Thread: Haven't worked out in years wanting to start again!!

Wannabebig New Member

Haven't worked out in years wanting to start again!!

Hey all. This is my first post. I was sent over here from a friend. I am 23. Graduated college in May and am working now at my first desk job. I played soccer all through high school, and lifted on and off then. I lifted through my first year of college, but haven't since. I weighed about 155 when i graduated, and weigh about 170 now (I'm 5'11"). What I've gained is mostly fat I'm sure. Since moving home, I've gotten used to 3 meals a day, a regular schedule, home cooking, and not much physical activity. I'd like to lose what fat I've gained, and gain at least 10 lb. lean mass. I had a pretty good 6 pack, but most of it is hiding now. My chest/arms/shoulders/legs could definitely be bigger.

Please help me get started working out again with whatever advice you can give. Exercise, lifting, nutrition, etc. BTW, it seems like each time I've started lifting since my freshman year, I get burned out quick cause I get sore as hell for the first week. Any and all info will be appreciated.

Thanks!

welcome to WBB!

HAVE A LOOK AT WBB ROUTINES!

read through the bodybuilding/fitness forum

diet/nutrition forum "best threads on diet and nutrition"
    You will soon see Getfit in OngII Flying Knee Thingys of Doom see if the feisty greek can survive the kicks of Steel Leg From Shaolin Soccer,Dim Mak(def touch) from ChungLee,and Flying Crane by Daniel-san-El Pietro

Spray it with windex greek!-the famous El Pietro

You be quiet or i'll clean and press your narrow francophone self-Callahan

Lift for gains,not glory.Control your ego and the weight

What a strong girl! This leads me to believe you can severly injure most of the male population-Nick Hatfield

You're blazing white hot,anyone ever tell you that? Sometimes i think you have fingers faster then Superman when it comes to posts on WBB forums.
    Hot in terms of both speed and... well new hotness- Stash

gain 50lbs-Anthony

Wannabebig New Member
    Thanks, Getfit. I actually did read through a lot of that stuff. I read through several routines. I thought someone might have a specific routine or advice to give based on my situation and goals. I don't plan on getting huge. I don't want to weigh more than 185 or 190 tops. All of my pants have started to get snug around the waste and that hasn't happened since I was 14 or something and still growing. Anyone have a specific routine or nutritional advice for me?

Thanks!!

BTW, I have a flat bench that I can do incline bench, leg curls, leg extensions on. I also have a pulley machine, but no dip bar or pull up bar.

Wannabebig Member
    DJ, I was in a very similar position, and for the same reason (stuck in cubicle hell). It's ok, and you can recover. Here's what I did...

I picked up some exercise mags. Even if they were Flex or some other rag where all the guys were full of juice that you have no intention of looking like guys in the photos, they keep you motivated. It's so easy when you're in that desk job to put your workouts on the backburner. Reading those mags have kept me going, and all the little tips keep the basic exercise info fresh in my mind.

As far as workouts go, start with some stuff you know, and get your muscle memory back up to snuff. In all likelyhood, your body still remembers how to lift, you just need to remind it. You won't be as stong as you were before, but you may be pleasantly suprised how quickly you can get back up to speed.

I didn't set any goals for a month or two. I just worked on getting my form and strength back, getting back into the general "routine" of exercising and eating right. However, once I was back into the swing, I found following a strict routine (like the ones on this board) very helpful. It gave me good order in my workout, making me feel "obligated" to workout, because I had a "to do" list, which is sometimes hard to face after a long day at the office. But when you look at the routine and say "Well, this is on the schedule" I felt I just had to do it.

Hang in there. The changes you had in your weight were similar to mine, and I was having that "I'm not fat, but I don't remember these pants fitting so tight" feeling too. Well, I'm back to fitting in the same pants I was years ago, and my sleeves are nice and snug.

Wannabebig Member
    Oh and another thing! Certain muscles got a lot weaker than others. There were definetely exerises that didn't go down (poundage-wise) that bad, so I'd get cocky and move to another muscle/exercise, and say "Ok, that's a real weakpoint."

Hey there!

Getting huge isn't all that easy. LOL!

Basically, train like you want to get huge, eat like you want to stay the same, and you'll lean out.

Train like you want to get huge, eat a little more than you need, you'll gain.

Stop when you think you're done. <smirk>

You are starting pretty close to where I did.

I started out doing what rbc suggests, but I didn't have this resource to tell me the information inthe muscle rags is pretty worthless.

A couple of suggestions:

Join a gym
    Start out with a basic routine (squats, presses, rows, etc) and stick with it for 6 months to a year
    Learn about diet
    Stick with it.

You aren't going to blow up to 230 overnight.
    Squats work better than supplements.
    "You know, if I thought like that, I'd never put more than one plate on the bar for anything, I'd never use bands or chains, I'd never squat to parallel or below, and I'd never let out the slightest grunt when I lift. At some point in your lifting career (assuming you're planning on getting reasonably strong and big), you're going to have to accept that most people think you are some kind of freak." -Sensei
    "You're wrong, and I have a completely irrelevant pubmed abstract that may or may not say so." - Belial
    I has a blog.
    I has a facebook.

Wannabebig New Member
    Thank you all for the advice and encouragement!! It's very much appreciated!