Thread: Flat, Incline and Decline Bench Press ?

Flat, Incline and Decline Bench Press ?

I was just wondering what is the difference between Flat, Incline and Decline Bench Press ? All ive ever been doing is flat bench press but ive heard of peope doing incline and decline.... whats the difference? is it worth it? thanks for any info...

K so thats all isit? And whats your rotator cuff your wrist i presume?

Ok thanks. Can you lift the same weight though as normal flat bench, plus i heard something about incline is for ur upper chest, flat is for middle, and decline is for lower but im not sure... is that true?

I do them all.

It's good to alternate.

Ok thanks. On incline can you still lift the same amount of weight as you would on flat ? (couldnt find an answer in otherposts built)

for the average population, most people can bench more on decline and far less on incline, and flat bench is somewhere in between. There's no definite percentage because it varies between individuals.

Wannabebig Member
    Incline's, flat, and declines, while all working the chest, use different supporting muscles. Inclines use more front delt and decline use more tricep.

You can lift more on flat than on incline and more on decline than on flat. Well, this is true in most people.

It's definitely worth it. Try it and you'll see.
    "It's all about the diet. If you eat like crap, expect to look that way."

K thanks for the info guys.... Problem is my bench wont go decline it'l only go incline ( i work out at home). Anyway i'l definetly give incline a try...

Atm im benching 76kg 167.2 lbs for 6reps max. Roughly how much do you think i should try on incline to hit about 8reps? Im guessing about 60kg? And because its less weight how often should i do it like on my bench day?

One more thing on my bench theres about 4different heights for my bench to go incline, which one would you reccomend is best ?? thanks..

like i said, there's no definite answer to the ratio of how much a person can lift from incline to flat and to decline. This is something one has to experience.

And for the incline of the bench, i think the standard angle is 45 degrees. But i would recommend that you try them all. the closer it is to flat, the more chest involves; the higher the incline, the more shoulders involve.

When you do incline, try to keep your ass on the bench. There's this one fellow at my gym, when he does incline bench, he arch his entire body so much that is ass is in the air, and his upperbody is parallel to the ground. He did lift a significatly large amount of weight though... 225lbs. =)

Lol k thanks man. Its my bench day today so i'l give incline a go later..