beast and I hate you
    galileo: hate

assgrabbers are never subtile, they will grabb ass whereever they go,public or not, I know the type, because I am one. - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL
    No, this is about your cycle as whether or not you're on the juice affects how much you can handle.

Though I certainly hope you're not juicing because, judging from the fact that you have no idea how to train, it will only result in bad things.
    I'm not "Juicing".I'm doing a 3 week cycle of Superdrol. I'm not trying to sound cocky, but I do have a basic idea of how to train. The routine that I posted above is nothing like how I currently train. I've been on my current cycle for a week now. So far I've gained a total of 10lbs, sounds a bit far fetch, but its the honest truth. My weight today was 215lbs. I started at 205lbs. Powerman I'm not arguing man, I just want to make sure that I have a good solid routine for my next 2 weeks. Thanx alot.

Ryan aka Fighter In Snatch

Quote Originally Posted by cosmicdebree88
    You decide to go with that SD? If so you don't want to be doing as much volume as you planned out. Yes, it does take more to overtrain while using anabolics (SD is an anabolic btw) but that does not mean you can just go crazy and completely forget about overtraining... I just finished a 5day/week routine that worked pretty well for me (had to stop due to time constraints), it looked like this:

Mon-Chest
    3 sets BB BP 8/6/4
    2 sets DB inc BP 8/6
    2 sets DB dec BP 8/6

Tues-Back
    4 sets BB BO rows 10/8/6/4
    2 sets DB rows 8/6
    2 sets pullups 8/6

Wed-Legs
    5 sets Squats 12/10/8/6/4
    3-4 sets DL (depending on back pump) 8/6/4/3(?)
    1 set calf raises 12

Thurs-Shoulders
    2 sets BB shoulder press 8/6
    2 sets lateral raises 8/6
    2 sets Arnold Press 8/6

Fri-Bis/Tris
    2 sets OH tri ext. 8/6
    2 sets CGBP 8/6
    2 sets seated BB curl 8/6
    1 set seated Hammer curl 8

I had good results. For what it's worth...

I think this routine sounds great, I just did the chest workout and everything was up. So does anyone also think this routine looks pretty good?

What's the point of using a substance for 3 weeks? All you're going to do is retain some water, maybe put on 2-4 additional pounds which is a combination of fat and muscle, then lose the majority of weight gained when you come off which was water.

edit: no offense, but people such as yourself tend to think since they don't know exactly how to eat or train yet that using a substance like superdrol is a safer and better alternative. In fact, you couldn't be more wrong. Not only is it more dangerous, but it's less effective.
    Last edited by HahnB; 09-30-2005 at 05:35 PM.
    My brother and I were brutal. I once chased him around the house with a spoon that I put on the burner. I burned that little pricks leg. -sharkall2003

Then I saw a little african boy sleeping, and I thought...that is little Okeke. he is tired from herding all the goats and the big goat got away today - Rock

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB
    What's the point of using a substance for 3 weeks? All you're going to do is retain some water, maybe put on 2-4 additional pounds which is a combination of fat and muscle, then lose the majority of weight gained when you come off which was water.

edit: no offense, but people such as yourself tend to think since they don't know exactly how to eat or train yet that using a substance like superdrol is a safer and better alternative. In fact, you couldn't be more wrong. Not only is it more dangerous, but it's less effective.

I'm going to do my best to keep as much of the weight. I honestly do not think that my body fat will go up. I'm eating very clean.

Quote Originally Posted by HahnB

Blah. I give up. I'm not trying to sound like a Mister Know It All. I was'nt ready to stick a needle in my ass yet. I thought this would be a very nice little kick start and motivation to workout harder. I've researched SD alot and have everything I need to prevent any liver damage I should cause. Thanx

Ryan aka Fighter In Snatch

I wannabebig!
    Quote Originally Posted by PowerManDL

:withstupi