Thread: Behind the back Upright Row??

hammin'

Behind the back Upright Row??

I saw them on Lee Haney's show, TotaLEE Fit...... (don't laugh at the name, because I did)

Anyway, it's like a behind the back shrug, except you obviously use less weight and flex at the elbows, pulling the bar to your lumbar region.

Has anyone done them? Just doing the movement, it feels like it'd be a hell of a workout on your traps.
    They say that when your ships comes in
    The first man takes the sails
    Second takes the afterdeck
    The third: the planks and rails.

3:16
    as you flex your elbows it will become more a delt exercise.

not tried them and NO intention of trying them, but I am not that supple and I do not do behind the neck press either.

though i am picturing the movement in my head.

is there a vidoe of it on EREX?
    my exprience - joined gym 10 years ago, 6 1/2 years hard weight training exprience.

Yea i do them have been for a while, i do like 6reps, with about 30kg something like that, not 2 heavy.

**** im talking about normal upright row not behind the back soz :S

Awesome exercise!

Ronnie Coleman also happens to do them and you can see him do them in his video.

Interesting that 2 of the Mr. Olympia winners with the most wins and the best backs both do/did the exercise, no?

I first learned it from a national level bodybuilder who owned the Powerhouse gym I trained at in my late teens early 20s. He would do them on a Smith machine with a bit of a forward lean and that makes the movement even better!

It really blasts your traps and does so more completely than standard shrugs.
    Last edited by chris mason; 10-01-2005 at 05:59 AM.

AtLarge Nutrition Supplements Get the best supplements and help support Wannabebig!

How do you do them have you got the time to explain sounds cool?

Do that voodoo that he do
    With my beaten up shoulders I'd be lucky to do this with much more than a broomstick, but this is how one would do it:

Hold the bar behind your back with your arms straight. Keeping the bar close to your body (not that you'll have a choice), bend at the elbows and start pulling the bar up your back.

It'll look like this, but with the bar behind your back:

http://www.exrx.net/WeightExercises/...prightRow.html

Obviously you won't be able to pull the bar as high.

Personally, I think that for a lot of people these are shoulder problems waiting to happen. Be very careful with your loading and volume parameters.
    Be a man. Be awesome at it. Be proud of it. Beyond the Barbell

"Borris is correct. That sounds logical if you ask me."
    -galileo

**** these make my shoulders hurt just thinking about how I'd go through the motion. I might be staying away from these- excellent exercise or not.
    530S/320B/475D
    With strength I burn

I used to do them when I had access to a Smith machine and would only bring them up just past my ass.... I have to tell you, I never worked my traps as hard as when I was doing those...

still dislikes Art Atwood Hatred's Avatar
    My Butt would stop the bar in it's tracks. No intention of ever trying them.
    Out of the night that covers me,Black as the Pit from pole to pole,I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul. In The fell clutch of circumstance I have not winced nor cried aloud. Under the bludgeonings of chance my head is bloody, but unbowed. Beyond this place of wrath and tears looms but the horror of the shade And yet the menace of the years finds, and shall find, me unafraid. It matters not how strait the gate how charged with punishments the scroll,I am the master of my fate: I am the captain of my soul.
    Twitter: @joshuagbsn Follow me as I laugh at the world, and you.

Lol
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205