The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS

Hybrid View

weight lifting straps

if any, what kind of straps do you guys/gals use for deads/lat pull downs/etc?

i have gofit 100% cotton straps but everytime i use them for heavy deads, i end up with wrist burn marks. i bought the gofit leather straps and they turned out too wide (3" wide )

i seen few on ebay that have the padded cotton straps like valeo/harbinger http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

any straps out there that are 1.5" wide, soft wrist support material, and quality? my budget is $15
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 09-28-2005 at 05:37 PM.

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Cheap ass Harbingers that I picked up from Garts Sports for like 6 bucks. I only use my straps for maxing out my deadlifts.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

i had a pair of harbingers that were padded, everyone said how nice they were... i couldnt break them in. I use my old straps there nicely brokin in, yea i get the burn marks.. but just suck it up.

how you like the harbingers as for wrist support and specifically for deads?

is the padding thick or thin layered?
    Last edited by jtteg_x; 09-28-2005 at 06:16 PM.

i didnt like them at all, felt very akward.. deads esp. it just felt like the bar was slippin rite thro my wraps.. the paddin isnt thick at all. just MO

Getting un-streamlined Progress's Avatar
    I've been using APT Pro Wrist straps. I love them when going heavy.

Improve your grip. Then you won't have to worry about wrist burn anymore.

Stats: Age: 34 Weight: 205 Height: 5'6"
    Gym PRs: Squat:635 Bench:560 Deadlift:495
    Meet PRs: Squat:575 Bench:520 Deadlift:510 Total: 1605@220

To be honest, I haven't used anything other than the Harbingers yet. So far, I think they suck a big donkey dingy. They do slip and are a little bit on the bulky side. And as for the padding...yeah right.
    32 yo - 5'6" - 170 lbs
    USAPL Meet PRs (Raw @154 lbs): 347 SQ, 242 BP, 507 DL, 1096 TOTAL
    Gym PRs: 370 SQ, 270 BP, 510 DL

The Riddle Of Iron - Kiaran's Garage Training Log

which ones?

apt's line up of straps look promising

im just gonna dish out the extra bucks and get some quality ones, dont want to go thru a 4th set. so far im leaning toward...

APT Ultimate Pro Wrist Strap: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&v=glance

OR

APT's Mega Grip Pro Wrist Straps 2" wide: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...goods&v=glance

what you guys think?

+1 for prowriststraps.com. ALL wrist straps wear out. I bought 8 pairs of the APT straps for like $16. At <$2 per pair, who cares if they only last 6 months. They've been holding up as well as, if not better, than the $6 ones I've purchased before.
    The Gods taught us to forge Iron so that we would not be slaves-----old Germanic saying

buy a chin up bar, sell the arm curl bar---Roddy

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x
    im just gonna dish out the extra bucks and get some quality ones, dont want to go thru a 4th set. so far im leaning toward...
    If you are wearing out wrist straps through regular use, then you really need to develop grip strength.

A 400lb deadlift should not require straps, and this can be corrected with a relatively short grip training period of 2-4 months.

The journal / I live here.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    If you are wearing out wrist straps through regular use, then you really need to develop grip strength.
    Maybe, but maybe not. I feel that I have a decent grip, but if I am doing reps w. an overhand grip, I will need straps. I don't use a mixed grip for reps because I feel like my torso gets twisted when I do.

A 400lb deadlift should not require straps, and this can be corrected with a relatively short grip training period of 2-4 months.
    If you are talking about a mixed grip, I agree w. you. If you are saying everyone should have enough hand strength to hold onto 400 w. a pronated grip, I don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Sensei
    Maybe, but maybe not. I feel that I have a decent grip, but if I am doing reps w. an overhand grip, I will need straps. I don't use a mixed grip for reps because I feel like my torso gets twisted when I do.

If you are talking about a mixed grip, I agree w. you. If you are saying everyone should have enough hand strength to hold onto 400 w. a pronated grip, I don't.
    I'm not saying you shouldn't use straps. Go for it.

I'm saying you shouldn't be using straps SO MUCH that they wear out on any sort of regular basis. I've used the same pair of harbinger POSes for years and they're not even close to being worn out.

If I were to start from scratch as a young 13 year old again, I would do every press, squat, and perhaps deadlifts, for my entire career with chains. -- Dan John

Quote Originally Posted by MixmasterNash
    I'm saying you shouldn't be using straps SO MUCH that they wear out on any sort of regular basis. I've used the same pair of harbinger POSes for years and they're not even close to being worn out.
    I agree w. that, I only have to replace my straps if I lose them, but there are some pretty crummy straps out there that can't take much abuse...

P.S.
    How are you, this is a fast update from APT for Sept 05.
    15% off for 30 days on any size orders, just use the code of "APT" when you order or call in your order!!! "APT",.. just type APT as the code!!

I have also been VERY satisfied by APT's gear and service.
    http://www.prowriststraps.com/

my 2 sets of straps arent worn, im just not satisfied with them as the wrist support isnt the greatest. i use my straps when im doing heavy deads (mixed grip). i go moderate and overhand grip to develop grip strength but im lacking their.

thanks for the coupon code... any idea when is the last day til its effective?

http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=30183
    straps built to order

Quote Originally Posted by jtteg_x
    my 2 sets of straps arent worn, im just not satisfied with them as the wrist support isnt the greatest. i use my straps when im doing heavy deads (mixed grip). i go moderate and overhand grip to develop grip strength but im lacking their.

thanks for the coupon code... any idea when is the last day til its effective?

http://www.prowriststraps.com/inc/pdetail?v=1&pid=30183
    straps built to order
    Code should be good for about a month. Don't know though.

NEVER use straps with a mixed grip. EVER. Very dangerous for your biceps. The straps should be enough to allow for double overhand.