The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness
Latest Article

The Five Biggest Contradictions in Fitness

Itís no secret that when people contradict themselves, it has the effect of making the flaws in their actions or statements seem glaringly obvious. But what about when WE ourselves get caught contradicting ourselves by someone else?

By: Nick Tumminello Added: January 6th, 2014
More Recent Articles
Contrast Training for Size
By: Lee Boyce
An Interview with Marianne Kane of Girls Gone Strong
By: Jordan Syatt
What Supplements Should I be Taking? By: Jay Wainwright
Bench Like a Girl By: Julia Ladewski
Some Thoughts on Building a Big Pull By: Christopher Mason

Facebook Join Facebook Group       Twitter Follow on Twitter       rss Subscribe via RSS
    Wannabebig Member

Too young to build??

Hey. I am 15yo, 5'10", 140lbs plus/minus a few pounds, I run winter and spring track, and bench 135lbs-150lbs. I have had several years of experience with on/off weight training but only recently have I started training "seriously," lifting 3 times a week (mon-wed-fri) and now adding a detour bar (30g protein) after each workout. I know that technically weight lifting shouldn't stunt growth, but I don't want to take any risks, (my wish is to become at least 6' tall) so I eliminated squatting and leg-straining exercises from my workout. Right now I am trying to put on some mass, but I was wondering if it is too early to do so? Also, assuming the answer is no, how should I approach this? (sorry for the mislead in the subject, i actually have two questions)

Note: I am not as professional as most of the people in this forum, because I read many of the posts and their diets overwhelmed me - I eat about anything thats given to me, small pastry+banana breakfast, typical sandwich for lunch, and dinner's where veggies and real meat is forced on me. With the detour bar, I am trying to increase the amount of protein i intake, but is there perhaps anything you can suggest in a local cvs/pharmacy that might be more effective in my situation?

what i mainly do in the gym, if it is of any help- as you can see i mainly work out my upper body:
    bench, dumbbell flys among two other dumbbell chest exercises that i dont remember the name of, abs, curl, lats/rows, shoulder press, triceps, and occassionally leg curls/extensions

2.    Support Wannabebig and use AtLarge Nutrition Supplements!

Start by reading the articles... they will anwser most basic questions like this....I started at 13 and am very glad I did. So no, your not to young.
    ...watch me reap of what I sow....

and BOOM goes the dynomite!

You are not too young, but if you have to have protein forced on you... you may want to take up croquet instead.

i'm 14 and i'm glad i started about 10 months ago.
    6'1 - 195
    Crossfit Total: Press: 135 - Squat: 315 - Deadlift: 365
    Competition Lifts: Clean: 205 - Bench: 205

Are you working your legs at all? I wasn't aware that squatting at a younger age could stunt growth, I figure it would do the opposite.

If you want to cheaply and easily increase protien intake, drink milk. A lot of people on here drink a gallon a day.

both of the posted links refute the notion that lifting stunts growth.

yea trust me, lifting does not stunt growth bud. I used to think this too, and i worked out any ways, and sure enough I shot past my two older brothers. Arnold lifted at a young age, does he look like he stunted any growth? If anything, it should benefit and increase growth.

and no, you're not too young. i started off and on with weight training since I was like 12. eat eat eat! you're going to have to convert your eating habits (eat lots more protein + carbs, and less sugars) if you want to see serious gains.

Uh Arnold probably isn't the best example... he's not that tall.

But anyway I'm pretty sure everyone's agreed that it doesn't stunt growth.
    ...........||High School||.....||July '05||.......||January '09||
    Bench.........225x1...............275x1.................?
    Squat...........?.......................?....................365x5
    Deadlift........?.....................315x5...............435x5
    Weight........180...................192...................185
    BF%.............?......................12.....................12
    Time to Get Ripped
    Pictures of Me

Senior Member Canadian Crippler's Avatar
    He's 6'1"....
    "I added some db curls with the pink weights for a bit of a burn." - Rookiebldr

"im assuming the holy (big) 3 are: curls, bench, legs?" - Saggas

"had a huge ass burn on my triceps while I was doing those kickbacks, so they'll likely be staying with my exercise program." - Zearoth

"most of my burned calories coming from something called Basal. Wtf does a leaf have to do with any of it?" - Votorx

"We have a lot of people like that on our campus, all hippies and things, that go around preaching against corporations, jocks, preps, accountants, and anyone else that feels the need to shower more than occasionally." - Shankerr

"Damn man why are some women just so demonic and evil.. its like you wanna get a stake and mallet and an erection at the same time." - WBBIRL

Wannabebig Member
    Drop that detour bar and any thought of supplements from CVS or wherever. Save your money and buy chicken breasts, beef and tuna. At your age, you're growing like a weed. Eat clean foods such as brown rice, whole wheat pasta and breads, yams, all natural peanut butter, low fat cheeses, cottage cheese, eggs, milk, green veggies like brocolli and spinach etc. Lift hard, eat right and get plenty of rest and you'll do well.

Quote Originally Posted by def_con_3
    I know that technically weight lifting shouldn't stunt growth, but I don't want to take any risks, (my wish is to become at least 6' tall) so I eliminated squatting and leg-straining exercises from my workout.

Right now I am trying to put on some mass
    Uhm. Based on what you wrote, & I put in bold and underlined for you, Yes you are too young to lift. Your body is not too young, but your way of thinking is.

I suggest you read as much as you can on this forum. Read all of the articles and all of the forum posts multiple times. Go to the journal section and find guys who lift that are around your age (there are many). Pay close attention to the lifts they do, when they do them, how they do them, and most importantly pay ATTENTION to the food they eat.

You mention you would like to put on some mass. You will eventually find out if you read the information on this forum that 3 meals a day isn't going to put any mass on you. Learning how to eat is probably the most important part of this sport.
    If you are seriously wanting to start weight lifting the right way, then you need to put in the time to research all aspects. You are in the right place, and the endless knowledge is right here. What you decide to do with it is up to you.
    Good luck

Wannabebig Member
    anybody see that thing on discovery channel not too long ago about that kid who was the worlds strongest person (in terms of how much he could lift compared to bodyweight)? he had some maniacal dad that was feeding him steroids and on a strict diet with intense lifting and was super built by like age 9. http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk...rdsandrak.html

Wannabebig Member
    Thank you guys for all the help! I will try to follow the advice you suggested.

At 15 your testosterone is in overdrive.......thats the best time to grow.
    And weight lifting will not stunt your growth!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sLip
    anybody see that thing on discovery channel not too long ago about that kid who was the worlds strongest person (in terms of how much he could lift compared to bodyweight)? he had some maniacal dad that was feeding him steroids and on a strict diet with intense lifting and was super built by like age 9. http://www.mymultiplesclerosis.co.uk...rdsandrak.html
    that is incorrect,

richard sandrak didnt do steroids... (may not be 100% true, he was once offered a drink by some people and he didnt know what was in it, but he was too young to refuse or make a decision - who knows what was in it)

his dad is in jail, and has been for a big chunk of his life. he has learned plenty on his own and with the help of his personal trainer and manager.

most of the different websites information on him are so far off and incorrect.

just to let you know.
    Last edited by russ; 10-06-2005 at 06:08 PM.

Wannabebig Member
    that is incorrect,

richard sandrak didnt do steroids... (may not be 100% true, he was once offered a drink by some people and he didnt know what was in it, but he was too young to refuse or make a decision - who knows what was in it)
    yeah i guess i shouldnt have said that. the documentary i watched said they guessed the dad had added testosterone to his shakes, and that the father refused to be interviewed about it with a lie detector, so i just assumed.

Quote Originally Posted by russ
    that is incorrect,

his dad is in jail, and has been for a big chunk of his life. he has learned plenty on his own and with the help of his personal trainer and manager.

most of the different websites information on him are so far off and incorrect.

just to let you know.
    Only his father knows the truth......and he isnt talking...
    Many people in his life suspect that the father was giving him steroids.
    Personally I think its very clear that he was given steroids on a regular basis.
    Last edited by minn0_lee; 10-06-2005 at 07:54 PM.