The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Thread: Torn AC joint

Wannabebig Member

Torn AC joint

Anybody else here working out on a torn AC joint? Just wondering how your progress may be going?

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Banned
    many of my friends and teammates have had ACL injuries

have you had surgery and/or are you rehabbing?

If you mean a torn shoulder AC, I have had one for 4 years now and cannot bench press with a barbell without a lot of pain, but I can do heavy Dips and heavy Dumbbell presses with no problem. My doctor told me to hold off for as long as I can stand the pain. The AC will heal but it will not be 100% unless surgery is performed. You will also develop a bone spur on the top of your shoulder where the AC is located. This also requires surgery to shave down.

If you do need surgery I hear its worth it and very simple. A lot better than getting your rotator cuff area worked on.
    Current Stats --------------- Training Goals: Improve athletic conditioning.
    Squat - 305lbs - 1/23/06 ----- 335
    Deadlift - 415lbs - 2/4/06 ---- 435
    Bench - 90s*7 ----------------- 100s*5
    Weight - 208 ------------------ 190
    Height - 5'10"

My Journal|My Routine|My FitDay
    WBBB|"Many of life's failures are people who did not realize how close they were to success when they gave up" - Thomas Edison

Wannabebig Member
    yes I do mean the shoulder. It has been a little over a year since Ive torn my AC joint. And it was completely torn. A rock wood III tear. I do have the prominent bone that sticks up in the shoulder. but I actually have more range of motion in the shoulder now with very little pain. Guess I'm lucky in that regaurd. My main concern was how it affected your overall progress in the gym.....ie are you able to make gains like before or are you lagging in the shoulder region because you are favoring your shoulder.

thanks for the replies guys.

Wannabebig Member
    Also guys I was fairly built before my injury so im trying to make a comeback.
    I will be posting pics soon on my current status. I was a member before some may remember me "Kinetixtrainer". I was actually banned while I was out for my shoulder injury. I dont know why that happened but I hope that doesnt get me banned again. If any moderater can enlighten me on that situation would be nice. Please dont ban me again I mean no harm. but if anyone wishes to see what I looked like before my injury do a search under Kinetixtrainer and then click on my post 1st pic. The latest pics are on page 4 of the thread.

Also to the mods if you find that my being banned was a mistake could my original account be reactivated? Thanks Chris

Chris

I had to take about 6-9 months off from doing any shoulder lifting movement. I had a couple of Cortisol shots too but like any drug that euphoria was only temporary. After coming back I noticed, and still do several years later, that when I do a barbell bench the pain in the injured shoulder will become too much for me to continue. I was working out with 250 pounds barbell benching several years ago but just had to stop. So I guess the injury has held me back from any kind of Powerlifting competition. What is strange though is that I can Dip with 300 pounds(bodyweight + 75lb plates) and Dumbbell Bench with 100lb dumbbells with no pain whatsoever. It is hard to understand considering these two excercises are very shoulder intensive.

Wannabebig Member
    thanks for the feedback hard to squat. Its good to talk to someone who has gone through the same thing. In my circle of friends no one else has had to deal with this. but as far as the shoulder you injured, did you have surgery and if you did how did that go?

No, I have not had surgery on it. I tore the AC completely four years ago to the month actually. My Ortho surgeon said that he would recommend an operation only if it really impedes every day activities or if the shoulder is quite immobile. The only thing that causes me a problem in my life with the shoulder though is barbell benching, and I can live without those as long as I can still do Dips and Dumbbells w/o pain!

Wannabebig Member
    that is what my doc said as well. I actually have no pain when i bench. The knot on my shoulder drove me crazy while at the beach this summer though. Again thanks